GPX6000 - Tips, Tricks, Settings, Accessories & Other Notable Findings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PhaseTech said:
Ground balance is key, and make sure you do it as the last step before detecting, especially if you've switched ground modes.
I have got in the habit of doing it as per the manual, pull quick-trak, pump coil and then swing coil side to side, then release quick-trak.

Also, avoid narrow repeated sweeps when interrogating a potential target, as the response may diminish. Keep a wide sweep so the detector can see enough surrounding ground. If you find a signal has faded away, sweep the coil around the target, i.e. sweep the coil in a circle around where you heard a target response, then re-check. If it's ground noise it should still be silent, but it's a metal target you should be able to hear it again. If in doubt, scrape a couple inches of surface material off and re-check.

Nenad, perhaps you can explain the difference between tracking and ground balance. I see it as the same thing. Phil

Ground balance is a function, but there are different ways of achieving it with different detectors, e.g. manually or with a grab/auto/reset button (same thing, different label). Tracking is a slow continual automatic ground balance. Tracking is meant to keep your detector in perfect ground balance as you search.

On the 6000, your initial ground balance should be done with the Quick Trak button. This is basically a faster rate of automatic ground balance, but there is likely more to it than that going on in the box.

Hi Folks,

Just thought Id add a bit that will have a lot of people giggling to themselves and thinking this blokes got no idea but here goes. I wear a harness, use a guide arm and a bungee cord with the gpx6000. WTF? Yep, you heard. Before you start shaking your head in disbelief, consider my points of view. I know that this toy was designed to eliminate a lot of the extra crap that we wear but what about the long term consequences of our behaviour? I try to get out about 3 times a week and tend to feel the effects of this. Ie. I come home tired after a big day out and often feel a bit stiff and sore after playing with a detector for that period of time. The lighter weight of the 6 did not change this situation. In fact, after a couple of days of swinging the machine without extra support, the shoulder started to feel a bit stiff. Not a problem really but it did start me thinking. Holding a detector all day tends to put some strain on your shoulder as you are always raising, lowering and swinging the machine using a repetitive action. Long term consequences will result in repetitive strain injuries and potential shoulder problems. This is often a consequence of swimming and other activities where rotation and continual movement of the shoulder causes wear and tear. A balanced bungee helps to keep the weight under control and a guide stick transfers a lot of the movement from the shoulders to a hip rotation as both arms are controlling the unit. I find that there are a couple of advantages to using both aids. 1) The body feels better at the end of the day and 2) each detecting session is increased as you dont get as tired and concentration levels last longer. The disadvantages are obvious. 1) you are tethered and suited up like rococop and 2) a lot of people find a harness uncomfortable and a pain to wear. I can understand and accept that but it doesnt worry me at all as Im used to it and it has become a repetitive habit. If you only get out occasionally, it may not even be a consideration but for those who spend a lot of time on the ground, you may know what Im talking about. If you dont wear a harness, you may take a back pack to hold food, first aid kit, water, gps, phone, pick, scoop etc, etc, etc. (unless you detect next to your car.) Heres a little exercise for you to try. Attach the DD coil to the 6 and then hold the detector 2 off the ground for 5 minutes. I wont say any more. This is just another perspective. I wont say its the way to go, it just works for me and my situation.

Cheers

Les

I tend to agree Les, I have right shoulder cuff issues and have always had to use my 4500 with bungy and control arm and usually get around 3 hours detecting time before fatigue sets in.
With the new 6000 and 11" mono I can happily detect with just the detector in the right hand and pick in the left, scoop in the back pocket and finds bottle in the front pocket and love the freedom of being able to do this for 4-5 hours without a break.
When I gave the 14 dd coil a run, within 10 mins I was heading back to camp to get the harness, bungy and fit a swing arm, it was very well balanced once set up but definitely need to "gear up" again, and the 17x13 mono will be the same, not that they are heavy but it's the wear and tear on my body that requires it.

I'm not so fussed if the new 17x13 mono is some time away before being available as I'm just really enjoying the 11" mono and freedom it's given, and a target is never far way on so called flogged grounds.

Stress, on the body and anywhere else, is cumulative unfortunately there's no avoiding it.

Younger prospectors might disagree, come back in twenty years and revisit. :/

Most prospectors are getting on so lighter machines are good but you will definitely lengthen your detecting window by taking preemptive measures today to lessen the cumulative stress.

Great post and worth keeping in mind :Y:

Good point & everyone needs to have their set up to suit + comfortable for them.

I've modified my Shingleback harness to allow the shoulder straps to be removed or added quickly for the above reason. Also have a SDC bungy with the wrap around attachment ready.
I wear the harness belt part all the time anyway as it has a pick holder, water bottle pouch & rubbish pouch on it. Also carry basic first aid gear etc.
I find with the GPX11 coil it's perfectly weighted for me & I've never thought I might need a bungy as yet. I can swing it all day for a couple of days in a row without issue but know both the GPX14 & GPX17 may not allow that.
Best to have the set up ready if needed rather than pull up early &/or sore because I don't have the gear on hand.

I was actually expecting a few people to chew my ear over those comments. Its good to see that theres agreement from a few of you. The reality is not so much about what we do now but what lies in the future in relation to our ability to wave a stick over the ground. Id like to think that in twenty years Ill still be swinging a GPX 12000 and coming home with a tally of .00001 grams for the day.

:lol: :lol:
When I joined in 2015 I would have chuckled and thought whats this guy talking about, but hitting the edge of 40 and being a hard working trade, just waking up after the best nights sleep with every joint aching is the reality of not listening to people who said, look after what you got as it wont last for ever wish I had listened as I feel it gets harder from here on in lol, so all this information on making it easier to swing a detector is welcomed on my part and much appreciated

Les, I wear the harness as well. I detected the first few hours with the 11" coil then swapped to the 14" for a bit. At that point I put on the harness and have worn it since swapping back to the 11". It's a light machine but is it really any lighter than the GPX4500 with the 11" Mono?

The difference is you need to carry the battery on the 4500 but that's on your harness. I think the main difference is the wireless features that really make the difference so if I needed a harness on the 4500 I still need one on the 6000. Phil

I was actually surprised that the 6 didnt come with a harness when you consider the amount of gear that we carry. Perhaps Minelab were trying to keep costs down so that they could make a small profit on each machine.

Lesgold said:
I was actually surprised that the 6 didnt come with a harness when you consider the amount of gear that we carry. Perhaps Minelab were trying to keep costs down so that they could make a small profit on each machine.

They were so worried about package weight that they didn't even include a printed manual!!!! :8

:p

After a 14 hour day and a 10 hour day i found for me the 11 mono was exactly light enough to not use a bungie and am built like a rake (am pretty tuff tho. Lol) The 14" however felt nose heavy to me and also the size felt impracticle for the area i was in, so instead of harnessing up i persisted with he 11" on manual 1 difficult with the threshold being a bit naughty. I found i couldnt run above 4 manual (often onlt manual 1) or either auto mode with or without threshold with the mono around the ballarat area. Its wanting me hoping for a smaller dd coil to handle higher mineralisation and terrain better. Either an 11" or a 10x5 dd would be helpfull.
I still found a wire the size of a hair at about an inch even with the monos chirpy threshold, but cant help but feel it would be easier to pick the faintest of signals if the machine stopped burping randomly which hopefully the dd coil would fix.

Seriously mulling over the six to add to the arsenal :D Had hands on a few and the lightness being great, the shaft looks / feels almost to light. Anyone had any issues with shafts in rugged country or in fact is swapping out the shafts a possible do ? :beer:

Bonacini said:
:lol: :lol:
but hitting the edge of 40 and being a hard working trade, just waking up after the best nights sleep with every joint aching is the reality of not listening to people who said, look after what you got as it wont last for ever wish I had listened as I feel it gets harder from here on in lol, so all this information on making it easier to swing a detector is welcomed on my part and much appreciated

Just wait till you get to 70+ ..... used to be 4800 for half a day then SDC when getting weary ..... 6000 can be used all day long.

Held one with the 19" (?) coil and found that to be very heavy, would need a bunny if I got one and really only suitable in more "open"ground.

A smaller elliptical (between a sadie and 14x9) would be great for tussocky areas.

Can also confirm that you WILL miss gold in running in manual without threshold being turn on, haven't tested that when in "auto" modes as I haven't used them that often.

Haven't tried the 14" DD as yet, I'm used to the chatter from the SDC so a bit of noise doesn't worry me.

IMO the GPX6000 doesn't like to be scrubbed on the ground the design off it leans towards to the detectorist who is slow and methodical will get the best results. I have trouble with the ytube clips that compare the GPX6000 against other detectors when they switch off and grab the next and go back and forth. The GPX6000's that I have seen and used take time to settle down. The results that are achieved at the start when turned on and that of a machine after being on and running for 45 minutes are very different. Often the manual settings can be increased to a much high level after running and the ground sampling has time to improve. Also any other detectors or electronic devices play havoc with it. Even it's own speaker will cause some interference at times. If you want a machine that is built for the hard knocks then the GPZ7000 is the way to go.

I am growing to love my 6000 I am not getting any younger and struggled with the GPZ with weight and after a heart issue decided to go away from the GPZ. Now I can enjoy detecting again. And may I say it find loads of shot gun pellets in places I have gone over with the Z. So for me the weight and sensitivity is amazing. It is like my SDC on steroids.

Just my opinion and I fell much better at the end of the day. Pity it is 8k.

cheers

HH

deepblue said:
IMO the GPX6000 doesn't like to be scrubbed on the ground the design off it leans towards to the detectorist who is slow and methodical will get the best results.

Mmmmm ... so with the SDC it was possible to wear out a skid plate in a few months as I was always a serious scrubber in an effort to keep as little distance between the coil and where that elusive gold was hiding.

Are you suggesting that results with the 6000 are better (for whatever reason) if we "hover" rather than "scrub" ?

Haven't got too many sessions under my belt with the 6000 as yet (but 100% strike rate so far) .... all modes tried but leaning towards mid manual range so watching these posts with interest.

Cheers T.

deepblue said:
IMO the GPX6000 doesn't like to be scrubbed on the ground the design off it leans towards to the detectorist who is slow and methodical will get the best results.

I am what you would call a light painter of the ground, so my scratching is very gentle. It is very true that speed is important, too fast & you will miss targets. But you can still cover ground at a good pace once you have used the machine for a while & no what pace is suitable.

The GPX6000's that I have seen and used take time to settle down.

For me, it depends on the ground. I normally in most cases run at the highest manual setting. In one location recently, I ran it at 12 noon. That was the setting that found the .41g piece I posted recently. I adjust settings based on a need to basis, otherwise I leave it at high manual.

Latest posts