Hi tech metal detector with a difference.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to ask Goldierocks about this article if he sees this. I thought the Radiometric process was only capable of reading down to about 500 to 800mm or so, not 500 meters? Although, I thought they usually flew around 80 Meters off the ground to avoid trees etc, so maybe if it's just flat dusty land they can get much closer to the ground and a much deeper reading?

If i am standing under one of these when it is in operation , i am i in danger of radiation ? Seroius question . Foz

I doubt it, as usually all they do is measure the Gamma radiation emitted from the ground (eg, Thorium, Uranium, Potassium) and then interpret the readings. I'm assuming that it works in the same way as current methods? I think Goldierocks would be able to answer these questions better though, as he has probably had to interpret the results at some time or another.

just starting said:
If i am standing under one of these when it is in operation , i am i in danger of radiation ? Seroius question . Foz

You are probably in more danger of being run over by a bus in Pitt Street.
The real danger of standing underneath it (and why would you?) is not the radiation problem but if it falls on you, that could hurt :D :D :D
(Serious answer to a serious kwestshun)

This is an EM instrument it is not a radiometric instrument. I am also a geologist and have used them many times. They have been around since the 1980s

Thanks SWright, sorry I should have read the full article before assuming it was radiometric :8

Also good to know there is one more Geologist on here whose brains we can pick :)

Rockhunter62 said:
They've been using this technology on maritime surveillance/sub hunters for years.

Cheers

Doug

MAD .. Magnetic Anomaly Detection. That's what the "Stinger" out the back of the P3 Orion aircraft is and back when Australia had a Navy the Grumman S2E Tracker aircraft has a retractable MAD boom.

Latest posts