Ham Radio

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Crew,
We have moved some stuff around!
This thread is for Ham Radio Communications discussion (whereby generally, you need a licence to operate)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/ham-radio.39946/The 27 meg CB thread, is for discussion on publically available CB Communication HF or UHF.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/27mhz-cb-radio-discussion.39938/The Communications Thread is about all forms of communication pertinent to us, sat phones, Vast, PLB's, etc etc..
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/communications.16939/
We hope this is clearer?!
Thanks to @mbasko for all the hard work back here!

Last edited:
Whoa!! Just fired up Echolink, and man is everything so quiet..........everywhere!??!!
I contacted our Club up here to see if our 2 mtr rptr is still active, which it is (can't key it with my hand held though?!)
But it isn't connected with echolink or IRLP?
Anyone got any tips ?

never had anything to do with it but:
EchoLink is a computer-based Amateur Radio system distributed free of charge that allows radio amateurs to communicate with other amateur radio operators using Voice over IP (VoIP) technology on the Internet for at least part of the path between them. It was designed by Jonathan Taylor, a radio amateur with call sign K1RFD.

The system allows reliable worldwide connections to be made between radio amateurs, greatly enhancing Amateur Radio's communications capabilities. In essence it is the same as other VoIP applications (such as Skype), but with the unique addition of the ability to link to an amateur radio station's transceiver. Thus any low-power handheld amateur radio transceiver which can contact a local EchoLink node (a node is an active EchoLink station with a transceiver attached) can then use the Internet connection of that station to send its transmission via VoIP to any other active EchoLink node, worldwide. No special hardware or software is required to relay a transmission via an EchoLink node.

Before using the system, it is necessary for a prospective user's callsign to be validated. The EchoLink system requires that each new user provide positive proof of license and identity before his or her callsign is added to the list of validated users. There is no cost for this service, and it ensures that this system is used only by licensed amateur radio operators.

The software is written to run on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows. Another edition of the software runs on Apple mobile devices (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad), and is available from the Apple App Store. An Android version is available on Google Play and several other Android app repositories.

Mod Edit
Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EchoLink

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate, I know what it is and what it does!
I was just wondering why it was so quiet??
Is that how 2 mtrs is right now?

never had anything to do with it but:
EchoLink is a computer-based Amateur Radio system distributed free of charge that allows radio amateurs to communicate with other amateur radio operators using Voice over IP (VoIP) technology on the Internet for at least part of the path between them. It was designed by Jonathan Taylor, a radio amateur with call sign K1RFD.

The system allows reliable worldwide connections to be made between radio amateurs, greatly enhancing Amateur Radio's communications capabilities. In essence it is the same as other VoIP applications (such as Skype), but with the unique addition of the ability to link to an amateur radio station's transceiver. Thus any low-power handheld amateur radio transceiver which can contact a local EchoLink node (a node is an active EchoLink station with a transceiver attached) can then use the Internet connection of that station to send its transmission via VoIP to any other active EchoLink node, worldwide. No special hardware or software is required to relay a transmission via an EchoLink node.

Before using the system, it is necessary for a prospective user's callsign to be validated. The EchoLink system requires that each new user provide positive proof of license and identity before his or her callsign is added to the list of validated users. There is no cost for this service, and it ensures that this system is used only by licensed amateur radio operators.

The software is written to run on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows. Another edition of the software runs on Apple mobile devices (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad), and is available from the Apple App Store. An Android version is available on Google Play and several other Android app repositories.
Great work Jaros. As a HAM myself, albeit not active but still licensed, I had no idea what Simmo was talking about, so i am pleased that you cleared that up for me. Cheers Mackka VK1KJM

Great work Jaros. As a HAM myself, albeit not active but still licensed, I had no idea what Simmo was talking about, so i am pleased that you cleared that up for me. Cheers Mackka VK1KJM
You should take a look at IRLP and Echolink!
Very basic modes that have been around for ages!
With IRLP you can access pretty much any repeater in the world, from your local repeater via your hand held!.
With Echolink, you can do the same, but from your PC. (No radio required).
I was simply blown away with how quiet the repeaters were.
A dying hobby it seems with the advent of bookface and smartphones!!?

Whoa!! Just fired up Echolink, and man is everything so quiet..........everywhere!??!!
I contacted our Club up here to see if our 2 mtr rptr is still active, which it is (can't key it with my hand held though?!)
But it isn't connected with echolink or IRLP?
Anyone got any tips ?
Hi Simmo, I just found this for IRLP Cairns
6163VK4JKLCairns-FNQQLDAustralia146.5509:05IDLE
I will have a look for Echolink status next. Cheers 4DA

must be a few ol' Hams around here.. I'm formally one and so was my late Dad. I was big on HF, mainly 15m where I ran a home brew phased array that kicked butt. Still have my late Dads 520S and things tucked away along with some handy stuff like a VNA, scope ect - for a rainy day

I had a 520S and matched it with a home built cubical quad on a 5 mtr mast with rotator. Worked the world with it. Made it from timber dowel and copper wire stripped from old Telecom cables. Cheers

Hi Simmo, I just found this for IRLP Cairns
6163VK4JKLCairns-FNQQLDAustralia146.5509:05IDLE
I will have a look for Echolink status next. Cheers 4DA
Cheers mate, yeah that's John up the road. He rang me the other day to congrats me on my two letter call!!

Umming and Arrring, gets ya no where so just bit the bullet and bought a G90 and power supply.
Gonna try and use it here at home for QRP (low power) digi modes etc, and as a mobile unit when we take the camper trailer out.

maxresdefault.jpg

must be a few ol' Hams around here.. I'm formally one and so was my late Dad. I was big on HF, mainly 15m where I ran a home brew phased array that kicked butt. Still have my late Dads 520S and things tucked away along with some handy stuff like a VNA, scope ect - for a rainy day
Sticking up my paw.... 73... Jen KB6JEN, VE7OTH, formerly VK2WD

eh Simmo.. Elecraft do a great little QRP rig. Love their stuff, I had their K3.. top quality gear but can be pricey with the exchange rate. Their support is second to none too. Not sure if they still do, but when I bought the K3 there was an option of buying it in kit form - they may still have this option with their radio's

edit: just checked, they still do kits.. https://elecraft.com/collections/full-kits-1

Last edited:
eh Simmo.. Elecraft do a great little QRP rig. Love their stuff, I had their K3.. top quality gear but can be pricey with the exchange rate. Their support is second to none too. Not sure if they still do, but when I bought the K3 there was an option of buying it in kit form - they may still have this option with their radio's

edit: just checked, they still do kits.. https://elecraft.com/collections/full-kits-1
Me too VK5KIB also ex G6HMH when I went to the UK for work in 1981/1982 not very active but still have my gear especially Codan in the cruiser with ham bands programmed in.

Regards, Ian.

For an update to my re-birth to Ham radio!!
I have been playing around for a couple of weeks, (whilst I wait for new stuff to arrive!!)
with DMR or Digital Mobile Radio..

As @Jennifer eluded to before, the 'new' HF for Hams!!
Some, rightly, might say, hey, with out an antenna, it ain't radio!!!
Hmm politically correct!! But who does that these days??!!

So, DroidStar is a software that you can use on your phone or device and connect to your DMR Digital ID and then onto the world, through the internet.
So using an app called 'hoseline', I can listen to 'talk groups', all over the world.
Then using 'Droidstar', just call out to the station and say g'day!
All from my comfy office chair here at home!
No big antenna's, no expensive radio's, no waiting for atmospheric conditions or sun spots!!

I just had my first DMR contact to the Ilse of Man, from here in Cairns, via my Samsung S8 Tablet and head phone/mike set..
Quite remarkable!!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 0
So, DroidStar is a software that you can use on your phone or device and connect to your DMR Digital ID and then onto the world, through the internet.
So using an app called 'hoseline', I can listen to 'talk groups', all over the world.
Then using 'Droidstar', just call out to the station and say g'day!
All from my comfy office chair here at home!
No big antenna's, no expensive radio's, no waiting for atmospheric conditions or sun spots!!
You proved my point..... ;) So remind me again, based on what you just said what the difference is between this and ICQ, Skype, Facebook Messenger etc... I'm being dead serious... You literally just described, Internet VOIP, not Ham radio...... by the way, when you're stuck out in the red center, not a cell site for 200k, and you get 3 flats...... who's going to be the one to stop and get you help, the Ham with an HF radio or a member of the https://vks737.radio/mobile-radios/# system that’s who, not someone with their iPad and Hoseline app.... (yes I know, you'll have an EPIRB and don't need anyones help) but you get my point....

You still call what you said above "Amateur Radio"? I call it "Internet Chat/Internet Telephony/VOIP".... the things you implied were negatives, big antennas, radios, the challenges and the excitement about band conditions are what make Ham radio, Ham radio and make it fun..... When was the last time you got excited because you busted a pileup on your internet chat app hoseline? Have you ever seen the smile on a Ham's face when 6 meters opens, up, they call it the "Magic Band" for a reason.

;)

Last edited:
Haha!!
I knew there would be a Newton's third law thing going to happen with my post!!
Controversial, yes, but fact...yes!!

Like it or leave it in my book!!

I dunno.... when they went from an analogue clock face watch.. to a digital watch face..... and then it actually had a calculator on board.... the world almost melted....

Latest posts