Hi all

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning. Me and my youngest son have just got into it, well my boy has gotten fanatical lately about gold panning. We live at widgee on a creek and he is mad keen to find gold as everyone is no doubt. Any tips pointers on how and where to pan would be appreciated to help out my young fella. Cheers guys.

Good morning. Me and my youngest son have just got into it, well my boy has gotten fanatical lately about gold panning. We live at widgee on a creek and he is mad keen to find gold as everyone is no doubt. Any tips pointers on how and where to pan would be appreciated to help out my young fella. Cheers guys.
Welcome Aaron.
Remember myself as a young lad buying a gold pan and going down to Gardiners Creek that ran alongside the East Malvern golf course in Melbourne. Never did find anything of value but it was always intriguing to see what was left in the pan. I learned the skill of panning and where to scrape up the gravel for the best “heavies”. You had to learn to pan it all the way down to a small residue so that every thing could be clearly identified even if it took a magnifying glass.
Got my first gold in the Yarra river shortly after and when I became more mobile with my own transport a gold pan accompanied me everywhere.
My advice would be to do the same with your son. Always have a pan, maybe a bucket and garden trowel in the back of the car wherever you go and be prepared to take a bit of time if you see a creek bed with a bit of water in it to stop and do a few pans. You may be surprised. I’ve found that people will travel miles going past good gold.

Latest posts