Got a Miners Right ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Hi all,
Hope you've had a successful weekend searching for whatever tickles your fancy, still to pan out a bucket of cons to see if my efforts were fruitful.
Here's the rub .....
Was stopped almost immediately by a local Parks Ranger asking if I had a miners right, no problem there.
Asked him about rule/access/potential restrictions and road conditions.
He was helpful in all regards his only proviso ...... FILL IN YOUR HOLES!!!!
I was testing a few sections of a stream and was sorry to see that in a kilometre or so on each side nothing but hole after hole after hole .......
Guess it's just a long winded way of saying we'll only have ourselves to blame when some areas start being declared off-limits due to inconsiderate fossickers, if they're mentioning it and it's so prevalent then ?????
Cheers Tom

I find it frustrating to see people doing the wrong thing by our hobby as well, and unfortunately I've been to a few sites myself that reflect a very similar story. It takes only a minute to back fill a hole so I can't see why some people choose not to, I mean they've gone to all the effort of getting out there and digging it, so why not take a moment and fill it back in?

It's important to uphold a certain level of integrity when out detecting or fossicking in this beautiful country of ours, and it's always great to see our members regularly encourage and re-enforce good habits throughout the forum.

At the end of the day, all we can do is ensure we do the right thing and continue to educate newcomers on acceptable practices.

It is discouraging when im walking around the triangle to see holes everywhere but as nugget said it is our job to educate people as far as we can (there will always be some that ruin it for all)
And my pet hate is never ever dig on an oval, as i work for a council and if it ever happens it will be banned in under a week as liability for them would be horrendous

Latest posts