Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone,

I purchased a GPX6000 a couple of weeks ago and have been having lots of fun. However, since yesterday I have been having lots of trouble with noise as you can see in the following video:

I am out in the middle of the bush in Linton, Victoria, and there are no power lines nearby.

I have tried the following but to no avail:

Noice cancel
Ground balance
Using auto and manual sensitivity at different levels
Factory reset
Moving to other areas (hundreds of metres apart)

When this happened yesterday, I placed the DD coil on and it behaved the exact same way as the above video. I put this down to the wet ground or clouds and called it a day. However, since it happened again today, I am having doubts. When I changed to a DD coil today, it didn't go as crazy as yesterday but is still making way too much noise as you can see in the video:

It's not the greatest video to show what I have been experiencing, but it should give a rough idea of what I'm dealing with.

Later on after about 30 minutes of use, it started going crazy with noise again like in the first video and I had to keep pressing the noise cancellation to keep it in check. I tried setting it Conductive Ground Cancel with the DD, but it didn't help.

The weather has been bad here. In fact, there was a light hail in the late afternoon. Can the weather make these machines go crazy like in the first video? I am just trying to figure out if there is something wrong with the machine. I'm just very confused because it has been wet/cloudy for many of the days since I bought the detector, but it is only in the last 2 that I'm having these issues. By the way, I found gold in the exact same area in the first video, so many of my days have been spent there with no issues whatsoever till yesterday and today. It's no longer enjoyable because of this, so hopefully I can figure it out.

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated. I'm new to this game, so please talk to me like I'm 5 if you're kind enough to offer help.

Regards, David.

Just a thought, your foot gets pretty close as you swing, have those boots got metal eyelets around the laces ?

Hello Kev. Yes, it goes off when it gets close to my feet. I've been wearing the same boots since day one though and was wearing thongs in the last video as my boots got wet. I'm very confident the noise in the videos is unrelated.

That's exactly the noise I got from mine when I first turned it on brand new out of the box. It was a dead/faulty coil. Lucky the 14 wasn't dead and was able to use until receiving a replacement. Some other people I know have had both coils dead/faulty in the box. I even brought a faulty 17 mono got out bush and nope didn't work then had to send it off to Minelab and wait. At least I got a working replacement back. Id say your coil/s are faulty.

A year ago a friend had this same problem right out of the box. We tried coils and batteries from my detector on his and it still did the same crazy thing. Minelab send him a new one and he hasn’t had any problems since.

Have a good day,
Chet

Hello Mortimer. I have 3 coils and it does the same with all three. I guess it's possible, but I'm strongly leaning towards a faulty machine as it goes crazy with all 3 coils after 15-20 of use.

A year ago a friend had this same problem right out of the box. We tried coils and batteries from my detector on his and it still did the same crazy thing. Minelab send him a new one and he hasn’t had any problems since.

Have a good day,
Chet
Hello Chet. Yeah, I was hoping that I would just be able to get a replacement when I went in, especially considering I only bought it 2 and a half weeks ago. If I had it for a year or two, then I would totally understand that it gets sent off and I play the waiting game. Hopefully I'll get a call on Monday.

If they know what is causing the problem and repaired the problem may not reoccur. If it's swapped you may get the problem back again at some stage.
I hope by now they know what is causing the 6000 problems, there are probably plenty out there that we don't hear about.

I would like to know before pulling the trigger on one. Just saying. Cheers.

If they know what is causing the problem and repaired the problem may not reoccur. If it's swapped you may get the problem back again at some stage.
I hope by now they know what is causing the 6000 problems, there are probably plenty out there that we don't hear about.

Hello Peter, I'll let you know what they say once I get it/one back and the process is done.

Thanks Dickie, but I already handed it in to my dealer today. It's being sent to Adelaide for testing. My dealer passed on this thread to the Minelab guy who test them, so hopefully I'll get a replacement. It doesn't play up until it's been used for a while, but I think the videos I made are pretty convincing that it's sick.
Yep... from the sounds in the video I'm sure it caught COVID somewhere down the track. 😢

Hello Peter. I got the machine back yesterday, used it today and all is well again. On the service report, Minelab just wrote the defect was ‘intermittent noisy connection’ and they replaced the control box.

I hope I haven’t turned you off too much by it. I’m a newbie and found gold with it the first day I bought it, and I couldn’t wait to get back into it again. If you do decide on getting one though, I would highly recommend that you buy from a reputable store. I say this because my experience with the place I purchased it from was far from pleasant. Whilst nothing was said directly, I received a bunch of ‘clever’ comments suggesting that I got the machine too wet. After the 4th of 5th comment, I politely explained that whilst I had used it on wet ground, I haven’t been out using it in the rain every day. When I said this, the store owner just kept staring at the computer and ignored me. Not fun and lesson learnt -- In the future I will only make purchases from a store that solely sells mining equipment. Of course this is no guarantee of avoiding passive aggressive rubbish, but I think there’s a higher chance of better service if things go awry with the machine.

As others have stated on here, Minelab were very good and sent the machine back via express with zero delay.

Hi davo85, I bet your pleased to get it back, that was pretty quick turn around even with your place of purchase not being real pleasant about it.
No I haven't been turned off the machine, I have seen how they can work when running well, and know of others having faults mainly with 11" mono. Minelab have looked after them well.
Looking at the Axiom as well but will probably go with the devil I know and that's Minelab.

Not buying until start of season next year, so plenty of time for faulty coils and control box's to settle down.
Thank you for letting us all know the outcome.
Cheers
Peter

Probably due to any faults with cars could result in serious injury/injuries or fatality/fatalities.
Detector faults are annoying but fairly benign - not potentially lethal.
No real need to issue a national recall which really would only clog up Minelab's Service Centre IMO. Doubt they could replace each in service GPX6000 with fully checked units in any sort of acceptable timeframe to users anyway either? People would then be up in arms about that!
I tend to think (assume) Minelab have decided to just service/repair these issues as they occur, keeping in mind not every unit has had issues but it does seem to be appearing more than with other newly released models? There never seems to be any issue with their warranty service/repair/replacement other than the annoying wait.
Hopefully Minelab are applying the blowtorch to Plexus Corp to pick their game up with the manufacturing quality control.
Thanks to the tips on the site I sent my GPX6000 away for the audio fix and told them about my coil being noisy is I lightly bumped grass/rock or if you touch the cable coming out of the coil to the control box. They asked me to the return items to be checked. Coil replaced. I've yet to get out on the hunt again. Baz

Didn’t think I’d get any time in this morning. Popped the battery in went to turn it on and nothing. Pulled it out made sure contacts were clean, back in turned on all good then shut down. This happened a few times then all good she’s working fine. May have to go back to mine lab for a look see if it happens again.

Didn’t think I’d get any time in this morning. Popped the battery in went to turn it on and nothing. Pulled it out made sure contacts were clean, back in turned on all good then shut down. This happened a few times then all good she’s working fine. May have to go back to mine lab for a look see if it happens again.
Take it back and ask for a replacement Bjay.
From what I can tell you haven't had yours too long unless I'm mistaken.
Can't believe they are still having these problems so long after they released it.

Yeah mate haven’t had it long but it’s second hand. They gave me a new battery as the one it came with wasn’t lasting as long as it should, this one seems better. I just check it every few days to see how it goes. Once had a fault with my 5000 making weird noises and nothing on the screen,never happened again. Anyway it’s still under warranty so all good.👍

Yeah mate haven’t had it long but it’s second hand. They gave me a new battery as the one it came with wasn’t lasting as long as it should, this one seems better. I just check it every few days to see how it goes. Once had a fault with my 5000 making weird noises and nothing on the screen,never happened again. Anyway it’s still under warranty so all good.👍
Even the battery not lasting does not sound right.
Hope you get it sorted

I sent mine back because it was crashing in startup so they replaced the control panel. Now it only crashes occasionally like twice during the last couple of days out. When it restarts it's lost all ground balance and memory. They say it could be dirty battery connections but I'm sure it's not. I'm just putting up with it until I have another reason to return it like when the second coil failed last time.

Loose ribbon cable. Take it to Nathan in Bendigo, 5 minute job

Latest posts