Goldfields Joey

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It wasn't the color I wanted, but it certainly is my best souvenir from the 'Old Timers' to date, and really made my day :)

An 1859 Queen Victoria (young head), solid silver threepence. (or a 'Joey' as they were nicknamed in UK)

Hard clay, about 2" deep, and next to a tree!......The GMT nearly blew my eardrums on her.

Been in the ground for a long, long time and is in fairly poor condition, however the bi-carb helped a bit.

2ah5vfb.jpg

2z4k1m9.jpg

Regards

The tree bases are always a good spot to search, you never know what might have dropped out of an old timer's pocket. Here's hoping for a sovereign next time round. ;)

Jaros said:
lOOKS LIKE IT COULD BE WORTH $50+ ON EBAY

Your no doubt right Jack but being my first coin from the goldfields, it will live proudly in my pre-decimal coin collection.

Before I caught gold fever, I was a coin & relic hunter and have many grand finds. At that time i lived in the CBD and had permission from the Shire of Melb to hunt Flagstaff Gardens as long as I had my miners right, there was no more than 3 of us, and all plugs were replaced, which I always obeyed.

Goldpick said:
Here's hoping for a sovereign next time round.

Oh how I would love a gold sovereign or a 1930 penny!

Have Florins, Pennies, Half Pennies etc etc but the sov has always eluded me to this date.

Regards

Latest posts