GPX6000 Faults/Issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a proud owner of the GPX6000! One of Minelab's best machines. I recently ran into a problem though, my machine became very noisy and squirrely to where I was unable to detect. I sent it into the repair center in Illinois, USA to be repaired. First it cost me $136.00 US dollars for shipping. I am still under warranty. I was informed that my serial # was earmarked by Minelab of possible internal issues! WOW. They had to replace the complete guts of my machine! A very quick response to my issue and I should receive my machine in a couple of days. I have since learned that several of my fellow detectorists have experienced the same issues! Does Minelab have a quality control unit to address this problem? And shouldn't they be responsible for my shipping costs if it was their issue to start with? Has anyone had similar issues with their machine? Thanks Tim
~
Tim, I am in Canada and I have the 6000. The same as you going by my serial #, I also need the 6000’s audio upgrade recall ‘but’ >>I do ‘NOT’ want to send my machine to the USA over the border by post mail to get it fixed under warranty repair.<< If I lived within driving distance and could deliver it personally “or” if I lived in the USA then I ‘would’ do it. The repairman Nolan (over the phone told me that he has done this audio fix to two hundred 6000’s so far) who is near Chicago, Illinois explained that if I wear headphones then I will ‘not’ lose performance and I will ‘not’ notice the audio problem ‘because’ the audio problem applies ‘only’ to the external speaker and ‘not’ to the headphones. So I can just live with it and avoid the external speaker audio problem by wearing headphones and there will be no loss in performance by ‘not’ getting the audio upgrade fix done. So I have decided ‘not’ to send in my machine to fix it and use headphones to avoid the problem. Hope this helps you some how.

P.S. Also, I want to get some Avantree Torus (aptx Low Latency) neck-shoulder speakers to use on my 6000.

~
Tim, I am in Canada and I have the 6000. The same as you going by my serial #, I also need the 6000’s audio upgrade recall ‘but’ >>I do ‘NOT’ want to send my machine to the USA over the border by post mail to get it fixed under warranty repair.<< If I lived within driving distance and could deliver it personally “or” if I lived in the USA then I ‘would’ do it. The repairman Nolan (over the phone told me that he has done this audio fix to two hundred 6000’s so far) who is near Chicago, Illinois explained that if I wear headphones then I will ‘not’ lose performance and I will ‘not’ notice the audio problem ‘because’ the audio problem applies ‘only’ to the external speaker and ‘not’ to the headphones. So I can just live with it and avoid the external speaker audio problem by wearing headphones and there will be no loss in performance by ‘not’ getting the audio upgrade fix done. So I have decided ‘not’ to send in my machine to fix it and use headphones to avoid the problem. Hope this helps you some how.

P.S. Also, I want to get some Avantree Torus (aptx Low Latency) neck-shoulder speakers to use on my 6000.

Deano, My doctor recommended the Avantree Tours speakers and I found them very good however you still have to contend with the noise generated by the hollow coil if you work the coil right on the ground. Another member here introduced me to the Avantree Me noise cancelling earphones and that's all I wear most of the time now.

We'll see how the season pans out but I intend to spend some time swinging the GPX4500 again to try and uncover something bigger than the 10g max I've found with the 6000 over the last three years. At least my ears can have some respite between nuggets.

Thanks so much Deano for that reveal on the GPX6000 detector,as I'm on the verge of buying the 6000 and join this friendly goldetecting fraternity. I have joined this forum in order to gain some experience and knowledge . Is there anyon e in Australia who has anything to reveal about the gpx6000 and its annoyances experienced .

Thanks so much Deano for that reveal on the GPX6000 detector,as I'm on the verge of buying the 6000 and join this friendly goldetecting fraternity. I have joined this forum in order to gain some experience and knowledge . Is there anyon e in Australia who has anything to reveal about the gpx6000 and its annoyances experienced .

HaHa. Michael the GPX6000 would have to be one of the most unreliable machines to have ever been produced and survived in any market. Perhaps the only reason in has continued to be sold is that it is one of the best performing gold detectors and Minelab are quick to respond to the many, I guess thousands of warranty repairs.

Mate, just start at the beginning of this thread, because that's its very topic. It's up to 9 pages now and still growing!

The most annoying part is that the damned thing works so well when it's working. If not for that, it would have been written off long ago.

To avoid the problems with the 6000 it's easy buy an garrett axium as good as the 6000 build quality is far better and 2k cheaper. Just my opinion. PP

~

The Avante’s collar works great! My machine come in today🤪 yippie I can detect again!

Also kiddos to Nolan for a quick turn around!

~Michael, glad I could help. I think all the “new” 6000 machines have had this external speaker audio bug corrected and the problem has already been fixed on any new purchases. On the older machines the problem was “not” noticeable while wearing headphones but the problem was only noticeable on the external speaker.
~The only other problem I know of with the 6000 was the stock GPX 11” coil had some problems with the wires.

~Michael, glad I could help. I think all the “new” 6000 machines have had this external speaker audio bug corrected and the problem has already been fixed on any new purchases. On the older machines the problem was “not” noticeable while wearing headphones but the problem was only noticeable on the external speaker.
~The only other problem I know of with the 6000 was the stock GPX 11” coil had some problems with the wires.
Thanks Deano for that info about the gpx6000. Very helpful.Thanks again.