Gold Pan Sizes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezzabelle

Jeanette
Reaction score
Hi fellow prospectors,

I am researching some gold pans for my partner, as you all know Father's Day is not too far away. During my search, I noticed the vast array of differing sizes in the gold pans. Can anyone tell me if the different sizes are different uses? If so, can you please explain....

Feeling a little lost and overwhelmed. Thanks in advance :)

I'm no panning expert by any means, but there's a couple of things to consider when choosing a gold pan. This includes the volume of material to be processed, the coarseness of the material and the portability of the pan.

Volume
Generally a bigger pan can process more material, though I believe this to be dependent on the user more than anything.

Coarseness
Most modern pans have riffles (a series of catchment groves), and the size and depth of these can vary. Generally the smaller the riffle, the smaller the material should be processed with it. Some smaller pans are used to simply "finish off", so in this case the material might have already been processed down by a larger pan or another means.

Portability
This ones pretty obvious, but smaller pans are great to carry around in a back pack, where some of the larger ones wont fit.

I would suggest checking out the Garrett Deluxe Gold Pan Kit http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/deluxe-gold-pan-kit/ which has it all OR their slightly less comprehensive kit http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/gold-pan-kit/

I own the Deluxe kit and can't fault it.

Nugget.

Garrett have the best pans, and either one of those 2 kits are a perfect fathers day pressie i reckon.

jason

If you don't want to get a whole kit the Garrett Super Sluice pan is a great large pan for around $30. It comes with the deluxe kit as well.

Thanks guys, I was looking at both of these kits before I posted on the forum :) You have made my decision alot easier....

I have a Super Sluice, it is great and catches eveything, I just picked up a Turbo pan, yet to test int he field but tests yesterday at a panning comp were positive to say the least.

Good luck, practice practice, practice, learn the pan and the "feel" and you cant go wrong.

Cheers, Tone

I have a Garret Prospector 14" pan, can pan a full load in under a minute and I have every confidence in it to keep all the gold in it.

Latest posts