Heathcote area Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done mate best i have done with a pan all day would be about .2 lol still learning tho think i need new country.. :Y:

heading to Heathcote for the weekend for a bit of panning/sluicing. Got a few spots in mind after a fair bit of research but any tips from anyone with any local knowledge would be welcome... flick me a PM pls!

Hi guys - didnt find much at Heathcote yesterday - wont even bother with a pic, had to go back to my usual spot today to get my fix. Off on a week long trip to Castlemaine and surrounds from next Sunday. Exploring is half the fun, some gold would be nice as well. Cheers

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to gold detecting, today is about my 4th day out having a go. I headed out to the Northern part of the One Eye area in Heathcote where I think the old diggings have been pretty heavily worked over in recent times(?) - does anyone still have a go there? I checked out some mullock heaps and had a bit of a wander around - still learning about how to read the ground and what to look for. Only dug a few old .22 shell casings, shotgun shells and alike but was a nice day out in the forest. I took a few photos and was wondering if someone can point out to me what the long bank mounds are like this one in the pic below at the yellow arrows? Was also going to ask how old these shafts are in the second pic? What was the process to dig those?
1559209955_img_20190530_1341293.jpg

1559210020_img_20190530_1330593.jpg

1559210209_img_20190530_1928002.jpg

1559210232_img_20190530_1323463.jpg

Hi angus welcome to pa. The long mound you have shown looks like a water race, and the shafts were usualy dug down to bedrock then belled out at the bottom when they removed the wash gravels
Jim

Gen1989 said:
Hi Jamie, Just wondering wondering if you've had any luck in the heathcote area.

hi, parts of McIvor Creek are okay and I'm told Wild Duck Creek can deliver as well. I find most of my gold elsewhere but it is a nice part of the world.

Latest posts