Helping newbies

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystyk59

Bill
Reaction score
Looking forward to this w/end as we have a couple of newbies coming to Tennant to go for a swing with us. Our group on facebook is still growing with 30 members now and i got an email from our newest member who lives 700km north in Katherine saying that him and his mate from Canberra have bought a 5000 each and have absolutely no experience apart from a short period 30 years ago with one of the first detectors ! Haven't fired them up yet ! His mate is driving up to Katherine and then they are driving down to spend a few days here and asked if myself and Dale can take them out and show them how to use their machines. After pondering the question for a long period of time (100th / second) i eventually agreed ! Both myself and Dale are at the stage now where we always come back with a bit of colour and know our machines really well so feel comfortable with taking others out and making sure they get a little bit of gold as well. I will of course twist their arms up their backs while they are here and refuse to take em out til they join this forum !. John the bloke from Canberra obviously doesnt know anyone there so i was wondering if Wal n Liz could send me info on any groups , clubs etc he can get in touch with for advice and a bit of mentoring etc. There is no better feeling than helping out someone new to this addiction and knowing you are going to help them find their first bit of gold ! :cool:

Mystyk, they could join the Canberra Lapidary Club . I think they still have a dedicated detecting group within the club. They can also get in touch with me personally if they want to fast track their experience on detecting...same as you mate ...will only cost them the need to join the forum lol....Cheers Wal.

Is there anyone in our Forum who detects in the West-North-West Victoria region?
I'm thinking Ballarat, Castlemaine,etc.
Still studying the area and equipping myself with as much knowledge as I can.
A lot to know for sure, but I'm game and up for it.

I'm planning my trip to the Melbourne area for late December and all of January so I'm hoping there might be a few out there
who might take me out into the field. I'll be bringing a GPX 5000-huge expense but I'm positive it will pay for itself while I'm there.
At least, that's the plan.
Hope springs eternal.
I think I know where the gold is...now I just have to go and get it.

Michael from Canada - goldustman
Yes, I am an "older" newbie
Chill in the air down there I hear - ours is a ways off but not far enough away for me.
I'm guessing the caliche gets hard in winter there.
Happy Days

Good on you MistyK and Wal, us newbies need all the help we can get. I love the NT, we did a big trip
up there when I was young with my parents, saw Uluru before the tourist resort was there, Olga's
a lot of the gorges around Alice Springs, would love to do it all again.

Hope it goes well.

Goldustman, Good luck with your trip to Victoria, I used to help people new to the hobby but I have been away from detecting for a while. There is plenty of friendly people in Vic that are happy to help others. I hope you find one or two. You post indicated a summer trip down here. Do not for a moment think it will only be cold down here, we get temperatures up around 40deg c that time of year, however we can get the odd cold snap.

Latest posts