GPX6000 - Tips, Tricks, Settings, Accessories & Other Notable Findings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the gold signals in latest spot have been very faint variation in threshold not a clear noticeable signal, the type of targets you question yourself "is it a target or am I imagining it". Some have been one directional which makes it even more annoying to find and only after taking 7" of dirt off and they become very noticeable. Some of the gold has not weigh on the scales. I need to get some jewellers scales that have more digits to see there exact weight.

Most of the gold signals in latest spot have been very faint variation in threshold not a clear noticeable signal, the type of targets you question yourself "is it a target or am I imagining it". Some have been one directional which makes it even more annoying to find and only after taking 7" of dirt off and they become very noticeable. Some of the gold has not weigh on the scales. I need to get some jewellers scales that have more digits to see there exact weight.
You probably did it but just wondering with the disappearing signals did you try upping the "sensitivity" on any as you say you just run on the first block?
Reason I ask is a comment JP made about the "sensitivity" early on was something along the lines of there is a lot more going on with that adjustment than just sensitivity.
I can usually run at about midday-1 o'clock in manual sensitivity where the grounds been too much for auto. Never dropped back to the first block so maybe that's the difference?

Yes I turned up the sensitivity (I can hear the audio threshold increase ever so slightly louder as sensitivity is set higher) but any sensitivity setting more than the first block makes the faint variations completely disappear. Maybe its just my hearing. I do wish they had an extra low setting than the first block. I'm not the only person to go to this place someone else has been there prior to me and I'm guessing they got most of the easier noticeable targets - I haven't found a loud surface target yet. I have pulled out deeper pellets 12 inches and about 10.22g of tiny gold. I've also used my SDC there and found additional pieces in hard to poke in areas the 11" won't fit. I tried sensitivity 5 on SDC which proved useless and had to drop down to sensitivity 1 occasionally getting away with sensitivity 2 in some spots. It may also be the varying ground as its a mixed bag: Quartz and ironstones mixed with varying types of green, blue, orange, red, pink slates with a mixer with and red, orange and yellow clays on-top red, orange and dark purple conglomerate. The yellow clay smells like pepper for some reason.

When I first purchased the GPX6000 late last year it had this fault on startup. It usually happens twice and on the odd occasion three times but sometimes it starts normally. During the first trip out (after a couple of weeks) the 11" coil failed but was quickly replaced by Minelab. When I reported the startup error they said that it was most likely related to the faulty coil. That was not the case because the even after fitting the replacement coil the startup fault is still there.

View attachment GPX6000 fault.mp4

I'm going to send it back when I get a quiet spell where I can do without the detector.

Just one more thing, I'm now on my forth skid plate. They don't wear through but become loose and fall off. I could tape or glue it on but I've always had a spare so I've just slipped a new one on and it's good for a few more weeks.

6000 optional wireless headphones.
I have now used both the Nokta Legend wireless headphones and the Quest Bluetooth headphones on the 6000 and both work great. Both are very comfortable, and sound wise very comparable. If you have largish ears, the Quest's are probably the better option. Both of these are Low Latency, and are fitted with leatherette pads, and perform a little better in wind than the standard headphones. The Legend headphones are not available as a separate purchase yet. Quest headphones are here: http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-pro-low-latency-bluetooth/

They are exactly the same mechanically as the Quest WireFree Pro's, they just have a different receiver inside. They also work great with the Equinox.

When I first purchased the GPX6000 late last year it had this fault on startup. It usually happens twice and on the odd occasion three times but sometimes it starts normally. During the first trip out (after a couple of weeks) the 11" coil failed but was quickly replaced by Minelab. When I reported the startup error they said that it was most likely related to the faulty coil. That was not the case because the even after fitting the replacement coil the startup fault is still there.

I'm going to send it back when I get a quiet spell where I can do without the detector.

Just one more thing, I'm now on my forth skid plate. They don't wear through but become loose and fall off. I could tape or glue it on but I've always had a spare so I've just slipped a new one on and it's good for a few more weeks.
Yes, I'd definitely be getting that checked out.

Not really a tip as such.
I decided to use the double d coil yesterday on the 6000 just to make sure it's working.
I found that for me it was too heavy. Started tiring my arm and shoulder out within an hour.
I checked the specs and believe it is only 200 gram heavier than the 11 inch.
Pinpointing was really hard.
So I don't reckon I'll use it much more.

Not really a tip as such.
I decided to use the double d coil yesterday on the 6000 just to make sure it's working.
I found that for me it was too heavy. Started tiring my arm and shoulder out within an hour.
I checked the specs and believe it is only 200 gram heavier than the 11 inch.
Pinpointing was really hard.
So I don't reckon I'll use it much more.
I found the 17" coil got a bit "heavy" after a while too. Coupled with lifting & moving around grass a lot wouldn't have helped, wasn't the best spot to try it but there's grass everywhere now.
I usually wear a belt to hold water bottles, rubbish pouch, pick, first aid kit etc. anyway so I modified an old harness I had so I could clip it onto the belt or remove it as needed & got a bungy cord from DD leather.
I think for $8k Minelab should have still included a harness + bungy for the bigger coils, if for no other reason to help with balance a bit & for better coil control.

I found the 17" coil got a bit "heavy" after a while too. Coupled with lifting & moving around grass a lot wouldn't have helped, wasn't the best spot to try it but there's grass everywhere now.
I usually wear a belt to hold water bottles, rubbish pouch, pick, first aid kit etc. anyway so I modified an old harness I had so I could clip it onto the belt or remove it as needed & got a bungy cord from DD leather.
I think for $8k Minelab should have still included a harness + bungy for the bigger coils, if for no other reason to help with balance a bit & for better coil control.
Yep.
The reason I went for the 6000 was because of the lightweight and no need for a harness.
For me a 12 inch dd would have been enough.
Would of come in handy today with wet ground, red clay and cloudy weather.
I had a hard time keeping the mono quiet.
GStill found lot's of leadshot though.😜

I’m only new to the 6 but could someone explain the Auto + n Auto please

Atm, from what I hear,I would gladly swap my 6k for an axiom.
I'm not suggesting that the axiom Is better than the 6k, but has different strengths that might be more suitable to me. One being it's ability to handle emi.
In the last few days, detecting has been over for 6k users up here by midday.
Our season is short due to access because of our wet season and emi produced by storms. If the 6k can only do half days now, a good 2 to 3 months before the storms really become daily, then it's not a lot of use to me. Let's see what the new garret brings to the table. I like the idea of better handling of emi and a couple that with a dd coil, and it might have some advantages in the tropics.

Shame is not working for ya dave,they've been brilliant down here where we are.
A mate that does a bit of this an that for minelab dropped in the other day,im sure he said there might be an update coming for the 6,he's outa service atm but i'll see him next cuppla weeks.
They had the new 7 and 6 coils to use while here to the buggers 🤔
Hope the garrett handles our ground that's the big question i think...

View attachment 1810

I'd be guessing that's probably a loose or not fully seated ribbon cable.

How does everyone do their Noise Cancel?
More specifically, where do you hold your coil - on the ground, waist height, above your head.
Also what about coil angle: flat/horizontal, at 90 degrees or a slight angle?

If I know I'm going to be working undulating terrain, then I hold the coil at waist height, with the coil at roughly 45 degrees. Press Noise Cancel then place coil on the ground to check for any improvement in stability. If it didn't improve, do it again. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 goes to get it right, lucky it's super quick.

Keen to hear what works for others.

How does everyone do their Noise Cancel?
More specifically, where do you hold your coil - on the ground, waist height, above your head.
Also what about coil angle: flat/horizontal, at 90 degrees or a slight angle?

If I know I'm going to be working undulating terrain, then I hold the coil at waist height, with the coil at roughly 45 degrees. Press Noise Cancel then place coil on the ground to check for any improvement in stability. If it didn't improve, do it again. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 goes to get it right, lucky it's super quick.

Keen to hear what works for others.
Usually on the ground nenad,if working a spot with the boss i'll point it at her,sometimes it takes a few goes also but im not doing it near as much as when i first got the 6,some days hardly at all.
Just caught up with some blokes yesty returned from up north,a minelab tech was up there to,they all got the new secret part installed 😂.
They said it was a big improvement if using the speaker,it's not an issue for us using the BT so i might send ours in over summer,top stuff minelab 👍

Shame is not working for ya dave,they've been brilliant down here where we are.
A mate that does a bit of this an that for minelab dropped in the other day,im sure he said there might be an update coming for the 6,he's outa service atm but i'll see him next cuppla weeks.
They had the new 7 and 6 coils to use while here to the buggers 🤔
Hope the garrett handles our ground that's the big question i think...

How would they install an update on the GPX6000?

Latest posts