High-Banking Simply Stated

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Kelso plumbers shovel (powerstep?) that came from Bunnings, along with an Ezimate handle to save the back.

Don't see them listed on their website any more though.....

Plumbers shovel ........ bugger me that was the word i was after i could not remember what they were called. :8 :)

Bugga,
I misquoted that as that is what I have. :) :)

bundyjd said:
I use a Kelso plumbers shovel (powerstep?) that came from Bunnings, along with an Ezimate handle to save the back.

bundyjd said:

yep different folks different strokes that's what it is all about. thanks mate. J.

all great shovels, for me i like a pointed nose you just cant dig through commingled rocks with a round shovel in hard pack if you dont have a point to get those bigger rocks out. for me Kobalt is the go, mind you my current shovel is worn round and i cant bring myself to throw it in the pile of retired shovels under the back stairs.

Yes indeed you hit the nail right on the head. The shovel I use more or less started out that way but as you say, you do get blade wear as shown in the below photo. As you can see in the photo how the blade on one shovel is almost worn back to the goose neck this shovel I take as a spare. Cheers mate good post.

1449174255_100_0395_copy.jpg

Chinese pumps there is one other point I forgot to mention in regards to the Chinese pumps that are on the market. If you own one take great care of the pump casing if it gets a sharp knock or bump it may crack, split or be holed. When screwing your hoses onto the tails fitted to the pump, the tail may snap off {seen that happen more than once} cam locks are the best type of fitting to use on them. The reason I mention this is I have seen the results of what happens to the pump casing it is made paper thin with poor quality metal. They work good but you must take that little bit extra care with them.

I use fly wire screening on my pump inlet with come cable ties. It works well to keep the grass and other rubbish out of your spray bar and does not seem to restrict the flow and pressure much.
The other thing some prospectors do is to put their inlet strainer in to a submerged bucket not to suck in the gravels from the bottom of the creek.
Good post. :)

I sit my foot valve on a convenient rock. :D
There seams to be an endless supply of them. LOL
All good idea's there folk's. Just depends on the situation.
Oh, And making sure it is at least deep enough to stop it
from sucking air from a vortice.

Ok..ive got a question while where sort of on pumps. Sometimes ive seen at the inlet the water supply can tend to swirl and make a vortex down to the inlet. Even if its well under the water and deep. Is this eddy currents causing it say if were in a creek?

If the water IS low and you have this problem, whats the best solution? Im guessing a guard over the top side of the mesh?

AtomRat said:
Ok..ive got a question while where sort of on pumps. Sometimes ive seen at the inlet the water supply can tend to swirl and make a vortex down to the inlet. Even if its well under the water and deep. Is this eddy currents causing it say if were in a creek?

If the water IS low and you have this problem, whats the best solution? Im guessing a guard over the top side of the mesh?

Hi Atomrat,

I generally sit a fairly large rock on top of my pickup filter - that seems to prevent any air being sucked into the intake.

Cheers

Barry

Um,
Dig a deeper hole. :D
With my large pump, I have to make sure it is at least 400mm deep especially if I am running it at half throttle.

AtomRat said:

For me there seems to be 4 choices, one use the bucket on its side below the water line, two as already pointed out a rock, 3 I have never done this but I am told it works, use an empty plastic drink bottle with the lid on placed in the vortex. The vortex will hold it in place. 4 as Tathr said dig a deep hole. Great line of post guys thanks. J.

AtomRat said:

this is a good one, ive seen this many time it means your downward pressure is not high enough for the pump so you need to increase your pressure by going deeper as tathradj said or diffuse the direct line of breaking force between the downward pressure and the intake pressure whihc causes the vortex and well stuffs everything up. simply jamming your intake amungst a few rocks essentially splitting the intake force so as not to take the weakest straight line up is usually enough. even throwing a few sticks crossed on top of your pickup and a wet tshirt of top of that will prevent it from sucking air.

AtomRat said:
Your pump handled the creeks here very well, i dont remember a single issue :) fly screen worked very well!

My Walbanker has a spray bar that can be taken apart so you can clean it. It also have slots instead of holes. My old banker had holes and it could clog up if you suck in some weeds or rubbish. Slots are better in my opinion.
You should never glue your spray bar.

Latest posts