Hookah pumps safety issue

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If any of you guys are using Hookah pumps , there appears to be an issue i want to investigate

the intake air that is sucked in to the pump is drawn through the guts of the electric drive motor , there is a hole in the side of the pump ( mine had a rubber plug blanking it off ) but the majority of the air comes through the motor (to cool down the motor)

The motor is a carbon brushed with a copper commutator . which means the person using these is going to be breathing in carbon dust and copper dust , both of which are carcinogens.

there is also the electrical charge from sparks on the brushes ( ions ) in the air being breathed.

Does anyone know the real source of these pumps ? , are they really made for breathable air ?

The one that i have had the makers name tag scraped off by the seller to prevent people buying direct from the manufacturer

I think the intake air should not be drawn through the motor

these things need at least a HEPA filter on the outlet hose before it goes to your mask

any thoughts people ?

Could you post up a pic or two HeadsUp
Interested to see what you mean.
The only one I can think of is the middle eastern "tabbaco" smoking thingy.
Cheers
Chris

1370306455_12_volt_dc.jpg

you could try smoking through it i guess , who knows you might find them at parties in Byron or Mullimbimby within a few years

this pump was marketed by Keene for years and you can buy them on ebay , there is a guy selling them albeit under two different ebay user names but its the same guy , same email , same location

not suggesting he is using decoy marketing of course

decoy marketing is where you take a 2 dollar coin , list it for sale at $ 3 knowing it wont sell then list an identical one for sale at $ 2.75 and the 2.75 one sells like hotcakes because "you can see its cheaper"

its about the health issue . i want to know who manufactures these so i can talk to their engineering department about OHS

G'day HeadsUp,

Don't know much about the one you have pictured, But I've been running my Power Dive unit for more than 15 years now and sometimes spend as much as 5 hours at a time underwater. Air tastes pretty clean to me but haven't checked the config on how it's delivered. Check up the power dive units and see if there's any concerns. If you find some please let me know and I'll send Liz down instead..lol. :eek:

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
G'day HeadsUp,

Don't know much about the one you have pictured, But I've been running my Power Dive unit for more than 15 years now and sometimes spend as much as 5 hours at a time underwater. Air tastes pretty clean to me but haven't checked the config on how it's delivered. Check up the power dive units and see if there's any concerns. If you find some please let me know and I'll send Liz down instead..lol. :eek:

Cheers Wal.

i tried getting information from Power Dive a while ago but they didnt reply to my email , i dont have any photos showing the design of them

is yours petrol powered or 12 volt ?

One issue i saw on older petrol powered hookahs was the intake air was too close to the exhaust so you would be getting aquainted with free carbon monoxide , nitrogen dioxide and other nasty critters

Is it a diaphram pump or piston ?

Many years ago i ran a piston style compressor pump through a donaldson filter pack to remove the oil vapour and ozone which is produced but that is not 100 % safe based on current knowledge

I much prefer a teflon or rubber diaphram pump any day , and if its petrol powered then a snorkel at least 5 feet high is preferable.

I cant comment on yours without seeing its intestines sorry.

ps . I discovered my pump was made by Thomas Compressors Ltd in USA but its a superceded model.

Also awaiting a reply from the email i sent to the OHS person there

:)

backcreek said:
Just one question Headsup.
Where do you use it and what for? Are you underwater crevicing or something?

Cheers
Mick

i have used breathable air systems chiefly for welding in confined spaces and when using toxic specialty materials but i do intend to do crevicing with it . yes

man gotta have a hobby . :p

G'day HeadsUp,

Mines 12 volt but instead of running off a deep cycle battery i run mine via the 2kva honda. Set the genny up 30m away and via extension chord to purpose built 12volt converter. From that i run 30m main hose teed off to 2x 8m hose to the 2 regs. Never had any probs with it. If you want any advice on "sniping" just send me a PM and I'll fill you in mate.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts