Hi Guys!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi MorrisPudney and welcome.
It’s a great activity and doesn’t have to be expensive.
If you would like to find gold there are many ways, means and places and the first one I would recommend would be to buy yourself a gold pan, travel to a creek in the closest goldfield and pan off your first probably tiny bit of gold. That is a skill you will need for a life long hobby anyway.
Perhaps if you have some idea of what you want to do or where to go or equipment to use, briefly let us know and I’m sure many would be willing to offer advice.

Hi MorrisPudney and welcome.
It’s a great activity and doesn’t have to be expensive.
If you would like to find gold there are many ways, means and places and the first one I would recommend would be to buy yourself a gold pan, travel to a creek in the closest goldfield and pan off your first probably tiny bit of gold. That is a skill you will need for a life long hobby anyway.
Perhaps if you have some idea of what you want to do or where to go or equipment to use, briefly let us know and I’m sure many would be willing to offer advice.
If panning for an hour and half at Sovereign Hill counts for anything. That’s the direction I’m keen to start with.Then with success to expand into a gold detector. I guess.

Remember taking the kids to the panning pond at Sovereign Hill many years ago. It was concrete lined and for a cunning chap like me I poked and prodded until I found the deepest part I could reach, and dragged up stuff from there. Kids thought I was a whiz but just a bit of prospecting sense that we learn.
The reality is that you can take a pan to just about any creek to learn to pan. Even in non gold bearing areas interesting stuff like small gemstones and antique shotgun pellets (lol) can be found in the “heavies” you reveal.

Will do, Thank you.
Can anyone recommend a prospecting kit to start with? I see pans etc kits from Anaconda, are they any good? $75.
Basically all you need is the pan so don’t see a lot of sense in buying a whole kit. A pan on it own would be about $25 and the only other things that I would consider essential is a sturdy garden trowel to dig out some gravel and a small empty medicine phial from home.
When you go to a creek you don’t want to be burdened down with too much stuff, just those basics.
Sure as you learn, you may discover other things that would be useful like crevicing tools, sniffers, sieves, etc might be handy but you don’t need them just yet.

Last edited:
Basically all you need is the pan so don’t see a lot of sense in buying a whole kit. A pan on it own would be about $25 and the only other things that I would consider essential is a sturdy garden trowel to dig out some gravel and a small empty medicine phial from home.
When you go to a creek you don’t want to be burdened down with too much stuff, just those basics.
Sure as you learn, other things like crevicing tools, sniffers, sieves, etc might be handy but you don’t need them just yet until you learn the basics.

Some great feedback there @Hawkear

Hey Morrispundey and welcome,

I have the minelab gold pro kit with the classifier, 15" and 10" pan with snuffer bottle etc, roughly paid $85 front Anaconda and imo it was worth it.

The classifier helps to remove large rocks so you can pan more efficiently. There is also a magnet(removes iron sand), a snuffer bottle that sucks up all your gold and a little 2x magnifying glass to admire your gold/gems. I personally think its worth it because I found the pans and classifier top quality compared to my $20 no name pans that have cracked.

I would suggest a trip to bunnings for a fordable shovel and a small pick.

Like hawkear said, don't over burden yourself...

Goodluck!

The other thing I like about the kit is it all stacks together in the carry bag so not bulky to walk around with.
Yea good point, one thing I would also like to highlight.
Becareful how you store your pans and tools in your bag, I had to replace a pan due to damage from the tools rubbing on the inside pan surface while in the mine lab bag. However the bag is great and I use it all the time

Hey Morrispundey and welcome,

I have the minelab gold pro kit with the classifier, 15" and 10" pan with snuffer bottle etc, roughly paid $85 front Anaconda and imo it was worth it.

The classifier helps to remove large rocks so you can pan more efficiently. There is also a magnet(removes iron sand), a snuffer bottle that sucks up all your gold and a little 2x magnifying glass to admire your gold/gems. I personally think its worth it because I found the pans and classifier top quality compared to my $20 no name pans that have cracked.

I would suggest a trip to bunnings for a fordable shovel and a small pick.

Like hawkear said, don't over burden yourself...

Goodluck!
Thank you Churner,

I'll give it a crack. :)

Latest posts