Home Made Slant Cabber

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I've figured out the water supply, keeping in mind it has to be portable and cheap. 1 bucket upside down with another 1 right way up on top of it full of water with 1 of these
1589355672_flexible_hose.jpg
($8-00) inserted near the bottom

15mm copper drain soldered in,1st wet trial run today, everything seemed to be ok, 99% of the water was caught by the tray, but a fine mist flew around a bit, enough to get things pretty wet around you after an hour or so :/ I think a visit to "clarke rubber" is called for, might find something to make up some sort of "skirt" to catch the spray .

Agreed. I have added cabbing to my list of favourite water sports. :)
Have a go at boulder opal... thatll throw mud in your eye.
You can find a bit of a balance where you deliver just the amount water you need to reduce splatter while keeping your wheel clean and wet.
Also my wife has just found out why I keep all my old tee shirts... rags.

:) Its Fun tho xcvator, The rewards far outweigh the Mess... :lol:

I have seen a Plastic tent used for a cabbing set-up inside... Worked well, but looked horrible in the house... :)

LW...

Got these ready today

1590218538_img_20200523_171509.jpg

Tomorrow I'll glue the foam on these ( 8 of them, thanks Rock Rat :Y: )

1590218591_img_20200523_171532.jpg

And then I can glue these on

1590218641_img_20200523_171525.jpg

So my grit range will be 80,180,400,600,800,1200

This W'n'D was from the BGS, but this place has grits up to 7000
https://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/wet-and-dry-sandpaper-sheets/

A friend of mine is an ex upholsterer and has some off cuts of soft leather that I can use for polishing.
So the question is, should I just go finer and finer with W'n'D or go for the leather after the 1200 grit sandpaper
and what should I use on the leather for polishing ?

Are there any really bad gaps between the grits ?

Yes, this is an interrogation :)

hey Keith, just do one with the foam and paper first and try it out, could rip.
I'd put the paper straight onto the plastic disc, sand paper the disc first to give the glue some adhesion.
Not an expert, just the way i see it.
good luck

xcvator, more than enough to get you started. :Y: The grits are going to depend on the material you're working with, you will probably find you'll move to diamond frisbies on a magnetic backing fairly soon as these will work a lot quicker, plus you'll be looking for diamond grit for stages of pre-polishing on a softer backing to help you can produce a smooth surfaces instead of trying to polish out a series of little flats.

If you were using a drum system, the typical sequence would be 2 or three hard wheels to do your primary shaping before moving to 2 or 3 soft Nova wheels for final smoothing, pre-polishing and finally polish before finishing on cerium or tin oxide to achieve the high gloss.

This would be the typical arrangement for Agate, fossilised wood etc, opal as it is softer is a different sequence, or is for me.

Your next piece of equipment, you may already have one, is a wet diamond saw, thin sintered blade as they outlast plated. This is for tour primary shaping before you hit the laps. An inexpensive tile saw works well depending on the size of the material.

I should know, but to long ago now It looks like BSP, 3/8 BSP maybe. 1/2'' BSP for such a small pipe would probably be to big. So either 1/4 or 3/8 BSP I would recon.
This reminds me of work! haha.

Cheers

Prooz said:
I should know, but to long ago now It looks like BSP, 3/8 BSP maybe. 1/2'' BSP for such a small pipe would probably be to big. So either 1/4 or 3/8 BSP I would recon.
This reminds me of work! haha.

Cheers

They are BSP, will fit any of the brass air fittings, look for a hose tail with a female BSP fitting, 3/8 Female BSP to 6mm hose, Super Cheap or any auto parts shop will have them