Gold evolution

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi PA mates

Im from Newcastle and looking to get into some gold hunting with my Mrs and son. We love camping and getting outdoors, so gold and gem hunting sounds like a fun activity for us to learn together. Our home is full of all kinds of mineral specimens we've collected over the years - some we've found when we were young whilst playing around on the train lines, but most of them we've bought because they're beautiful collection pieces.

We'll be going camping/ highbanking with a work mate over the Easter break to Tuena, so we'll be picking his brains and hopefully finding some of the yellow stuff. :)

Sorry to ask questions on my first post, but before we start committing some cash to various tools and our own gear, can anyone tell me if there's worthwhile places to prospect for gold within 2-3 hours of Newcastle? I've done a little research, but at this early stage of our prospecting careers, it all seems quite confusing. Due to work commitments, we're limited in how far we can travel from home, and kinda want to know if we'd have anything worth working nearby. I know there are/were some gold mines in the Barrington area, but looking at the NSW fossicking maps these may be off limits.

Anyway, hope to chat with you all a little more often. Not that I'd have anything to contribute being such a newb! haha. Ill just lurk and read in the meantime ;-)

Cheers n beers

Hi Psycho, The number one thing I would do is look at the tenement holdings in the area/s you are thinking of going to and then see what they have on their web pages. Then make contact with the company and find out from them if and if so how you will be allowed to detect on their ground. Getting access, permission and understanding individual companies requirements is very important. Then talk to the companies chief geologist about the ground.

Latest posts