GPX5000 Modifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An update for those interested in Detectormods by Woody;

https://www.facebook.com/detectormods/posts/3905998062753593

My report; I have a 5000 that was modified earlier this year. I have a 2300, 7000 and Equinox 600 to compare with so a fair spread.

The 600 is a typical, though extremely good quality and performing relic and coin hunter, never had great results on gold.

The 2300 is typical of everything you read, shallow small with a depth on larger stuff to around 12 inches (in my experience). Elliptical coil assists in ground coverage and pinpointing.

Detectormods

My 5000 was modified by Woody with the current 2020 mods. I noticed it ran smoother and deeper on small targets. It also ran a bit clearer on large deep targets. The front end gain control is easy to learn and use.

Notice most of my reports only mention mild improvements - I was looking to get everything I could out of the detector, and happily paid a fortune even though the gains were minor.

Using the detector with the modifications can be challenging to get stable as having the extra gain, you need to run conservatively so as to not overload it when you hit a target. Now there is a new modification coming? Do I keep the 5000 and get it down, or get some cash back in the kitty and sell her (with MANY coils)?

Detectormods Mono EMI Filter: Noticeable improvement on smaller coils but had little improvement on larger coils (15 inch plus).

Detectormods LTBooster Ver.3: While I noticed a very clean MASSIVE boost in sound, there was only a little difference to the target tone. There did not seem to be any filtering. The general amplification level was extremely clear and powerful - no hum or hiss.

eBays magic EMI shield: I've always been very critical of this, but after using my detector for some time, I decided to remove it to try and save weight as I have back problems. I noticed an immediate increase in interference at multiple sites. Technically, I understand the shield makes no electrical/theoretical sense - but that's what happened to me. Maybe it helped block my large pick or pinpointing magnet or something else??

Although I'm reasonably green with the 7000, fine gold is the best I've ever seen, sometimes to annoyance when I found a "flake" like I've only ever seen in a pan - but you have to relearn many of your skills and settings as it differs from any other detector I've used.

Let me be clear, I love the 5000 - especially with the selection of coils I have, but my back doesn't like it anymore. The modifications DID make an improvement, though not as significant as what you would expect for $2k, but it was my choice and I was happy to part with the money. I am interested to see Woodies next big thing as he has publicly made some monumental claims. If they play out, I may delay the delay of my 5000???

I have to say a-team, that type of modifying of detectors is just something that l've never really understood. We have people bastardising the sdc to try to make it find bigger and deeper gold. Then We have people Bastardising 7000's trying to make them ping smaller gold. I guess if that's how people want to spend their money it's up to them, but there's no way I'd spend my dough on letting someone other than mine lab crack open my 5000 and fiddle around with it.

What's the bet when the 6000 comes out there will be people offering to make it do what an sdc, 5000, or 7000 can do for a few thousand bucks? :lol:

You may as well keep the 5000 now?
Firstly I'm not keen on mods especially for GPX series detectors. Some modders will even tell you they are largely not necessary. An older SD/GP I would get modded for experimental curiosity though.

Used ~$3500 + $2000 on mods so I'm assuming you've spent about ~$5500> on it? Plus coils?
My thought is that you could have gotten a brand new detector with warranty + brand new coils & other goodies through dealer negotiation for that.
You won't get anywhere near that back on a modified machine IMO & they can also be difficult to on sell unless you find the "right" buyer quickly.
It may be best to keep it & if keen on mods then use it to keep satisfying your curiosity on new mods?
More expense though.

If you do decide to try & sell it then in my experience when selling a used detector less is better from the sellers perspective. i.e. if you bundle a heap of coils & other gear with it potential buyers will still try to get the price down & want the extras for next to nothing. IMO it's best to put together a fairly stock package with only a few sweeteners just to give your sale some value.
You'll get a better return for yourself selling some coils & other extras separately if you don't mind selling more individual items.

If you don't like the 5000 because it's hard on your back then you'd better make sure you've got your harness/bungy set up well on the 7000 or you'll be hating it in no time. People with a poor set up or who don't use some support with the GPZ will usually end up paying for it in the long run.
Part of the reason I sold my GPZ was due to me aggravating previous back injuries through other sport. It wasn't caused by the GPZ but even with using a somewhat weightless system I was suffering after a day or two on the GPZ. Went back to a QED, SDC then finally GPX.
My backs come good now - touch wood & I don't get any issues with using the GPX or in general but it's something I need to be aware of with detecting. Would love a Zed again but then if I get a flare up fear it'll sit idle again.

Just out of curiosity are you finding much gold with the modded 5000?
I seen that you had said that pre Covid you were finding a lot of targets then post Covid not so many. Did that also coincide with getting the mods done?

Be aware - Modifying any Minelab detector not only voids the warranty if still current, it also eliminates any repair work by Minelab. So modding a $6,000 detector that may still be worth half that or more second hand, turns it into a "boat anchor" if something goes wrong. :)

Minelab make no secret in refusing repairs on any detector modified from OEM.

Yeah, I'm fully aware of the ramifications of modifying a Minelab, but I'm not here to argue that point. Mine was purchased already out of warranty - I researched Woody and his clients to make up my mind. Yes, very experienced people know how to read and control their machines like a surgeon. I got the Mods done in the first half of the year to help me speed up what usually take years to learn (better target identification and location) - wasn't during a lock-down period.

Just out of curiosity are you finding much gold with the modded 5000?

Answer: definitely find more targets, and smaller ones shallow to deep. eg; copper boot tack with 18 inch NF spoked Advantage down near 20 inches at Heathcote but Gold still eludes much of my searching though got a nice little .26 grammer with the ZED last week. I use the 7000 exclusively now and have much less physical issues than the 5000. If the next 5000 mods are only marginally better I will definitely move it on. If it bypasses the ZED, she might get a little more swing time and an investment in a light weight battery and other lightening tweeks.

I have a basic electronics background and do believe ideas and improvements CAN continue to evolve an existing design. I just have to follow a bit of blind faith in the tech doing those mods. Woody also videos all his results - most others do not. I find running it with an 11 or 12 inch coil perfect - there are combinations that work and others that do not after modifying. Just want to stress that Woody "is the only person I would" let operated on my machine.

So what if this is possible, to improve the existing design - lets say tenfold? I'd be putting my cash up front again. But at this point it does sound a little beyond belief. You must agree the basic design is at least 10 years old, even replacing components with new ones having tighter tolerances will improve things eg; a simple SMD resistor may have only been available as a 5% back then, ten years on, that same resistor could possibly be made and purchased more economically as a 1% tolerance. To me that's a 4% improvement in that resistors job, tighter tolerance, better results in its simplest form?

mbasko - I agree, this sounds like a smart idea if I decide to sell. I have many very good top-end and top price coils that would get me more cash back if I split the sale. I will look into that after I see what all the fuss of the new mods are about.

As to carrying the 5000 rig to the 7000 rig, I have multiple neck and spinal ailments and have found the 7000 better balanced and more ergonomic. It has allowed me to go for much longer so I guess it's different for everyone. I always use a hipstick that is set up correctly, carry a UHF and pick plus scoop. The 7000 rubs my neck a little, the 5000 rig aggravates my lower back, but I enjoy not being tethered and the WM12 on my chest works perfectly.

Not sure how mods can speed up learning target ID & location? IMO you either pick it up quickly or you don't. I can't see a mod speeding that learning process up?

Personally I don't think I'd get Woody to mod any of my detectors but each to their own. He seems to have as many detractors as he has supporters. Some of his videos, not that I've watched a lot of them, have left me with some doubts.
I have used Woody's lightweight camcorder batteries before though & they do the job but are pretty basic.

Mick (AuMan on the forum) would be someone else to consider.
A lot of people swear by his mods especially on the F1A4 detectors.
Again it's not my cup of tea though. My GPX sniffs gold out ok for me ATM. :Y:
The quality of his aftermarket batteries & wireless audio systems looks to be top notch in comparison to the camcorder set ups.
If my GPX battery or ProSonic gives up the ghost I'll be getting one of his lightweight batteries with inbuilt wireless audio:
https://www.detectronicsaustralia.com/shop

mbasko said:
Not sure how mods can speed up learning target ID & location? IMO you either pick it up quickly or you don't. I can't see a mod speeding that learning process up?

It's just my opinion, but I do find it mildly smoother on mineralised ground, but no real EMI improvement and with my ears (I can't use headphones - years of surfing caused problems) I notice a definite clarity in target signal sounds and response, thus identifying them easier (for me) - not finding gold any easier, that's still the same :lol: .

I think this is more of an individual thing, I was looking for what he was offering at the time, but must admit, am cynical about his preemptive claims to out perform every other detector on the market....? I got what I needed from his current mods, no more - no less.

Mick (AuMan on the forum) sounds interesting, I will look ito him and his work - thanks for the tip :Y:

mbasko said:

Personally I don't think I'd get Woody to mod any of my detectors but each to their own. He seems to have as many detractors as he has supporters. Some of his videos, not that I've watched a lot of them, have left me with some doubts.
I have used Woody's lightweight camcorder batteries before though & they do the job but are pretty basic.

Mick (AuMan on the forum) would be someone else to consider.
A lot of people swear by his mods especially on the F1A4 detectors.
Again it's not my cup of tea though. My GPX sniffs gold out ok for me ATM. :Y:
The quality of his aftermarket batteries & wireless audio systems looks to be top notch in comparison to the camcorder set ups.
If my GPX battery or ProSonic gives up the ghost I'll be getting one of his lightweight batteries with inbuilt wireless audio:
https://www.detectronicsaustralia.com/shop
Been using the Woody "camcorder" setup for years. Brilliant.

Don't get me wrong, the "camcorder" battery set up is good & does the job. It's reasonably priced in comparison to other aftermarket commercial products too.
Brilliant? It's really only a ~$50 battery rewired for a detector which isn't too difficult to make if you can solder etc. There have been members here make their own or even enclosed li-ion packs, modified lipo packs etc.
One drawback is the lack of any inbuilt audio amplification for speaker use etc. You need to use a booster/amp if you want to amplify speaker volume.
Also personally I don't really like the wiring coming out of the Detectormods "camcorder" battery or the piggybacked audio socket/cable.

On the other hand an enclosed lightweight battery, with inbuilt wireless audio + receiver unit & audio socket for wired connection if required, for not much more than a replacement stock GPX battery. Also has inbuilt 12v charger.
A little more difficult to produce especially for us minions.

When you look at the cost of even cheap lightweight batteries then add good wireless audio + booster if required then I think the Detectronics set up is a well made & pretty good value option that's put together well (no loose wiring or need for added on cables for wireless etc.).
Less wiring/cables equals less points vulnerable to failure IMO.
Chalk & cheese really. :Y:

Having purchased one of the Detrectronic Aus. wireless battery systems, I can honestly say that it is a quality bit of kit... very well built :perfect: , with the added bonus of a cable free setup. :Y:

I'm very sceptical of any mods done on any machine, I'd sooner leave the machine standard, as minelab have a better reputation than some backyarder in a shed with an oscilloscope.

Just my 10cents.

The basic 5000 design is over 10 years old, I'd like to think that after many years working with detector electronics any decent tech would be able to find ways to enhance the operation of older designs. To what extent these improvements make a difference is always going to be debatable, it's just my opinion from using the modified detector that I have found sensitivity and depth improvements. That being said, this quote from his FB page...

After months and months of testing this is the end result, an absolutely killer modification for GP and GPX detectors. So much expense, time and effort went into this. It will blow everything else into the weeds.

...is a very optimistic claim. Not impossible! just that it better be backed with some real life independent testing before I spend any more cash there. And I will if it is as Woody claims. The one thing that I don't like is hearing about the next super dooper upgrade before it has been demonstrated.

SUBJECT A: "Look at me, I can jump that high"
SUBJECT B: "show me?"
SUBJECT A: "ok, boing...oh, sorry, I can only jump this high"

Until you are actually showing me, I don't want to know about it.

Things that did and didn't work.

1. eBay magic "EMI shield" has now been renamed the "Magnetic shield" - MY test results, definite improvement, but not from EMI.

2. Detector Mods Active Booster 3: one hell of a powerful little amplifier, but found little improvement in target tone discrimination, when it's that powerful, not sure the tone control would be needed anyway.

3. Detector Mods EMI filter: found improvements on low EMI/natural EMI days, but with bad weather or motorbikes and aircraft around, no noticeable improvement.

4. Detector Mods 2020 GPX 5000 upgrade: Lifts targets out of the mud (not literally) sharper targets. More sensitive on smaller targets - found smaller bits of trash than before at all depths, noticeable edge on larger deep targets - BUT what I did not like was that you sort of have to UNLEARN and RELEARN your machine. It also involved more setting fiddling to get the end result right. Maybe a small price to pay, but that is just MY OPINION.

mbasko said:
Don't get me wrong, the "camcorder" battery set up is good & does the job. It's reasonably priced in comparison to other aftermarket commercial products too.
Brilliant? It's really only a ~$50 battery rewired for a detector which isn't too difficult to make if you can solder etc. There have been members here make their own or even enclosed li-ion packs, modified lipo packs etc.
One drawback is the lack of any inbuilt audio amplification for speaker use etc. You need to use a booster/amp if you want to amplify speaker volume.
Also personally I don't really like the wiring coming out of the Detectormods "camcorder" battery or the piggybacked audio socket/cable.

On the other hand an enclosed lightweight battery, with inbuilt wireless audio + receiver unit & audio socket for wired connection if required, for not much more than a replacement stock GPX battery. Also has inbuilt 12v charger.
A little more difficult to produce especially for us minions.

When you look at the cost of even cheap lightweight batteries then add good wireless audio + booster if required then I think the Detectronics set up is a well made & pretty good value option that's put together well (no loose wiring or need for added on cables for wireless etc.).
Less wiring/cables equals less points vulnerable to failure IMO.
Chalk & cheese really. :Y:
solder
I meant brilliant for cost. The thing most people forget when using the camcorder batteries is that they do need a regulator inserted. A lot of people who can solder don't have that ability. I used to run mine through a home made bracket with an ebay regulator connected. ( until I started using Woody's) How it looked or felt was never a consideration.

Making your own battery packs up is at your own risk but the 8.4v (7.4v nominal) camcorder batteries don't need a regulator for the GPX? The GPX stock battery is the same voltage i.e. 8.2-8.4v fully charged (7.4v nominal).
You'd only need a regulator if using them on SD/GP series.
An inline fuse probably isn't a bad idea.
The GPX is internally regulated & also has low voltage shutdown @ 7.1v (low volt warning 7.3v).

mbasko said:
Making your own battery packs up is at your own risk but the 8.4v (7.4v nominal) camcorder batteries don't need a regulator for the GPX? The GPX stock battery is the same voltage i.e. 8.2-8.4v fully charged (7.4v nominal).
You'd only need a regulator if using them on SD/GP series.
An inline fuse probably isn't a bad idea.
The GPX is internally regulated & also has low voltage shutdown @ 7.1v (low volt warning 7.3v).
exactly. I was referring to GP series. I should have said that.