Has anyone built their own slab saw

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivarat

Brad Grant
Reaction score
After a trip around the wrecking yard, looking for what I probably don't need but will come in handy on day things.
I spotted this
1462087018_photo0275.jpg

Table saw shaft 320mm overall length, 75mm blade flanges, 5/8" arbor
After a few applications of WD40 and some heat to the nut the old 10" wood blade was removed. It may have came off sooner but I discovered that it was left hand thread and the old blade was on the wrong way. I'd hate to have the blade come loose on a table saw, trust me I almost lost my left index finger to a table saw.
Thinking building a 10" saw with the capacity to swap out the blade to 14", should give approx 90mm cutting depth depending on the placement of the carriage or about 140mm for a 14" blade.
Does anyone have recommendations on the style of clamp. Have seen clamps from the sides, top, or chain style.
Anyone used linear bearings on round rod for the carriage transfer. I was thinking these but the grit and dust may be too hard on them.
Round rod mounded to blocks attached to T track so alignment can be adjusted.
It will be a counter weight feed, weight on a string so that's easy.
Cross feed I was thinking a milled dovetail or a pair of milled parallel channels and corresponding on the bed with a locking screw or bolt.
What capacity sump. Probably looking at running water as the coolant feed to the blade with a pond pump.
What RPM should I look at for a 10" blade? I have a variety of pulleys available and a 3/4 horse motor just sitting around.

I had an idea in my head, but now with a left hand thread I'll have to mirror the image.
Would love to buy a saw but the money goes into fuel so I can look for rocks, plus my allowance the my wife has set will only go so far. So it will be a project that is not rushed into.

I have only recently started getting into the lapidary side of things and still have a lot to learn, but have recently refurbished a 10" trim/slab saw.
From what i learnt, when you are looking at 10-14" blades you need to look more at oil as a coolant as water seems to only be effective for cooling 8" and under. The sump on my 10" is 100mm x 200mm x 120mm, though the 12" slab saw is much larger. I believe for a 10" to 14" you will want around a 1400 RPM motor depending on pullys, may need a little more for the 14".....
The clamp on my 10" is two metal plates with two small blocks of wood on each to hold the stone, then the plates have two bolts facing the saw blade and one at the back side with wing nuts on top to tighten them. The clamp sits on two steel rods running the length of the saw and a threaded bar in the middle which moves the rock through the saw by either pulley or handle winding. It is adjustable also by sliding towards and away from the blade, by the bottom plate fitting inside a sleeve and secured by two screws.

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do. Good luck with it.

The local gem club here uses the chain clamp which can sometimes be ok, but at times it just can't but sometimes slip, mabey from the heat or vibrations. I'm pretty sure the carriage runs off bearing and rod type system, ill get some photos for you. Dovetail may grit up if its exposed to the falling debris. Do you already have an arbor or going to make one too? Sounds interesting, ill be watching this :)

Latest posts