How Emergency Services View Prospectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLOOX

Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attached is an excerpt from the Qld Fire & Emergency Services Land Search and Rescue Training Guide.

It is from the section of profiles of types of people they may have to search for.

I went thru the dot points and, with the exception of the GPS/map/compass one ( I ALWAYS carry those), I thought Yup they have me nailed :)

QFES Land Search Learner Guide Prospector Profile.JPG

A lot of us think of ourselves as bombproof whilst in the bush thinking we each have an inner Boy Scout that takes notice of things like the time of day*, the position of the sun, distant landmarks, the trend of ridges and creeks etc.
I was one until a couple of events in my past have now changed my thinking.
The first was up at Wedderburn prospecting through a forest of undifferentiated Mallee scrub, it was a heavily clouded day, no inkling of where the sun was, no compass, no gps, no watch -useless anyway, I became totally disoriented.
The second was in hilly country around Castlemaine again no gps, and I followed a side gully up over a ridge into another creek which I KNEW from the maps linked back to the bottom of the gully we parked in. Problem was the creek had banks so steep I couldn’t see over them and walked on past the gully I wanted by a considerable distance.
Younger and fitter then, I laughed the experiences off, but now older and less fit and with the realization that if those things had happened just on nightfall things would be much more serious.
* I have often wondered why Minelab have not bothered with a clock and alarm feature on their detectors as being reminded of the time for a prearranged rendezvous with mates could be worthwhile. It may also assist older people better manage their detecting time.

A lot of us think of ourselves as bombproof whilst in the bush thinking we each have an inner Boy Scout that takes notice of things like the time of day*, the position of the sun, distant landmarks, the trend of ridges and creeks etc.
I was one until a couple of events in my past have now changed my thinking.
The first was up at Wedderburn prospecting through a forest of undifferentiated Mallee scrub, it was a heavily clouded day, no inkling of where the sun was, no compass, no gps, no watch -useless anyway, I became totally disoriented.
The second was in hilly country around Castlemaine again no gps, and I followed a side gully up over a ridge into another creek which I KNEW from the maps linked back to the bottom of the gully we parked in. Problem was the creek had banks so steep I couldn’t see over them and walked on past the gully I wanted by a considerable distance.
Younger and fitter then, I laughed the experiences off, but now older and less fit and with the realization that if those things had happened just on nightfall things would be much more serious.
* I have often wondered why Minelab have not bothered with a clock and alarm feature on their detectors as being reminded of the time for a prearranged rendezvous with mates could be worthwhile. It may also assist older people better manage their detecting time.
" Minelab have not bothered with a clock and alarm feature" - most people have other alarms they can use. I used to like equipment with as many whistles and bells as possible, but nowadays KISS seems a good idea. Put your phone on vibrate.....

Overall I would agree on the need to keep things simple, but the price can be that if you don’t have all the “bells and whistles“ on one device you end up having to deal with multiple devices.
I would have thought that the time is one of the most important things to know when out prospecting so I would not regard that as an optional bell or whistle. Exhausting oneself by staying out too long, missing rendezvous or not realizing how quickly darkness is approaching can be serious safety issues.
I suppose the question could be asked what are the things that you should carry when you are out prospecting and just how many separate items is it practicable to carry and use.
Water, GPS, hand held radio, epirb, watch, mobile phone? Others might want to carry extras like a small first aid kit, pinpointer, things like enhancers and other prospecting accessories.
A mobile phone is one of the last things I would take. I also leave my wrist watch behind as in the past I have twisted and buggered up the band by putting it in my pocket. I now have a small ladies watch with the band removed and which I can tie onto my harness like a nurses watch but it has no alarm facility.

Overall I would agree on the need to keep things simple, but the price can be that if you don’t have all the “bells and whistles“ on one device you end up having to deal with multiple devices.
the only problem with that is, if your bell breaks it usually disables your whistle too. Better to have a simple bell and a simple whistle

I would have thought that the time is one of the most important things to know when out prospecting so I would not regard that as an optional bell or whistle. Exhausting oneself by staying out too long, missing rendezvous or not realizing how quickly darkness is approaching can be serious safety issues.
I suppose the question could be asked what are the things that you should carry when you are out prospecting and just how many separate items is it practicable to carry and use.
Water, GPS, hand held radio, epirb, watch, mobile phone? Others might want to carry extras like a small first aid kit, pinpointer, things like enhancers and other prospecting accessories.
A mobile phone is one of the last things I would take. I also leave my wrist watch behind as in the past I have twisted and buggered up the band by putting it in my pocket. I now have a small ladies watch with the band removed and which I can tie onto my harness like a nurses watch but it has no alarm facility.
Depends where you are. On the central Victorian goldfields water would be the most essential. My phone is also my GPS, shows me where I am on a map (which I have it registered in GIS), tells me the time, operates as an alarm and is usually useful for communications. I don't like things hanging everywhere so carry the phone in an army phone pouch. Doesn't just tell me the times but I can set the alarm to tell me when to knock off. You don't need lots of devices. Detecting is distracting but I note how far in each direction to the nearest track when I start, and even a watch is a compass (although I have a digital compass on my phone).

Elsewhere satphone instead, and SPOT tracker. I won't work alone in really remote areas -buggered if I want the embarrassment of an extended rescue, putting others at risk. In places like eastern Victoria I have a standard form that I leave in camp that gives my intended movements for that day. My wife can locate me to within a few tens of metres at any time using SPOT with my location automatically superimposed on a topo map on her screen (but I am moving to something cheaper - damned US dollar).

For the event of lost;
apart from the electronics, my day pack has, Water
First aid kit.
Small 5hr lithium torch
6" sheathed knife
A water purifying straw
Waterproof matches
Lighter
Gloves
Yellow and Red elec (trail) tape.
I carry that - and much more - in the vehicle. I was referring to what I carry walking away from the vehicle. Then the main things you need are those that get you back to the vehicle (plus more water than you expect you will need).

as a kid l grew up in the bush, so with that thinking l thought l knew what l was doing until one day way out in the scrub near Gelantipy victoria while doing some survey work for telstra l walked not 20-30 metres into the scrub looking for the cable route and became totally disoriented. first throught was this can't happen to me, but wrong
again. l now look at my start point and the surrounding with a plan of how to get back.

I prefer to just keep the car in sight. That way I not only don't get lost but also don't have the car fiddled with.
And you know it is a safe area in that most people do their detecting there......

🤔

Last edited:
as a kid l grew up in the bush, so with that thinking l thought l knew what l was doing until one day way out in the scrub near Gelantipy victoria while doing some survey work for telstra l walked not 20-30 metres into the scrub looking for the cable route and became totally disoriented. first throught was this can't happen to me, but wrong
again. l now look at my start point and the surrounding with a plan of how to get back.
A bit more remote than central Victoria....

Map, map , map learn how to read one and carry one for the area with you ................... it really is that easy because if you have a map and get lost then you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place perhaps 🤔 . Rescue as a result of injury one cannot do much about, but having to be rescued because you got lost shouldn't happen. Just my humble opinion. Many are lucky in that they have a sense of direction of a homing pigeon, but others as I said to a mate of mine out with me once, "Mate you have the sense of direction like a compass in a bag of magnets"
Something that may also help some to be a bit more "responsible" for lack of a better word, is that the onus of station owners having to go out and find people is also the reason why some have shut the gates. They simply just got sick of wearing the cost of having to do so.

Last edited:
GPS and PLB together with common sense and pre-researching your location gets you half way there. Small back pack with water, space blanket, couple of oranges, lighter is optional if you are not a bush oriented or experienced prospector also helps. The article to me is directed at the new chums, and in that has some merit. Spent my life prospecting in the most remote locations in the country but still take the bush seriously...same as I respect the ocean.

I ALWAYS have my phone since even when no reception it is a gps, offline topo & sat maps, compass, torch & camera but since breaking it would take out too many vital items at once I also have usb sized GPS with just car position in it, a compass, a combined PLB/ Sat SMS /GPS device & also water bottle. All that stays on my prospecting belt fulltime so I cant forget to take any of it .

That is minimum, even if I know the area, the topography is unmistakable and I am only going for a little play without my backpack ( which has the usual boy scout survival kit in it, more water etc).

Nothing like having edge of a 3m creek bank collapse when you are standing on top of it to appreciate that even if you are 15min drive from your house you can still be a LONG way from help if you have a busted leg ( not that time but damn well felt like it).

Once in the thicker brigalow in Clermont I have been 30m from my car according to my GPS & I walked by the damn thing three times without seeing it. I knew where I was , just not where the car was :).

Also in Birmigan East Clermont where there are gullies that feed gullys that feed gullys ad infinitum without there being clear sense of major & minor gullies or any other land marks visible more than 100m away, I have more than once "followed my nose" home only to find the sun setting in the East :) Thank god for GPS.

Last edited:
Hi XLOOX. what's the make of the USB key sized G.P.S. that you have? That's what I need. wiley.

Canmore G-Porter GPS. It appears to have got 50% more expensive than when I got it about 5y ago. It is basic but fine for a backup "go home"" device.

Garmin Inreach Mini 2 is great too - It is an Iridium Sat SMS device + basic GPS + e-compass + sort of PLB all in one ~$550 +$25pm but can pause subscription if not going to use it for a few months.

Attachments

• GPorter GPS.JPG
    GPorter GPS.JPG
    503 KB · Views: 0
  • Garmin Inreach Mini  & Canmore Gporter & PLB1.jpg
    Garmin Inreach Mini & Canmore Gporter & PLB1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts