home build trailer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mackka as funny as it sounds the air gap is the insulation for the insulation 😂 The denser the material the more easily heat transmits, hence air not having the density of a solid material heat transfer is much less 👍 = insulates. Your avoiding radiant heat into the insulation sheet / inner wall.
Sand Surfer use 40 - 50 mm tube for van frame that allows for say 20mm foil board with spacer and just lay lining on top fastened to frame, going up in tube size means you can drop in wall thickness so weight stays approx the same but makes the build easier rather than having to pack out 25 mm tube for example when it comes to fitting insulation..

Last edited:
OK, that paints a picture....
After the insulation process, I think the next 3 things are equally important.
1. External shade/ cover over your access into the trailer via a awning, so consider that part of the framework that holds it is sufficiently braced to take the forces on it.
2. Water storage... underslung tank or drawbar space for jerrycans.
I had a custom measured 80 litre tank made by these guys.... they make any size/ shape 10mm thick water tanks.https://www.cvplastics.com.au/custom-water-tanks-for-caravans-camping-trailers-horse-floats-
https://www.cvplastics.com.au/custom-water-tanks-for-caravans-camping-trailers-horse-floats-utes3. Waterproof drawbar storage box for your 12 volt setup, etc,
View attachment 1305View attachment 1306
Bloke if that's ya Crib I'm coming to stay at your place ;)😁🤣

thanks diginit a lot of info there mate, it will take a while for all that to sink into this nogging mate
i know the gas regs are a pain in the arse diginit,,i know a gas fitter ,he has ditched his ticket but his father is keeping his ,he reckons there is too much shit with it now, so i was going know where near gas bottles
thanks for the heads on on the home bulid trailer mate i did not know they were thinking of changing the rules ,a check with motor reg if or when i start will be on the list now
i don't do what you would call remote camping ,but i hit the qld gem fields and i have a private property about 3/4 hour drive to town in vic ,there is no structures on the property, but there is a dam for wash water, so no, not remote but you do have to be self sufficient
thanks a lot diginit
sand surfer

thanks diginit a lot of info there mate, it will take a while for all that to sink into this nogging mate
i know the gas regs are a pain in the arse diginit,,i know a gas fitter ,he has ditched his ticket but his father is keeping his ,he reckons there is too much shit with it now, so i was going know where near gas bottles
thanks for the heads on on the home bulid trailer mate i did not know they were thinking of changing the rules ,a check with motor reg if or when i start will be on the list now
i don't do what you would call remote camping ,but i hit the qld gem fields and i have a private property about 3/4 hour drive to town in vic ,there is no structures on the property, but there is a dam for wash water, so no, not remote but you do have to be self sufficient
thanks a lot diginit
sand surfer
All good and ozzie certainly has a perfect example of a neat well thought out home build as his pics show 👍 Apart from huge dollars saved, building your own you can tailor it for exactly to suit your requirements. Buy wise as to use the canvas shower base just as an example, an old gunny (top bloke) in Tassie does them for around $60 other sellers want $200 ;) Where in Vic do you go ? My family is out of Moliagul originally and spread into Castlemaine - Bendigo area these days so makes accommodation in the area easy for me 👍
https://www.infrontcampinggear.com.au/shower-base-canvas-44-x-44-x-8h

sisters friends place near maryboroug
i am from yallook( dingee)north of bendigo
tried to pm you mate it will not work
Know the area well and lived Goornong for awhile. Have a funny story from a night camping at Carisbrook as kids that still makes me laugh to this day. Re Pm's I think Diginit is still carrying remnants of the "reign of terror" If you pm Ozzie with some contact details I'll get in touch 👍 Now that Covids settled well over due for a trip back 👍👍👍

Last edited:
i have family the bendigo area ,traralgon and painesville so i am a bit spoilt for spots too

heading down next year, i would like to give the wipstick a nudge and have a play at walhalla as well as a few other places

Latest posts