Hi from Melbourne

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi all,

I've been considering taking up the hobby of prospecting given my proximity to the golden triangle - I could be in the car and out that way within 2-3 hours, so why not take advantage and enjoy the great Australian bush? My only real concern are snakes! Gee, I am not too fussed on snakes. When I was a kid, we use to take out bikes out bush and one day I had a large, long black looking snake (no idea what type) slither across my path in front of me. I still remember standing deadly still in fear as he continued on his way without seeming bothered that I was there at all. If I do take up prospecting, I'll definitely be purchasing a pair of gaiters and sticking to prospecting during the cooler months.

Speaking of cooler months, they're on the way, so it would seem another reason to get involved.

I've really enjoyed reading this forum, and it's been helpful in assisting me coming up with a list of what I need (looking at the sdc 2300) and safety considerations. I'd likely be going out on my own, but would love to join someone up that way and perhaps learn a bit more hands on while kicking you a few bucks for petrol and other costs.

When I was a kid, we went to Hill End on a week long camp and I found a small amount of gold from panning. That memory has always stuck with me and as I've grown a bit older and have more means to do things than I did when I was a bit younger. I love the idea of prospecting for the day, even if it means coming home empty handed, you can't beat a day out in nature.

Thanks again for the informative posts around here, they really help, as do the youtube videos.

Welcome to PA Cazalla
I'm with you when it comes to snakes.
Ive been getting up in to the Golden Triangle detecting every couple of weeks for just on a year now. I've never seen one snake and I'm very observant where I tread. I never step in to ground cover that I can't see in to. I do wear gaiters for safety. My kids bought me a pair for Father's Day last year. I never not put them on.
I'm absolutely obsessed with the hobby. I research between trips and always can't wait until the next trip. The SDC is a great machine for finding small gold. Wear the head phones for best results.
Good luck and I may see you out there some day.
Cheers Dig'nit

Welcome to the forum cazlla. There's plenty of PAers who go to the GT regularly (or live there - lucky sods) and would welcome newbies join. Just post when you are going and ask if any would care to join up.
I've spent much time detecting the GT, and have never seen a snake out there. Had two browns at my place in Warrandyte this summer (now only one) and have seen plenty of browns around Tibooburra and a few tigers swimming in the Yarra, but none in the GT (even prospecting at Snake Hill). Best to be prepared though - particularly going it alone. Welcome again.

Hi cazella welcome to PA. Make sure you get metal free gaiters so they don't set off your detector when you buy it. Sdc is a great detector, and many ppl on this forum have had great success with them. Enjoy the the hobby. :)

Latest posts