Good camping mattress ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im looking for a comfortable mattress for camping Im using the Coleman blow up in a double but its way to uncomfortable for my mrs and I its actually terrible We refuse to go back Out camping till weve found a comfortable bed . I know swags are great but we use a tent so some sort of mattress would b better . Any recommendations would great..cheers

It can depend how hard you blow them up . Try using less air pressure , test at home . If you have the room , you could take a roll of foam at least 100 m.m. thick . There are different grades , soft ,medium , hard etc.

After many years of trying various camping beds, I bought a Spinifex Queen sized "double high" airbed about 6 mths ago... on special at Anaconda for around $80.

It takes up 75% of the floor space in my tent but it's brilliant...just as comfy as my waterbed at home, and I love that it's high up off the floor, so no more moaning and groaning getting up from it in the morning :lol:

It takes about 5 mins to inflate with a portable pump and also has a built-in pump if you have power (takes about 3 mins).

I've also had my adult daughter sleep on it with me and she was amazed how well she slept.

Nothing like a good sleep to make happy campers :)

Edit...just checked and they're currently on sale at Anaconda for $99 if youre interested. Ask them to set one up for a trial :)

Mike678 said:
It can depend how hard you blow them up . Try using less air pressure , test at home .

Definitely second Mikes comment.
Rule of thumb, blow up the mattress testing along the way, when it gets to the stage that you can lightly press your clenched fist into the mattress and you can still contact the ground you have the ideal pressure. (Initially you will think, it is no way pressured enough but as Mike says test it at home.)
Because we are usually out prospecting in the winter months, the ground is very cold overnight. Another very handy option is to cut a section of carpet to the base size of your tent. It can be rolled up separately and not take up a great deal of room. When your tent has been erected roll out the carpet then place and blow up your mattress.
:inlove: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :goldnugget:

I have lived in a tent for more than 12 months , mainly a few months at a time . It is surprising how much body heat goes through the bed to the ground . When you get up put your hand underneath and check . Put one of those blue tarps under to stop the heat loss . Double is better . If you get a leak in the airbed , tip 1/3 of a cup of water in . Blow it up and shake it around , a wet spot will appear where the leak is . Mark with texta . Let the air out and allow to dry before putting a patch on . Nothing worse than the bed going down in the night . I never got on well with camp beds , hard to turn over .

I have found that when my weak 12 volt air pump stalls , then that is the pressure I want ! Potato sacks are also good to put under the bed and one at the entrance to the tent . Handy to stand on to get dressed if you have a low tent .

Mickybees said:
Im looking for a comfortable mattress for camping Im using the Coleman blow up in a double but its way to uncomfortable for my mrs and I its actually terrible We refuse to go back Out camping till weve found a comfortable bed . I know swags are great but we use a tent so some sort of mattress would b better . Any recommendations would great..cheers

Im assuming that you are not backpacking the mattresses around?
If thats the case, look at a stretcher and a mattress, way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

Iv played with the pressure on the mattress and seems if Im comfortable the mrs is not and the other way round to also the mattress does not breathe so even with a sheet over the mattress plus the sleeping bags its not right...Im leaning towards stretcher and maybe a self inflating mattress or just some breathable foam

I use a folded up queen size doona on my Kmart pump up mattress when camping. The mattress is only a single size so I fold the doona into 3, this gives a nice fluffy padding between me and the crapy mattress. The mattress is pumped up so it's fairly soft also. Our caravan mattress gave both my wife and me a terrible sleep so we bought a mattress topper. The difference was chalk and cheese and it also stops a lot of the cold coming up from below the mattress. The cruise ships we've been on all use some form of mattress topper to make all their bed super comfy.

When I was camping , most of the time I slept in a sleeping bag . On top of that I had a canvas tarp which kept me warm .The canvas needs to be of medium weight , mine is the canvas from an old toilet tent . There are a lot of different sleeping bags . One time I had to go into town and buy a better one , my old one was an El Cheepo .

Oh ! by the way if you are sleeping on the ground , put newspapers or card board under the bed , it helps to keep the cold out .

We have 2 of these not cheap but very warm. Used to use them in a tent, wife wanted them in the camper trailer & in they went never regretted it. Use a Coleman 12v pump to inflate them.
1595725422_935c7460-bab1-4e45-9e98-178223a62ccd.jpg

When you are buying this gear you have to think about the cost and the amount of times you will use it . Unless you have won Lotto ! I have bought a large solar panel for a few months use . It would have been cheaper to use the generator .

After having a few different self inflators, I bought a Zempire Monsta Mat from Snowys. Very similar to the Exped, but a bit cheaper. It is very comfortable, and it is remarkable how small a package it rolls up into, considering it is a double. Puts the others I have tried to shame.

I'll be getting a single to use on a stretcher inside the RV 4 tent for when I am camping alone (which to be truthful is most of the time because Mrs Duck is a reluctant camper!)

It has a reversible one way valve which really helps with the packing up process. Snowy's has a handy video to show you how to roll up the mattress.

https://www.snowys.com.au/megamat-twin-camp-mat

Latest posts