Gold Pans information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been out again today and I will say, I love the Garrett super sluice pan. But I am thinking of getting the Eureka Gold Pan from BCF as a back up pan. Has anyone used one, and what are they like?

8-8-22.jpg

The BCF Pan that I am thinking about ?

064692cf-26d9-45c4-83ef-9997b7481f6b_1.2bb3793e03bf6c488d9b4e0853e1497e.jpeg

I have been out again today and I will say, I love the Garrett super sluice pan. But I am thinking of getting the Eureka Gold Pan from BCF as a back up pan. Has anyone used one, and what are they like?

View attachment 3525

View attachment 3527
On very fine gold I have been told to buy the deep blue ones as it shows up good, and buy one with the middle bottom as large as possible, on fine gold never buy a turbo pan as they are just a heavy frisby, may be OK if the nuggets have size, but pepper gold definitely not

View attachment 3525

View attachment 3527
I used the Eureka a hand full of times and unfortunately it cracked in the base, I found the polymer a weaker structure compared to the Mine Lab.

Ill be interested in trying a garret pan next once my minelab decides to retire.

Anyone purchased one of these "Maverick Gold Finishing Pan". Dont appear to be stocked in Aus, anyone used one?

Video of one in use .

Looks like it has something going for it.

if you are looking for something outside the box pan wise gravy ,grab yourself a banjo pan
i find them quite good wet panning and even better for dry sampling/panning
it has got me buggered how that mat works when dry panning but i don't think it misses much if any at all
just have to learn the technique for dry or wet panning

Yes technique and skill is all important when panning. Also we pan for different reasons. One reason would be to recover gold from a sluicing run another would be prospecting or loaning.
Maybe the Maverick pan might be ok for recovery but hard to see it being good at the latter.
For the latter I would favour a standard round pan with retention riffles on one side and nothing on the other. When looking for that finest of first colour to indicate you are onto something you need absolute control of the water flow to spread the heavies out on the clean side of the pan.
PS We can be very inventive with pans and remember once out in the bush with a workmate near a gold bearing creek. Keen to show off how gold panning was done but without a pan, the hubcap of the bosses car did a reasonable job. And yes we did get colour.

View attachment 3525

View attachment 3527
We do a lot of panning in dry areas and carry baby baths which we fill from jerry cans. We use Garret Gravity Trap pans but feed the discharge into Garret Super Sluice pans in the baby path. This slows the build-up of discharge directly into the bath so that the water stays clear longer. We also return the spoil to the Gravity Trap pans for a second treatment and, depending on how much clay is present, sometimes a third, fourth or more repeats.
In rich areas we often keep recovering gold after 4 or 5 pannings. This would not be necessary in flowing water where we could use a sluice box, or in still water where we had room for more vigorous agitation of the paydirt but in the confined space of a baby bath it works well.

Latest posts