Gridding a showground

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
Im in the process of going over my local showground and im wondering what technequics{or however you spell it}you use to grid it so im not going over the same or leaving gaps.....ps dont want to leave permament marks

Just take a loaf of bread with ya, leave some breadcrumbs as you go.🤣
I gridded a beach once, easy as cause i could see my footprints, just straight lines up and down, a step to the left or right next time , repeat.
You could also take a handheld GPS with you ?

Just take a loaf of bread with ya, leave some breadcrumbs as you go.🤣
I gridded a beach once, easy as cause i could see my footprints, just straight lines up and down, a step to the left or right next time , repeat.
You could also take a handheld GPS with you ?
judging by the birds that follow me anyway...them little birds love it when i dig

Lets say the showground is 500metres x 500meters.
If you gridded the showground and your gridlines were 1mtr apart you would walk 250ks.
Have fun mate.😁
thanks for the inspiration..im about halfway n havent done the carpark yet...250ks......faaaark..persistence beats resistance

Best after rainy days when you know the grounds can recover from any digging, only cut c's for recoveries sake and snail out any finds for best results, we all know the Fibonacci sequence in relation to finds tally always brings in the goods, and any high number finds correlates with a mid number search to come up golden.... if'n ya know what I mean !

I cheap and easy way of gridding is to take a collection of coloured milk bottle caps in your pocket. Drop one at the edge of your swing every so often and when you turn around you should have a clear line to follow. Simply pick them up on the way back and place on the other edge of your swing, and so on, and so on.

The area to grid if large like the one below a couple of months twice over a two 2 years period. Very little junk but hundreds of nuggets the only way to do the showground would be random with a high degree of discrimination

Some time you can be lucky hunting ground away from known patches. I have provided a couple of google screen shots of my West Australia patch number 2. The first one is of a circle of 1.250 Km with a 200 metre circle and a square of 1 acre in-side of it, to show the size of the spread of nuggets. The yellow small markers are nuggets that my wife and I found. The cluster of nuggets was found in the large circle with a casual chaining of the area.The nuggets out-side of the main circle were found exploring the extent of the spot and has not been chained yet. During this find we found no detector holes and only couple of pieces of junk for sum of over a kilo of gold. During this time (a couple of months) we only saw one 4wd and he was lost. The reason of this post is because of Gold Catchers "Hunting in undiscovered area" although hard to find it worth a go at hunting off known patches. I also would like to see some of you members showing screen shots of the spread of their spots. I am not giving GPS locations and neither should you as one day I will expand my chaining.

1991435913_Spot2size.thumb.JPG.2510c1c2ef12e50a508464ce5ef7bcb8.JPG

The second shot is a of the 200 metre circle.

181880911_!00mtcirclepatch2.thumb.JPG.41a2312f1f2b7b1cb73e3de84c2079c7.JPG

Latest posts