⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1403172567_pic_0569.jpg
1403172633_pic_0590.jpg

Still on my holidays prospecting around Halls Creek WA but this is what I have found so far. As well as some very nice people with a lot of info to share. Thank you guys. Found with ML GPX 4500 and 11" DD.

Nice speci. Is that how you found it or after being broken open because that does not look like it was on its own, especially the small pieces on the edge. Nice and sharp good gold that is 100% the original source. Quartz looks good too - the staining is a very good sign. Any coloured slates around the area? Wherever you were, I would be flogging the area for sure. Well done mate!!

loamer said:
Nice speci. Is that how you found it or after being broken open because that does not look like it was on its own, especially the small pieces on the edge. Nice and sharp good gold that is 100% the original source. Quartz looks good too - the staining is a very good sign. Any coloured slates around the area? Wherever you were, I would be flogging the area for sure. Well done mate!!

Hi loamer,
No it definitely was not on its own. This is the larger speci piece that I chose to share. More so because I was so excited to have such a great piece showing original source.

The area discovered is very fresh and new. Lucky find indeed.

Hope I can share lots more from the spot.

Great find mate. Just as an example, I got a feint signal on the 4500 using an 18" NF mono for a 1/4 ounce speci. The gold was very similar to yours and basically just kept going down in pockets of about 1/2 ounce for a total of 9 ounces - obviously the deeper stuff would not have registered as it was just too deep. The quartz was the same and the run of what I would call a quartz ledge was intersected by blue-green slates running along a north south heading. either side of the ledge is a duffer and I was on what appeared to be a leader from a larger worked reef some 500 metres away. The slates are always a good 'indicator' and it been a matter of following the intersection between the two. The tools I ended up using were crow bar, cold chisels (to get the gold out of the quartz blocks), sledge hammer and hammer. Trick with the tools? Do not use any el cheapo crxp as you will end up with small pieces of metal breaking off from the poor quality metal which will give false readings. I bet you have already found that extracting the quartz from the main bulk is hard yakka - it can be hard to get a leverage point. One thing I did find was that on the 4500, the 'throwouts' were not registering but running them across an Xterra VLF I got positive readings and when I have some down time I dolly them up for the grand kids to pan off - very fine but good gold. I would not discount any quartz, rocks or soil coming out of your digging area. Well done!! Patience pays off eventually. ;) Good to see one of the forum crew get onto a good find.

Thanks for the positive feed back guys.
Truth is I found this spot by accident. I was actually exploring a new mountain bike area (my other hobby when it doesn't break me) Lol.

Anyway I came across some interesting ground and the rest is history. Some of the soil has been turned over by track builders for the mountain bikes. Heading in their detecting I have been very very quite on finding gold there. No issues on detecting, just don't want to give it away.
My story has been to the interested mountain bike riders asking 'what are you looking for mate'?
My reply, someone lost a wedding ring and I'm trying to help them out. Lol

loamer said:
Great find mate. Just as an example, I got a feint signal on the 4500 using an 18" NF mono for a 1/4 ounce speci. The gold was very similar to yours and basically just kept going down in pockets of about 1/2 ounce for a total of 9 ounces - obviously the deeper stuff would not have registered as it was just too deep. The quartz was the same and the run of what I would call a quartz ledge was intersected by blue-green slates running along a north south heading. either side of the ledge is a duffer and I was on what appeared to be a leader from a larger worked reef some 500 metres away. The slates are always a good 'indicator' and it been a matter of following the intersection between the two. The tools I ended up using were crow bar, cold chisels (to get the gold out of the quartz blocks), sledge hammer and hammer. Trick with the tools? Do not use any el cheapo crxp as you will end up with small pieces of metal breaking off from the poor quality metal which will give false readings. I bet you have already found that extracting the quartz from the main bulk is hard yakka - it can be hard to get a leverage point. One thing I did find was that on the 4500, the 'throwouts' were not registering but running them across an Xterra VLF I got positive readings and when I have some down time I dolly them up for the grand kids to pan off - very fine but good gold. I would not discount any quartz, rocks or soil coming out of your digging area. Well done!! Patience pays off eventually. ;) Good to see one of the forum crew get onto a good find.

Hi Loamer

how deep was that first 1/4 ouncer you got with a 'faint signal" on the 18" mono coil ?

thankyou

1404642407_sdc_2300.jpg

The bride spent a few hours today understanding the ML SDC 2300. Got a couple of small ones out at Whroo with the left of shot being a .075g and the right a .033g. The only way to use this machine is with the headphones as too much is lost through the speaker. Tested the pieces under the 5000 with a Sadie NF coil and only got the faintest of hit on the larger and only when passed within 10mm.

Yeah ...... detector find No. 2 ...... east of Ballarat with the SDC, trash ratio about 50:1 without counting the absolute screamers that I walked away from. Think another SDC may have been through the area based on the number of recent shallow scrapes AND a big thank you to the blokes who refilled their holes ...... with the rubbish still inside.
Cheers T.

1407234699_image.jpg

Latest posts