Hawthorn Creek information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
I am new to this site and new to looking for alluvial gold. I was planning to go to Hawthorn creek and pan ,
does anyone know if there is gold or gemstones in hawthorn creek Gippsland . I am sorry about all the questions.

Jinx - here are some old reports. May help.

1860-63: Good Hope rush gave impetus to prospectors - a government prospecting party from
Shady Creek, across Latrobe River, and into Hawthorn Creek, later found gold at Icy
Creek and Pheasant Creek (west of Fumina) - another party discovered Camp Creek
West (now Hill End; Camp Creek was then called Bowley or Middle Creek) -
Russell's Creek opened up in late 1860 by John Russell - other creeks worked
included Stony, Wombat, Hardup, Ross's, Kenny's, and Charity creeks.4
1860s: Main auriferous creeks were: Hawthorn, Boggy, Wild Bull, Camp, Stony, Snake,
Specimen, Doyle's, Pheasant, Kenny's, and Icy. Bed of Tanjil River extensively and
profitably worked in many places - also a number of small gullies falling into the
river between Icy and Russell's creeks. The shallow alluvial gold in the Tanjil district
was plentiful, easily obtained, 'and, in consequence, quickly worked out'.5

welcome Jinx, dont hold back wtih the questions, am sure if someone knows, they will answer.

Make sure you check out the equipment and the do it yourself sections, some great posts in there for new chums.

ave a read of the sticky posts in General also, many answers and hints there also.

Cheers, tone

does anybody know if the hawthorn creek is flowing again and has anybody ever found gold in it

Yes and yes mate, Depi doing a bit of burning off up there though so maybe check the website before you go.

Yes not to far from it.
Lots of great creeks around the area worth looking at

Yes been there and found gold ,but has been well worked,so I guess you will find some will some hard work.

The Digger

golddredge said:
Icy creek

Been sucked clean at easy access points - might need to do a bit of creek walking to get to more productive areas of it.

i was there a few weeks back and found dnre and a ranger taking photos of a spot where some unscrupulous knuckleheads dug out an area of the creek bank removing nearly 5 cubic metres of soil. they are now taking number details of people prospecting in the creeks around gippsland and checking for miners rights and inspecting vehicles for illegal mining equipment.
some people are just plain greedy... :mad:

that shouldve been vehichle registration number details and ive been informed by a local police officer that they are looking for three 4x4 vehichles that have frequented the site recently on numerous occasions and were seen unloading mining equipment.

Who has had any color in creeks up this way? have 4x4 willing to travel, and would love to meet some people to teach me panning!
living in drouin

Latest posts