Hilux's finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Scorpio pendant is sterling silver. The rear is stamped "TG.S". It does not look like any letters are worn away before or after those three characters.
Sterling silver is usually stated in an abbreviated way or expressed as 925 (parts silver per thousand) or similar, somewhere on the item. "TG.S" doesn't seem to have any obvious meaning and the difference in appearance of the front of the pendant from the rear suggests a plated item to me. The cheap, plated chain link attached to the pendant is also an indication of costume jewellery.

Your detector should be able to test the find electronically, as sterling silver is extremely electrically conductive. If you have a known silver item, compare its reading on the detector's target meter with the reading for the pendant. The readings should be very close, but if the pendant reads lower, it probably isn't silver.

Sterling silver is usually stated in an abbreviated way or expressed as 925 (parts silver per thousand) or similar, somewhere on the item. "TG.S" doesn't seem to have any obvious meaning and the difference in appearance of the front of the pendant from the rear suggests a plated item to me. The cheap, plated chain link attached to the pendant is also an indication of costume jewellery.

Your detector should be able to test the find electronically, as sterling silver is extremely electrically conductive. If you have a known silver item, compare its reading on the detector's target meter with the reading for the pendant. The readings should be very close, but if the pendant reads lower, it probably isn't silver.
Thanks Grubstake - all of that makes sense.

I'll do the detector test and see what it tells me - I suspect it will confirm your advice. :)

I gave the comparison a go;

Three pence coins which are very close in diameter and thickness return a solid 22.

The pendant returns a solid 21 on the Vanquish 540.
I removed the butt closed link on the pendant and it didn't alter the returned TID.

So the pendant is 1 point lower. Not sure if that means its sterling or not! It's a cool find either way.

Scorpio (2).jpg

Scorpio (1).jpg

Sorry Hilux, I usually try to help with the ID's - but that one has me completely stumped!

Nice little pendant though. And that's a lot of lost keys!

Cheers,
Megsy

Nice little pendant though. And that's a lot of lost keys!
Cheers,
Megsy

Cheers Megsy.
The keys were just under the surface next to a bridge in one hole. My guess is they were stolen a few years ago and thrown from the walkway under the bridge.

I gave the comparison a go;

Three pence coins which are very close in diameter and thickness return a solid 22.

The pendant returns a solid 21 on the Vanquish 540.
I removed the butt closed link on the pendant and it didn't alter the returned TID.

So the pendant is 1 point lower. Not sure if that means its sterling or not! It's a cool find either way.
The closeness of the TID's is encouraging, but don't forget that Aussie coins were only sterling silver from 1910 to 1945, after which they were only 50% silver.

The closeness of the TID's is encouraging, but don't forget that Aussie coins were only sterling silver from 1910 to 1945, after which they were only 50% silver.
Aha! Excellent point how daft of me!

I'll have to look through and check some dates.

Thanks Grubstake.

As it's still raining outside....

3 Pence comparison - Vanquish 540.

1900 UK​
92.5% silver22
1912 Au​
92.5% silver, 7.5% copper22
1943 Au​
92.5% silver, 7.5% copper23
1948 Au​
50% silver, 40% cop, 10% zinc/nickel16
1955 Au​
50% silver, 40% cop, 10% zinc/nickel17
1962 Au​
50% silver, 40% cop, 10% zinc/nickel18

Grubstake - it looks like by luck alone I'd tested against my early sterling silver 3p coins.

Interesting that there's a repeatable 2 point difference between the 48 and 62 coins.

The 50% silver coins tend to have a lower ID if they come from the beach or very corrosive soil, I assume that some of the more reactive metals corrode out of them.

That's an interesting little charm Hilux. Does it open, by any chance?

open charm.PNG

Cheers,
Megsy

Last edited:
I just looked it up, and it's a harmony ball pendant. Made in Bali and 'supposedly' sterling silver. They often have something inside to make them jingle softly. The ones I saw were priced between $18 - $90.

Cheers,
Megsy

Last edited:
I just looked it up, and it's a harmony ball pendant. Made in Bali and 'supposedly' sterling silver. They often have something inside to make them jingle softly. The ones I saw were priced between $18 - $90.
You did well finding that. I had a quick look at Pandora and a few others and didn't spot it. Thanks.

I'll grab it out later and see if it opens.

Slim pickings again today.

A rams head shilling, a crusty button and an even crustier coin that I suspect is a 5c piece.

Its a rotten photo, I'll have to add another when they are cleaned up.

0721a.png

Cleaned up shilling.

0721b.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts