Good or bad signs for gold ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNug

Joel
Reaction score
1373977931_bedrock_creek.jpg
1373977961_img_1922.jpg
1373978006_mineral_photo.jpg

2nd day around, still no signs of gold. Does this location look like a good gold area or am I wasting my time ?

Regards
Joel

Have they found gold there before? If they havent, then most likely wasting your time. Test pan, test pan and test pan is the only way to be sure.

Depends where you are Joel.
You need to know if flood gold comes through there or not , or whether the area is in gold country , etc
If you research the area, you then can see if you are wasting your time. Cheers Paul

I found a lot of black sand after digging 3 foot down into a dried out river bed (ancient riverbed), no gold though.
The river bed is about 150 meters up from the big flat bedrock. But just because there is black sand doesn't mean their is gold... right ?

And I can't find any historical entries of gold being found around my property. The only thing that made me start looking for gold is my mother told me her friend found some embedded in a rock under other rocks in the creek.

Regards
Joel

Joel, in the top pic of the big flat rock, see where the water is pooling... if there are holes filled with gravel an rock in them, dig these holes out and get all the dirt out.. pan it and see.. look for rock bars across the stream and the old river bed.. test pan all the crevices you can find.. flood gold should be in first six inches of the gravels. If you are going after placer gold, you will have to dig down in the old stream bed you hve found, look for rock bars... crevices or change in layer of gravels.. Many many vids on youtube that show this..

Check this link out, shows some good examples of where to look and what you are looking for!
http://www.angelfire.com/ga4/orlandogpaa/StreamGold.html

Much appreciated for that info Tone ! I will definitely check that link soon and give that area a bit more of a "workout" tomorrow.

Diggerdude' I am in the area of Corndale, New South Wales 2480.
The geological information I have researched shows good signs for gold to be found, or to be around.
Maybe I am using wrong techniques ! (I am new to prospecting)

Cheers !
Joel

Latest posts