Hi Fellow prospectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Fellow prospectors my name is Dale I am 40 yrs old (how time flys) I am a prospector from the northern rivers in far north NSW I have been detecting and panning the tableland gullys for gold, I really enjoy the hobby I usually camp for a few days at a time exploring and field research / prospecting and learning about the history for the areas I go to.
This is my first post here thought I should introduce myself
HELLLOOO

Welcome to the Forum Dale. Hope the info you get from here helps with your research.
Thank you WalnLiz I really liked your post on research and geology I'm piecing it together slowly focusing on deep lead gold high in altitude usually under basalt cap and finding where the erosion areas that release the gravels for beneath the basalt caps.

Thank you WalnLiz I really liked your post on research and geology I'm piecing it together slowly focusing on deep lead gold high in altitude usually under basalt cap and finding where the erosion areas that release the gravels for beneath the basalt caps.

You're on the right track there Dale...Old river systems eroding from beneath basalt caps are generally quite easy to follow. Keep that thought of research going and success will hopefully follow. Just make sure the old river system flowed through Gold bearing areas in the first place. Good luck with it mate and remember...research is the path to success. ;)

Cheers mate!! have been putting a lot of time into research before setting out, I did a quick scouting trip during the week and located some healthy signs on the track in for about 100 metres around the basalt cap I found very water worn quartz ranging from fist sized to pea sized looks to be erosion from beneath the cap in the soil profile I have marked a bit of a course around the cap with GPS marks ( the pink marks in the picture) and the red marks are adits the old timers worked for Au major.
Thank you for your advice. Going to put 3 or 4 days in this week once this rain clears hoping for my first bit.Screenshot_20220903-162900_Australian geology travel maps.jpgScreenshot_20220903-162907_Australian geology travel maps.jpg

Good looking countryside there Dale and only the keen are usually willing to work that kind of terrain. Very similar looking country to what I work near Tuena and remember that the good stuff goes to those who are prepared to put in some extra leg work with their research. A lot of headwater creeks there worth looking at and I'm sure a lot of shallow bedrock as well. Remember to be thorough in your search and not race from one creek to another.

From what I see there a lot of trips will be necessary to explore its potential properly. Best of luck and stay safe when in that sort of country....Wal.

Thanks Wal,
Definatly have profound respect for the old timers and how hard they worked and how they worked the gold sources out. this area lays in state forrest and I have permission from the neighbouring property to camp I have been friends with the owners and will spend a few days there hoping to get to have a better look around it's very rough county but it forces you to go very slow. !!! lots of growth from 2019 fires. I'll my time and work slowly I have set aside at least a few trips in this area. I am still enjoying the challenges and always practise safey in the bush.
Appreciate the advice from some one experienced as yourself

G'day Dale welcome. That's one area I really wanted to explore a bit more this year, those deep leads. Access looks to be the biggest problem, with the tracks and the terrain and private property and the no-go mining leases. Haven't looked at that exact spot, more to the west a little and to the south near PG. Sounds like you've been putting in some hard work. Hopefully it pays off for you.

Thanks gragagan.acess is not to bad via dirt road but the scrub is almost untreverseable so thick with under growth from 2019 fires.I just got back from out there spent the day looking around the area found a old shaft the area defiantly had not seen any detectors no holes around very hard to detect this area heavy scrub. So many signals made it hard to detect