Hi Everyone!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Finally posting on the forum! Living in the Mogo area and have been prospecting/fossicking for around a year now. Originally from Cornwall though so have a long association with exploring old mines.

After reading every article I can find on Trove, studying maps, books etc, walking (don't own a 4x4) more km than I can count, and detecting and panning around the wider Mogo fields I can now happily state that I'm an expert in finding where gold isn't. 😂

Despite that and after many, many hours I have managed to find a few tiny specs of literal gold dust. Mainly using microscope, x40 loupe, needle, and eye dropper for the clean up. Yup, the only gold I've panned so far is that small. Still there's now enough in my vial to be visible to the naked eye if you squint really hard and get the angle just right.

Just wanted to say 'hi' and 'thank you' for all the information on here. Hoping that one day I'll have amassed enough knowledge to help folk out too.

See you around the mullock heaps. :)

Col

I think we all started there Col. Don't give up. I can honestly say to the wife "I'm going out to find a bit of gold" fully expecting to return with something to show for my efforts but that's after quite a few years of learning where it usually hides.

Go to reedy Creek West of kangaroo crossing at elderado Vic you will always get gold there, but it's the size of pepper but fun getting it

Hi Col.
Its is tempting to think that the gold is always yellower in other further away places.
Lower your eyes and see what you have there. If there are recognised goldfields nearby concentrate on them, the gold is there And probably under your feet.
Even in the GT I see many new people walk past gold in the belief it is further away from the towns.
What you have to do is learn where the gold is hiding ie what layers, what type of geology, and what places trap and concentrate gold, and then the way to winkle it out. That is the same process that many here have had to learn in their own neck of the woods.
It can shorten that process by years if you have a mentor and the best way is to meet up with someone with local experience perhaps through a prospecting or leisure club locally. Don’t expect them to show you their secret spots, those you will learn for yourself. Good Luck.

Welcome to the Forum Col....your positive attitude will serve you well and the gold will eventually start filling up your jar.;)...you're in an area where gold is abundant. Cheers Wal.

Latest posts