Hi I'm Wes. 55 near Shepparton

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks for adding me to your forum, Had the detecting bug in the mid late nineties ,Found some reef gold in the nineties using a gold seeker 5000, Then got a sd20000 found lots of relics but no more gold lol, ,, Bck for another go and cant decide on either the gpx4000 or gold monster , Any suggestions welcome,

Welcome to the Forum Wes.

Good to see you are back into the hobby again. Detectors can be a difficult choice and in most cases is what one can afford at the time. I'd certainly get a 45k in preference to the 4k and would only get the monster if you are looking for mostly very small nuggets. Finances will be your determining factor but the best advice one can give in this day and age is get the best you can comfortably afford. Remember though the better the detector the better your results..."Generally"

Last edited:
Hi Wes. One of the issues with GPXs is matching the settings and in particular the coil sizes to the places you search. They are still excellent machines if you can get that right but many people don’t.
Maybe consider a 2300 as it is hard to muck up with its largely preset settings. It’s an almost sure fire gold finder although the nuggets will be at the smaller end of scale.
If that would whet your appetite to upgrade say to a 45 or 5 or even a 6, the 2300 still brings good resale.

Hi Wes, I agree with the above comments. I bought a 2nd hand SDC2300 2.5 yrs ago and have found gold less than a 100th of a gram up to a gram, and enough to keep me going out. As you're probably aware it appears that very small gold is the most common type of gold found now, hence the popularity of this detector and now the GPX6000 (sensitivity & depth) and also the Gold Monster. They are also very simple to operate unlike the GPX4500 and 5000 with their many settings. I also have had a 4500 for 18 months and have only found 1 tiny bit of gold with it so it spends most of the time at home or in the car unfortunately. If you are on a budget I'd recommend a 2nd hand SDC2300 (ensure you check its authenticity prior to purchasing). Or if you can afford it get a new one. Sell a kidney if you would really like a GPX6000. In saying that I'd prob buy one if I could.
Good luck.

Latest posts