GPX6000 Faults/Issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad news Dave, and just more of the same from this 6K release ! :rolleyes:
If there had been this many issues with a car release, a national recall would have been issued, but not Minelab ! :mad:
Probably due to any faults with cars could result in serious injury/injuries or fatality/fatalities.
Detector faults are annoying but fairly benign - not potentially lethal.
No real need to issue a national recall which really would only clog up Minelab's Service Centre IMO. Doubt they could replace each in service GPX6000 with fully checked units in any sort of acceptable timeframe to users anyway either? People would then be up in arms about that!
I tend to think (assume) Minelab have decided to just service/repair these issues as they occur, keeping in mind not every unit has had issues but it does seem to be appearing more than with other newly released models? There never seems to be any issue with their warranty service/repair/replacement other than the annoying wait.
Hopefully Minelab are applying the blowtorch to Plexus Corp to pick their game up with the manufacturing quality control.

Simon's 6K is faulty straight out of the box, and his mate JW's 11 inch coil has just crapped itself.
There is an appallingly high failure rate with these machines, so much so that it is a lucky dip if you get a good one, then you have to hope that the coil doesn't crap itself later. I heard of another 2 coils just recently here in Vic that have also crapped themselves. Minelab, you can do better than this !
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...0-is-faulty-straight-out-of-the-box/#comments

Also like cars why you don't grab the first release 🙄😉 Give them time to iron out the bugs. Importantly for myself is I've never had to fight to get a resolve form Minelab regardless of the issue.👍

Also like cars why you don't grab the first release 🙄😉 Give them time to iron out the bugs. Importantly for myself is I've never had to fight to get a resolve form Minelab regardless of the issue.👍
Considering its been out for at least year, I would have expected the " bugs " to be ironed out by now, but it seems as if the failure rate is as bad as it's ever been !

Last edited:
I'm wondering if Minelab have switched to using lead-free solder, without taking into account that it has serious limitations? I've heard that Fender guitar amps have been dying young since they switched. Heat + vibration are killers, apparently.

Paging Anger Management, you're needed at the Help Desk. 😁

Probably due to any faults with cars could result in serious injury/injuries or fatality/fatalities.
Detector faults are annoying but fairly benign - not potentially lethal.
No real need to issue a national recall which really would only clog up Minelab's Service Centre IMO. Doubt they could replace each in service GPX6000 with fully checked units in any sort of acceptable timeframe to users anyway either? People would then be up in arms about that!
I tend to think (assume) Minelab have decided to just service/repair these issues as they occur, keeping in mind not every unit has had issues but it does seem to be appearing more than with other newly released models? There never seems to be any issue with their warranty service/repair/replacement other than the annoying wait.
Hopefully Minelab are applying the blowtorch to Plexus Corp to pick their game up with the manufacturing quality control.
Was getting one to try in WA but not now. I can't afford to drive 4k just to find detector not working and not up for replacement. It seems Minelab are trying hard to trash their previously trusted name for a few dollars

Considering its been out for at least year, I would have expected the " bugs " to be ironed out by now, but it seems as if the failure rate is as bad as it's ever been !
Yup, that's why I was gun shy about buying one, I'm one of those who posted on Steve's site and promptly dumped my dead out of the box 6k..... (link below, different thread than one shown in this thread).

I saw this coming a long time ago when Minelab started whoring out detectors to any retailer who would flog them to the public (like Kellyco here in America)..... Minelab's drinking from the wine glass of the "retail serpent" may increase their hobby market sales in the short term but they’ve shown in many ways over the last few years how little respect they have for those who helped them build the company, the Doug Stone’s, JP’s, Doc’s etc…..

What comes with that sip of wine is what we’re now witnessing, cost cutting, manufacturing of garbage which starts to move up the product line into the lines the professionals use (like it has in the 6k) and now people who have had SD, GP, GPX lines their entire life with no repair needed get to feel the effect of Minelab’s new business model. A self fulfilling prophecy of the internal gutting of a company for the new priority, shareholder value instead of quality product and loyal following…. welcome to life under Codan. PS: Hey Minelab, some of us bought into the BS about the 7k being a living platform and updates via USB etc... why don't you give us the Kool-Aid we drank and stop flogging cheap Chinese quality junk like this 6k has turned out to be to so many of us. Never forget where you came from, and it wasn't by treating your Doug Stones of the world to this junk.

Jen
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...their-gpx-6000/?do=findComment&comment=176037

Last edited:
Good report Jen, and one of the main reasons I won't touch a 6K with a barge pole !
Way too many faults from this overpriced release.
It's the only Minelab PI that I have not bought in 22 years of prospecting.
Interestingly, Codan's share price has more than halved in the last calendar year !

Rick

Last edited:
My
Good report Jen, and one of the main reasons I won't touch a 6K with a barge pole !
Way too many faults from this overpriced release.
It's the only Minelab PI that I have not bought in 22 years of prospecting.
Interestingly, Codan's share price has more than halved in the last calendar year !

Rick
My 6000 is just coming up to its 12 months. It did the WA season last year and halfway through this season. Thought I might offer my 2 cents worth. It has found some good gold but nothing outstandingly deep or heavy. But I am still learning and am not an expert detectorist.
I like that I don’t have to stuff around with little whispering sounds. It has a target or not. I choose to dig all now, as can’t always tell if metal, lead or gold. (Sadly in my earlier usage I was advised to learn which was metal and which was gold and then walk on. Must have walked away from a lot of good gold )
Anyway, I must have got a good coil. I do get some wierd noises, esp late pm but have learnt to either ground balance or switch on and off and I can usually get rid of it. But I have cracked out one of the brackets on the DD coil. Mine lab have been great and asked for it to be returned for assessment and a new one is on its way. Meantime did a fix it with glue and braced it and it is still working.
My biggest gripe is the shaft keeps slipping down and gets shorter as I work.
Pushing under spinifex is par for the course right? It can’t hold for longer than about 20 mins and I am hunching over with it :). I can’t seem to tighten it enough.
Does anyone have a way to manage this?
Otherwise I like the 6000 better than 2300 or 7000. Never used the 4500 or 5000 which I have heard are great machines.
Hope this is of some value to those considering it or using it for short periods.
Thank you for previous comments

Latest posts