How to go about research?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's the question, once you decide on the spot you are thinking about detecting, what should I be looking at in terms of research?
Not trying to ask for areas, just wondering is there a list or order of things I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance

Yep, Trove is pretty amazing.

If in Vic then you can also try the old maps, geological reports, etc that are provided on the Earth Resources pages.

You probably already have but can also try here -

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forums/gold-maps-resources.10/
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forums/gold-localities-information.12/
Google search might turn up something.

However, one of the regulars on here had a saying that went something like "If it is on the internet, it has been flogged". Therefore, putting feet on the ground is sometimes the best research you can do.

Best of luck đź‘Ť

HI Hounddog.
It would help if you could be more specific about what state you are looking at prospecting in. If you are interested in Victoria there are some wonderful free and cheap sources of information that you could be directed to.

HI Hounddog.
It would help if you could be more specific about what state you are looking at prospecting in. If you are interested in Victoria there are some wonderful free and cheap sources of information that you could be directed to.
Hi Hawkear, I do live in Victoria (Melbourne)

I'm not someone who has found any AU I don't believe anyone who says they have or can do it in SA, I have done a lot of research and been trying for 10 years. But, I have found gems, not in SA !!!

My only tip is use maps.go ogle.com.au and become really good at helicopter view.

This is SA

1650426311727.png

I have been to this spot a couple of times and it is 'scary' I couldn't find a house near by and only a land owner would leave such big holes.

Maybe they are to be back filled with ppl with detectors ???

I'm not someone who has found any AU I don't believe anyone who says they have or can do it in SA, I have done a lot of research and been trying for 10 years. But, I have found gems, not in SA !!!

My only tip is use maps.go ogle.com.au and become really good at helicopter view.

This is SA

View attachment 1026

I have been to this spot a couple of times and it is 'scary' I couldn't find a house near by and only a land owner would leave such big holes.

Plenty of people have found gold in SA And do so regularly

G'Day Greg
So u have been on here for 28 days !!!
Not that I'm a suspicious person, but that doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feeling that you have a lot of experience.

This is SA

View attachment 1026

Got to look harder l reckon. Nenad from Phase Technical is one that finds AU on a regular basis in SA

You’ve been looking for 10 years and not found gold!!!
Not that I’m a suspicious person, but that doesn’t give me any warm fuzzy feeling that you have a lot of ability.

Would you believe Nenad Lonic? He says he’s found Gold in SA.

p.s. A persons time on a forum by no means is an indicator of their experience or lack thier of.

Got to look harder l reckon. Nenad from Phase Technical is one that finds AU on a regular basis in SA
I have paid and been on a PT training day with Nenad, he's a nice enough bloke, but I had been to the 'good spot' he took me too twice previously and I found this from my research.

He didn't tell me anything I didn't know and I asked him before I went on the course if he did tag along, which is what I really wanted 'not another training day'.

He told me he would talk to me about the tag along during the training day, but I couldn't get any details from him about this even in follow up emails.

I have been on more than 5 training days and no one has been able to tell me your are doing this or that wrong !!!

What really upset me was his advise about how to 'read' the terrain, it was not anything like 'find a river bed', in fact it was the opposite and I recorded him so I can replay the audio so make certain I heard what I heard.

This is SA

View attachment 1026

Don't look real scary to me.
Looks like a nice line of old diggings running through there. Without knowing the area it looks like they could be following an old lead given the proximity of what appears to be the current gully or creek. Given the amount & close proximity to each other I'd assume that ground was better than marginal where you'd see only an occasional hole for testing - possibly as per the opposite side where there is only the occasional obvious digging. The area may have been fine gold so not great detecting either? What did your research tell you about gold in that area?
The colouration change of the ground from left (lighter looking soil) to the right into a more reddish mineralised soil is also interesting given the diggings are in that mineralised area.
Expanding your search out may find other areas where this is apparent & worthy of checking.

Here's the question, once you decide on the spot you are thinking about detecting, what should I be looking at in terms of research?
Not trying to ask for areas, just wondering is there a list or order of things I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance
Assuming your research has already led you to decide that it's worth detecting i.e. probable detectable gold then:
1. Land status - public land (Crown, Reserve, Managed etc.), Crown Land under tenure, private land, mining tenure etc.
2. Legal access arrangements - publicly accessible for fossicking/prospecting, permissions required - leaseholder, landowner, mining tenure holder etc.

Have known people that leave these 2 x very important steps out & travel hours to get to their dream spot only to find they can't access it or maybe could have if they made prior arrangements.

HI hounddog
Just some of my suggestions to keep you busy for the next couple of years.
1. PROSPECTING MAPS. Tully, Barnham and Stone have done a lot of groundwork for you and have produced maps for a lot of the goldfields. You can purchase these readily at your nearest prospecting shop. I would thoroughly recommend The Tully and Barnham ones as they are bound in A4 size booklets and convenient and durable enough to take out into the field with you.
2 EARTH RESOURCES Vic has a vast library of geological publications. Many of which were produced by the Victorian Geological Survey (VGS) in the early days.
Some of the things that you can download for free are
Maps - Goldfields maps, Deep Lead maps, Published and Unpublished geological parish plans, Geological quarter sheets, to name a few.
Bulletins and Memoirs of the VGS – these cover contemporary reports by geologists on various goldfields, and geological features in Victoria including one which lists all the recorded nuggets over 20 ounces found up til the date of publication.

3. Libraries often contain local histories written by residents.
4. Trove as mentioned by others is a good source of local history.
5. Nothing beats understanding how gold deposits and in particular how alluvial gold deposits are formed. So general reading and an understanding of Geology is important. A good source of information how early gold mining took place in Victoria is Brough-Smythes large book on the “Goldfields and Mineral districts of Victoria”. An expensive book to buy but you may be able to access a cheaper version through a library.
All of the above is not much use if you do not detect well and have an adequate detector, so heed all the advice about good detecting practices and when you do get out there - Good Luck and tell me where you found a patch. Just Joking.

I have paid and been on a PT training day with Nenad, he's a nice enough bloke, but I had been to the 'good spot' he took me too twice previously and I found this from my research.

He didn't tell me anything I didn't know and I asked him before I went on the course if he did tag along, which is what I really wanted 'not another training day'.

He told me he would talk to me about the tag along during the training day, but I couldn't get any details from him about this even in follow up emails.

I have been on more than 5 training days and no one has been able to tell me your are doing this or that wrong !!!

What really upset me was his advise about how to 'read' the terrain, it was not anything like 'find a river bed', in fact it was the opposite and I recorded him so I can replay the audio so make certain I heard what I heard.
Not to sure what to say here actually?
I guess for my money if you were both in my paddock and you went one way and Nenad the other you would find yourself on your own .
Also dont understand why if the pros cannot tell anything you don't already know then why do you keep paying for lessons ?
Ya just gotta keep at as there is no magic answer that anyone can give you that I'm aware of. Incidentally you nay not be doing anything wrong,your simply just not walking over it probably

Last edited:
G'Day Dig

Not to sure what to say here actually?

Maybe it would have been better to leave it at that ???

I guess for my money if you were both in my paddock and you went one way and Nenad the other you would find yourself on your own .

What is this ???

You think I'm an idiot because I didn't follow Nenad around on the training day ???

Nenad told me a couple of things that tell me he is not 'collection' as much AU he you think he is.

Also dont understand why if the pros cannot tell anything you don't already know then why do you keep paying for lessons ?

So over 10 years I have tried to improve and I believed that the EXPERTS had something to offer so I was stupid enough to hand over my cash and get ripped off !!!

I wish I had got advise from you X years ago, then I would not have wasted so much of my time and $$$s with EXPERTS

Latest posts