GPZ Batteries 1 V 2

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave's Office

Have Detector Will Travel
Reaction score
I'm picking up my 2nd hand Z in WA soon and I'm wondering if I should get a second battery for it. My old mate that I'm getting it off says I don't need one but I change batteries after 4 hours with the 5000 and I'm sure it makes the signal stronger having a fully charged battery. Could you experienced Z users please give me your thoughts. Cheers 🍻 from Dave

Two always handy as you don't have to be concerned about charging every night, just swap it out ounce low batt warning comes up then bang the spent unit on charger that night.. Other plus is nothing worse than travel hours to destination then find battery has packed it in . Bugger

I'm picking up my 2nd hand Z in WA soon and I'm wondering if I should get a second battery for it. My old mate that I'm getting it off says I don't need one but I change batteries after 4 hours with the 5000 and I'm sure it makes the signal stronger having a fully charged battery. Could you experienced Z users please give me your thoughts. Cheers 🍻 from Dave
I've been running the Zd's since they came out 2015. When my first one was 5 years old I could go out from sun up to sundown, switch off during breaks and only once at the end of the day did the battery go flat. Nice to have a spare just in case but you'll probably never need it, as long as you fully charge prior to use. There is a slight possibility of a battery failure (never happened to me) and that's where a spare would be invaluable.
This year is the 1st year I'm carrying one & only because it came with this year's machine (I'm selling @ end of season & buying again following year now) first swing of shiny no scratches never been used Z next week in Clermont. Should have it looking second hand within a week or two & the spare battery will still be in its box.

Had a 7000 and never a problem using just a single battery.
Now I have a 2300 and bought a second set of (NiMH) rechargeable batteries just in case. I can't be sure but I think I killed one set through lack of use having the spare set run down and leaving them too long in a discharged state.
Not sure if the same might happen with Lithium batteries like the 7000 but I think I'd ensure at least to rotate them regularly.

Had a 7000 and never a problem using just a single battery.
Now I have a 2300 and bought a second set of (NiMH) rechargeable batteries just in case. I can't be sure but I think I killed one set through lack of use having the spare set run down and leaving them too long in a discharged state.
Not sure if the same might happen with Lithium batteries like the 7000 but I think I'd ensure at least to rotate them regularly.
NiMH pretty old technology these days they don't have anywhere near the charge cycles of Lithium. NiMH don't appreciate being left flat for long periods of time - they die!
At least they don't retain a memory like those awful NiCad that they took over from.
The Minelab Lithium (like most these days) are smart batteries so would shutdown with about 20% power left (even though the guage says flat) because if they run completely flat they just won't charge from a normal charger. I wouldn't store a "flat" minelab battery for any length of time as they will drop below 20% retention & that could be a bad thing. Warranty on the lithium batteries I think (don't hold me to it) is 6 months not 3 years like the rest of the machine.

I put my 5000 batteries on the machine and turn the backlight on every 6 weeks and then wack them on the charger. That keeps them in good working order.

I must add that it's a payne in the arse having to do it but I don't get the opportunity to get out detecting very often so it's par for the course for me.

Dave's Office. Do you mean that you fully discharge them before recharging? I'd be terrified.
Once had a De Walt 18v lithium power tool battery that when it got fully discharged wouldn't charge at all.
I had to "prime" it with a short jump from another battery to give the built in electronics a tiny bit of charge to function enough for the charger and battery to "talk".

Latest posts