How did you lose your { gold} cherry?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1984 for me. I grew up around Castlemaine and each year our school would run activities before the Christmas holidays. One of them was gold panning Forest Creek which runs through town. I'll never forget it, there was gold in every pan, no joke! But super fine, not enough you make you rich. A friend's brother at that time would go out Glenluce way after rain and literally pick up "pickers" in the creeks, I still remember the jar of gold. I was obsessed with it for a while then forgot all about it (typical kid). Moved to Avoca about 10 years ago and had an epiphany walking the dog through some old diggings and bought a detector, the rest is history! Now I get the jitters if I don't get to go detecting at least twice a week! I get even worse if I don't find anything, 🙃

After spending 1979 dredging I got 4 Oz the wife wanted to try Metal detecting so we did. Spent 10 weeks in Wedderburn detecting at least 10 hours every day trying virgin ground and found nil. Change holidays to Maryborough during 1980. Can't remember first nugget but best day in Maryborough I got 19 Oz in the morning and got the total for the day to over 26+ Oz when I took wife and Workmate to the spot after lunch. Hit WA 2004 from then on and found a few virgin patches that yield a lot better. The first nugget I can't remember.

Edit...... I do remembers the wife's first nugget she reminds me that she got the first often.

Last edited:
Worked at the Dead Horse mine in Nundle in late 90’s. I heard John has given it up, a great time & some great beers drank at The Peel Inn with the locals

Latest posts