Hi from Dandenong Victoria.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm Ralf from Dandenong near Melbourne Vic.
Got the gold bug rather late in life but am keen to find more.
If local creeks have it then I am wondering what else has been overlooked in the rush to get to the famous gold spots.

Hi Ralf, welcome to PA.

So you can get started without issues, please check out this thread for links to prospecting rules and regs applicable to Victoria:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ecting-regulations-all-australian-states.125/
In particular, if you're thinking about panning/sluicing/sniping (crevicing) in rivers and creeks, you'll need to become familiar with the unfortunately lengthy list of ones that are NOT available for prospecting, before you set to work out there.

Good luck mate, it's a great hobby.

Thanks for the advice.
I am one of those poor buggers who does not need it as a hobby, but sure could use the gold.

Welcome Ralf,

@grubstake is on the ball. It's really important that we, as prospectors, follow all of the rules and regulations. It can only take a few bad eggs to ruin our rights!

Please do make sure that you're not accidentally hunting for gold in any of the exempt rivers or creeks.

I used to live out your way, and found out about a lesser-known set of diggings in what would now be Upper Beaconsfield.

If you'd like to read about it, you can do so here.

There's definitely gold in some strange places!

Note: these diggings are located within the Beaconsfield Nature Conservation Reserve and reservoir. It's not accessible to the public. I also recall that much of the diggings are heritage listed. Please don't try to get access.

Just sharing the above to highlight that gold is closer than some think!

Hi Ralf. I grew up in Noble Park went to Dandenong High School played cricket for Noble park and Dandy hi.Good luck in the Dandy area-as they say gold is where you find it -like rings watched jewellry etc=good luck.

Latest posts