Heavy old peice of iron?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, any idea's what this may have been off??
It's pretty heavy! Maybe made of iron?
Found it in eastern nsw. Australia.
I would think it's heavy to have been off an old fence.
Any Idea's?
Co.

Attachments

• 20220520_213057.jpg
    20220520_213057.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
Yeah ide say off a gate or corner post, less likely would be off a grave marker.
Is the dent in the pointy end a hole right through? If so that could change it into some sort of rigging splitter for a bullock team or similar, but it looks more like a decorative peice.

Thank you for your Response. I will have to check it out. I did actually find it a few hundred metres from a grave yard.

It's larger and possibly to heavy to be off a grave fence.
Thank you for your time

The corner pieces or main post pieces can be significantly larger & heavier.
Here's an example in a different design. Note how small the general toppers are in comparison to the corner post:
20220603_114911.jpg

it looks like a gate ,corner post finial/ornament
with the edges being square conan ,that all comes down to the design of the finial/ ornament
some of the edges are left sharp, flat, rounded or bevelled ,it all depends on how the blacksmith wished to leave the edges or were instructed by the customer on how they wanted it made ,it could of come from the cost side of things as well ,as to bevel or round the edges would be more time spent on the job = more dollars
hope that helps mate

Last edited:
it looks like a gate ,corner post finial/ornament
with the edges being square conan ,that all comes down to the design of the finial/ ornament
some of the edges are left sharp, flat, rounded or bevelled ,it all depends on how the blacksmith wished to leave the edges or were instructed by the customer on how they wanted it made ,it could of come from the cost side of things as well ,as to bevel or round the edges would be more time spent on the job = more dollars
hope that helps mate
Thank you

Latest posts