Home Made Slant Cabber

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As part of my therapy for depression I am starting this thread both as a diy guide for others but for me too O:)
I'm going to show the steps I take and the final costings at the finish. No this is not my idea, just my interpretation .

Making the slant base

1557140276_1.jpg

1557140289_2.jpg

1557140312_3.jpg

1557140334_4.jpg

1557140366_5.jpg

Setting up the motor position

1557140456_6.jpg

1557140477_7.jpg

Motor is a sewing machine motor with a foot pedal speed controller, threaded shaft is 1/2 " whitworth bolt with the head cut off and a locating hole bored into the end with a locking grub screw in the side. Much longer than I need but pretty easy to cut off to the required length

Started over today as I wasn't happy with a couple of stuff ups, mdf is cheap ;) still the same basic setup

Located the motor properly and had a little cut out to do for the shaft cover to fit

1557395608_8.jpg

Then clamped the motor in position

1557395715_9.jpg

The dish or whatever you call it with the shaft cover

1557395800_10.jpg

1557395925_12.jpg

It will sit something like this, I hope and it's a bit wider than I really wanted but the price was right :)

1557395907_11.jpg

It's a "fruit tray " from target, 9" cake tins are like gold :(

Still got to do a cut out for the power plug, cut down the shaft sleeve to the right length, cut down the shaft, 38 coats of paint to waterproof the beast, mount the dish, fit drain, work out a stand for a water bottle , cover over the motor and power plug.

Then I can start the grinding disks, got some 4mm marine ply for that, still got to get some sort of foam for the sandpaper backing ( suggestions please )

When I've finished I'll list all the bits I have bought and costings, so far $83.63

You could just buy a sanding backing discs from Bunnings that has Velcro on it so you can use Velcro backed sanding discs... These are very cheap from Ebay...

LW....

Disaster I think :8
Cut some discs out of 4mm marine ply and tried 1 on the machine, oh dear, lots of vibration and shaking, so much the whole thing was walking across the bench. :poop:

I'm not sure just whether it's because the disc is not perfectly round or whether the spindle is not running perfectly straight, guess the only way to find out is to get a master disc and try that, I found a cheap 1 at this place.
https://www.gemworld.com.au/products/moreInfo/348/2437/8-inch-master-lap-new

Do you think it's worth a try ?

For the price, it's worth a shot... You don't need anything too expensive when you are just starting out... Go easy and take things slowly. When you feel like it, you can step up in price.. Remember Lapidary IS Expensive if you let it.....
Very hard cutting perfect circles that are used for anything spinning... It took me 2 days to cut and grind a round disc of 10mm steel plate for my flat lap...

LW....

xcvator said:
Cut some discs out of 4mm marine ply and tried 1 on the machine, oh dear, lots of vibration and shaking, so much the whole thing was walking across the bench. :poop:

I'm not sure just whether it's because the disc is not perfectly round or whether the spindle is not running perfectly straight, guess the only way to find out is to get a master disc and try that, I found a cheap 1 at this place.

The ply is inconsistent weight bearing.
For a disc to spin smoothly the weight must be evenly distributed.

xcvator said:

At least you are going to find out if was your ply as Redfin has suggested, or your cutting of the ply or your spindle on the motor... Well worth the $8+ to find out...

I think you will find it is the first one or a combo of the first two... :Y:

Oh and to answer a Question you asked about Dopping, Wax can be a tricky thing for a Beginner... I would try Epoxy or superglue.. Then you can try some wax when you get a better idea... Some I know have never used Wax, they say it can be a pain to work with but have won awards, others swear by it and have won awards... Each to their own...

LW......

Bloody out of stock, geeze I wish people would update their websites when they're selling stuff :mad:

I think I'll have to put this project on the back burner now for a couple months, heading for Lightning Ridge and the Gem Fields start of June, If I order stuff from China it won't get here before I go away 8.(

You may be surprised, I have got things from China in a Week.... Have you looked around for other sites that sell them?

This is the type of sanding backing Pad I was talking about.. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125mm-B...424523?hash=item2f2ce1484b:g:qd4AAOSw7Khcf5NH

Find out the thread size on your spindle and see if they make one to suit or you can get adaptors to suit... Then all you need to do is order the right type of sanding disc... they are cheap enough to buy one for every grit you use so there is no chance of cross-contamination of grits... Just an idea... I use these often... And you can get them in lots of different sizes.....

LW....

LoneWolf said:
You may be surprised, I have got things from China in a Week.... Have you looked around for other sites that sell them?

This is the type of sanding backing Pad I was talking about.. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125mm-B...424523?hash=item2f2ce1484b:g:qd4AAOSw7Khcf5NH

Find out the thread size on your spindle and see if they make one to suit or you can get adaptors to suit... Then all you need to do is order the right type of sanding disc... they are cheap enough to buy one for every grit you use so there is no chance of cross-contamination of grits... Just an idea... I use these often... And you can get them in lots of different sizes.....

LW....

I found 1, 8 inches Diameter but I can't seem to find any wet'n'dry discs with h&l backing to suit :8

Did a bit of experimenting today and I think the main problem is my home made discs or out of wack too much, bugga.

xcvator said:
LoneWolf said:

LW....

I found 1, 8 inches Diameter but I can't seem to find any wet'n'dry discs with h&l backing to suit :8

Did a bit of experimenting today and I think the main problem is my home made discs or out of wack too much, bugga.

Xc, sent you a text message via phone about your discs
Manpa

Redfin said:
xcvator said:

The ply is inconsistent weight bearing.
For a disc to spin smoothly the weight must be evenly distributed.

mate,
I can cut you some discs on my laser, pm me size of disc and hole size. I will use cast acrlic.
RR