How to spot a fake Minelab GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now here's a bargain (not), it's a "Cainese import", presently available on Gumtree: :poop:
1627979598_cainese_import.jpg

1627979598_cainese_import2.jpg

1627979598_cainese_import3.jpg

Verdict on this ebay listing

1633753397_1.jpg

1633753397_12sz.jpg

1633753398_21.jpg

1633753398_121.jpg

Serial number and security image are correct for the model

Fake or Authentic?

I'm looking to buy my first detector, cheers

dirtynug said:
Fake or Authentic?

That detector you are interested in is listed on eBay from Mauritania in Africa. By the time you have paid $US1,800 for the detector and $US195 for freight, plus 10% GST on both after conversion to $AU, you'd be spending over $AUD3,000 - which doesn't seem like much of a bargain really, especially for a first detector, which you don't have the experience to properly evaluate if and when it arrives safely.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by "correct for the model". Each serial number is paired with a particular security image hologram - have you verified with Minelab that they are a matching pair and that the serial number is valid?

grubstake said:
dirtynug said:
Fake or Authentic?

That detector you are interested in is listed on eBay from Mauritania in Africa. By the time you have paid $US1,800 for the detector and $US195 for freight, plus 10% GST on both after conversion to $AU, you'd be spending over $AUD3,000 - which doesn't seem like much of a bargain really, especially for a first detector, which you don't have the experience to properly evaluate if and when it arrives safely.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by "correct for the model". Each serial number is paired with a particular security image hologram - have you verified with Minelab that they are a matching pair and that the serial number is valid?
As always sage advice Grubstake! :Y:

Latest posts