How can a list of allowable detecting areas in Victoria be made?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With no experience of locations in Victoria, and being an absolute beginner at detecting as well as knowing nothing of localities there, am looking for advice on how to collate a list of locations other than ones requiring permission from a land/title holder.

The Energy & Earth Resources 'Miners Right' FAQ web site mentions 7 State Parks, 5 National Parks else contact either of 16 Victoria Parks offices for obtaining "information about where I can prospect".

Often I read that people prospect in locations like Dunolly and Moliagul - not among the listed Parks(?). Does this mean that before a trip people have to get some form of verbal or written consent from Victoria Parks to prospect in these venues?

Thanks in advance for any advice and apologies for asking the same on the Camping Forum.

Hi Jon_m

Go here for a look http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/forests/forest-maps. Play with the selectable options and look for the State Forests and specifically the light green areas in the State Forests - you can freely detect in there according to the conditions of your Miners Right.

casper
1391644804_picture_10.jpg

Hi casper

That's great, appreciate your help. Yes I can now see; "... in most State Forests," in the Prospecting Guide. Maybe I saw this a month or so ago?? but have since been stuck on the areas in the FAQ.

What a great tool. Have been buying a couple of maps to test printing hard copies etc from a seemingly similar site at Dept. Environment and Primary Industries, Property Titles & Maps, Maps, Topographic Maps Online (sorry, can't post links yet).

But hadn't come across the online map you provided. It's great. And maybe I'll be able to get some areas into a gps to help not step over boundaries when there, and plan more for some available camp sites etc. So much happening all at once; getting au fait with detectors, gps, regulations and a new Victoria which seems a very friendly state for detecting when compared with things closer to home.

Again appreciate you filling me in with this.
Thanks

1392345667_dunolly_hr_overlay.jpg

Here is roughly the same overlay but showing Heritage Interest/Registered Areas in green which I don't believe can be prospected on? So be careful in assuming that anything listed as state forest can be freely detected