Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received my GPX6000 back from Minelab they did a very good job on the repairs and a quick turn around. The problem wasn't there originally but came over time. Every now and then a bump of the coil would cause the GPX6000 to turn off or shut down with an error message coil error.
Then after a while turning on the machine would reset it and it would be ok for sometime it the next bump. Thinking that it was the coil it was changed out for the 14" DD from the 11" Mono. Didn't make any difference to which coil was being used. The Battery was checked and maintained a full charge. I did notice a one point when the Display was gently tapped the machine shutdown with the coil error message displayed.
Kept on trying all different options to get the GPX6000 working continuously but to no joy.
Took the GPX6000 back to where I purchased it and they arranged for a warranty repair, turns out it was a loose or badly fitting connection between the boards. I had heard of this problem before guess it just lucky to get one.
Took it out today for a test on I'm very impressed with the repair and machine it runs perfect scored 8 pieces in an hour 1 piece was in a rock over 6" down no visible gold to see but found it when I crushed it.
Thanks again to Minelab service for a great job. :clap:
cheers db

Bonacini said:
Yeah I feel like this cable that joins the 2 boards needs to be like 20mm longer so when putting it together it does not try pull out of the board
It's not the cable length & the boards don't move around putting strain on it or pulling it out.
It's the first GPX to have 2 x boards inside & fitting the cable is a new process.
The issue is around the cable connectors for the boards not being clipped on properly which is a QC issue or even new production process issue. Would have been hard to identify straight after assembly as any detectors checked would likely have operated ok with the cable connections working loose in transport or initial use/s.
It shouldn't be an issue on batches after the first one & might be one of the reasons for release delays (while they check machines that have been assembled & sent for sale)?

Detrack said:
So just how many faults has the GPX-6000 has had to date ?

:skull:

Don't seem to be too many issues to date ...... a couple of faulty coils and one wiring issue (that I'm aware of anyway).

May be an idea to have a post dealing with known issues and how they've manifested themselves as a service so that when a few more of us end up getting our units we don't waste time wondering ... is this the noise the coil should be making?, is it touch sensitive (but shouldn't be)?, should it be resetting giving me an error message?

Nothing worse than wondering if it's me (or you) or a machine fault .... have been plenty of instances in the past where people (including me) have persisted only to find there's a fault with the coil/machine ..... who knows how many nuggets we've let live.

Add me to the list, fresh off the charger full battery, nice and tight coil cable and battery, brand new GPX 6000, took it out for the first time today, massive noise on top of the threshold, like there was a 60 cycle hum, had to have the volume maxed, sensitivity was fine but audio was terrible, good at boot up but then 10 minutes in got nasty and the machine rebooted 5 times inside of one hour, had to repair etc.. tried with cable only, still rebooted, audio was a bit better but still a double threshold, one the real one, one that sounds like electrical noise, probably cus I have to have the volume cranked, will try some different wired headphones and see if that helps.

Jen :/

Re my post above (#10), resolved... Debbie with Minelab USA and Doc from Doc's Detecting Supply (https://docsdetecting.com/) stepped and I had a brand new detector in my hands within 4 business hours.... WOW!!!!!!!!! Ya can't beat that!!! Minelab/Doc.. you win again, customer for life...

PS: That's including the 3 hour drive there and back to Doc's store.. Had I been in the same city I'm sure that number would have been even less. :)

Jen :heart:

Jennifer said:
Re my post above (#10), resolved... Debbie with Minelab USA and Doc from Doc's Detecting Supply (https://docsdetecting.com/) stepped and I had a brand new detector in my hands within 4 business hours.... WOW!!!!!!!!! Ya can't beat that!!! Minelab/Doc.. you win again, customer for life...

PS: That's including the 3 hour drive there and back to Doc's store.. Had I been in the same city I'm sure that number would have been even less. :)

Jen :heart:

Wow, sounds like that one had a serious meltdown, very glad it was resolved, no-one can complain about Minelab service getting things rectified (but I'll always complain about the price of their product).

Bought an ex Demo unit .... just have to wait till lockdown is over to get to use it ... roll on November!!!
At least it's been used and being a demo union would hope Minelab checks them out pretty well before making them available.

Thanks for posting your experience.

I just received my GPX6000 back from Minelab they did a very good job on the repairs and a quick turn around. The problem wasn't there originally but came over time. Every now and then a bump of the coil would cause the GPX6000 to turn off or shut down with an error message coil error.
Then after a while turning on the machine would reset it and it would be ok for sometime it the next bump. Thinking that it was the coil it was changed out for the 14" DD from the 11" Mono. Didn't make any difference to which coil was being used. The Battery was checked and maintained a full charge. I did notice a one point when the Display was gently tapped the machine shutdown with the coil error message displayed.
Kept on trying all different options to get the GPX6000 working continuously but to no joy.
Took the GPX6000 back to where I purchased it and they arranged for a warranty repair, turns out it was a loose or badly fitting connection between the boards. I had heard of this problem before guess it just lucky to get one.
Took it out today for a test on I'm very impressed with the repair and machine it runs perfect scored 8 pieces in an hour 1 piece was in a rock over 6" down no visible gold to see but found it when I crushed it.
Thanks again to Minelab service for a great job. 👏
cheers db
You forgot to thank Minelab for their outstanding quality control at factory level that gave you the problem in the first place, have to give them credit where it's due!

If you want to get some concept of just how many problems there have been with the 6K, have a read through the following thread from a USA forum.
Bear in mind, these are only the ones who complained on the forums, which represents just a small percentage of the ACTUAL faults !
This comment from the forum owner sums it up very well : " I'm very sorry for everyone experiencing issues with the 6000. This plus rod and EMI issues take the shine off the machine. There are way too many production issues with this very high priced detector. Not a good look Minelab. People expect more at this level. "
And this from a forum member " There’s 4 of us with 6000s who meet up in Nevada, and on the last outing Tom’s machine was just crazy sounding out of the box and had to be sent back. That’s a 50% crap rate in our little group! I do wish Minelab would put a little more effort into quality control too. "

https://www.detectorprospector.com/...-has-had-issues-with-their-gpx-6000/#comments

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like that one had a serious meltdown, very glad it was resolved, no-one can complain about Minelab service getting things rectified.
Hi Teemore...... actually all things considered, yes, I can complain. It wasn't "Minelab" that took care of this defective out of the box machine with a replacement, it was Doc (a local dealer who I bought it from) who stepped up and wrote a scathing email to Debbie and crew when they wanted me to send it in for repair, a process that could have taken a month, for a detector bad out of the box. I would have understood if they'd said we'll repair it if I had even had a chance to use it but to sell a broken item then demand it get repaired with a delay not replaced is terrible customer service, Doc told them this. Minelab did not replace my defective unit, DOC DID!!!! Out of his inventory as part of HIS excellent service, I imagine when my repaired one is ready they'll send Doc a new one to cover the one he gave me but that was totally out of the goodness of his heart. Minelab couldn't have given less of a damn. As soon as I verified the new one didn't have the problems so I could have a clear conscience, I sold it as quick as I could get rid of it..... lesson learned.

Thanks again to Minelab service for a great job. 👏
cheers db
Hi Deb, sorry to hear you had issues, i drove to warwick from Brisbane yesterday and had my GPX 6000 have issues on its first outing, packed up and drove straight back home to try and sort warranty, hoping for quick turnaround at Minelab.

If you want to get some concept of just how many problems there have been with the 6K, have a read through the following thread from a USA forum.
Bear in mind, these are only the ones who complained on the forums, which represents just a small percentage of the ACTUAL faults !
This comment from the forum owner sums it up very well : " I'm very sorry for everyone experiencing issues with the 6000. This plus rod and EMI issues take the shine off the machine. There are way too many production issues with this very high priced detector. Not a good look Minelab. People expect more at this level. "
And this from a forum member " There’s 4 of us with 6000s who meet up in Nevada, and on the last outing Tom’s machine was just crazy sounding out of the box and had to be sent back. That’s a 50% crap rate in our little group! I do wish Minelab would put a little more effort into quality control too. "

https://www.detectorprospector.com/...-has-had-issues-with-their-gpx-6000/#comments
Did you contact the dealer you bought it from?
Sorry i didn't mean to confuse the thread ,Grubstake if your reply is meant for me, yes i contacted the supplier, the issue is turnaround time, id have to send from Brisbane to Perth and then they would send to Adelaide, they suggested a direct contact to Minelab and they have been great at this stage. I leave for Clermont mid May so hoping to have it back by then. Just need to chase my 17" coil now as its been delivered to North Qld and I'm in Brisbane.

Add me to the list.
1st time out, I used the DD. An audible hum came from the coil itself, and although it worked, I got very little depth.
Today I had a chance to use the 11" mono for the first time. Every time it touched the ground it sounded off. Even thick grass sent it screaming. Unusable. Later I met another 6k user. We swapped coils to see if it was just a coil issue. My coil was no good on his machine. His coil was "better" on my machine, but after a few minutes, it played up as well. I noticed that his coil coneccted much better onto my machine.
Back to minelab it goes....not real happy after spending 8k.

Bad news Dave, and just more of the same from this 6K release ! :rolleyes:
If there had been this many issues with a car release, a national recall would have been issued, but not Minelab ! :mad:

Latest posts