Hot Hot Hot Hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All
Went for a hunt today with a couple of mates
and boy it was one of the hottest days we
have encountered out swinging for quite a while
so we had to watch the fluids and rest up
from time to time.
Great hobby but not worth killing yourself for.
Had some mixed finds but towards the end of the
day we all were doing a happy dance and I'll leave
it to the other boys to share their finds with you.
Keith and I were talking and detecting close by
when bam I hit an 81 on the AT PRO which
I said to Keith it's a Penny which it normally is
but as I dug it right in front of Keith's eyes out
pops this USMC Medal without the bars,
we were gobsmacked!
After doing my happy dance I did a loop detecting and came
back to the hole for a quick check and no way!
there was another signal another 81
I yelled to Keith as he ran over and I pocked around
the hole with my Pro Pointer and there was something
in the side wall and bam the Bars fell out complete
with the backing pin, we looked each other with disbelief
the whole medal was complete, a USMC Shooters Medal with
2 extra bars that read: SS-Pistol and EX-Bayonet
Wow what a day! I'm still buzzing from the
excitement.
I just want to thanks the boys for their support and comradeship
on an Awsome but very hot day out doing what we love best,
this is the most exiting detecting that I enjoy doing
pulling amazing history out of the ground and
preserving it for future generations and sheer
enjoyment of course.
Until next time, may your coils swing often
and Happy Hunting
EM
1420043528_image.jpg

That's a cracker of a medal, even better that it is fully intact. Makes you wonder who originally owned it, and the history behind it. Aree there any identifying marks on it, other than the USMC writing? :)

Nice finds bud. We must be looking in similar areas as those buttons buckles look awefully familar. Yesterday was horrid out there. My shirt was drenched through and my pants the same. Quite unpleasabt but can be worth it at times. Good job

Looks like you've found Detecting Heaven mate,...where even the keys are a sight to behold,...hot fun is still great fun, just leaves you with a dry thirsty throat that needs quenching with suitable electrolytic refreshments(or anything),...it's time to pull the pin when you're out there swinging and sweating profusely in the heat and the bottom of your water bottle is getting close though, just gotta make sure you've still got a good drink back at the vehicle too,...it's too easy to get caught up on a good thing and loose reason in this game.

Found some info for that medal.
Cool find well done.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marksmanship_Badges_(United_States)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marksmanship_Badges_(United_States) said:
The clasps indicated the degree of proficiency by using the letters "SS" for Sharpshooter or "EX" for Expert, followed by the name of the weapon. The exception to this rule was a U.S. Marine Corps Reserve clasps for the .30 Caliber Rifle Course D ("RIFLE-D") which included "MM" for Marksman. Much like the Army Weapon Qualification Clasps, the clasps of the Basic Badge fluctuated with additions and deletions in 1949 and again in 1954.

150px-Former_USMC_Basic_Badge.png

Goldpick said:
That's a cracker of a medal, even better that it is fully intact. Makes you wonder who originally owned it, and the history behind it. Aree there any identifying marks on it, other than the USMC writing? :)
Yeah awsome Medal but no markings
EM

silver said:
Looks like you've found Detecting Heaven mate,...where even the keys are a sight to behold,...hot fun is still great fun, just leaves you with a dry thirsty throat that needs quenching with suitable electrolytic refreshments(or anything),...it's time to pull the pin when you're out there swinging and sweating profusely in the heat and the bottom of your water bottle is getting close though, just gotta make sure you've still got a good drink back at the vehicle too,...it's too easy to get caught up on a good thing and loose reason in this game.
Man I hear you, luck I did all those things you suggested and a coldie waiting for me at home brother :D
The place way exceeds my wildest dreams.
Research and a lot of luck and especially persisance will always pay off.
EM

thanks - what you can't make out (I had to scale the picture down) the vacuum has "CTX 3030" written on the side :)

Latest posts