⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a couple of friends drop in on their way from Newman to Perth. We've not been out lately because we're still trying to tidy up things in Capel and move everything we need north. Anyway these guys gave me an excuse to brave the heat and head out for a swing. They turned up at 7am and unloaded their new 300cc Kawasaki quad. I took the little Honda 90 and we headed out to a spot where I've pulled a few little ones out before.

1548681320_specie_20-1-19.jpg

I started the ball rolling with a tiny nugget imbedded in a kilo of quartz.

1548681393_2.1g_20-1-19.jpg

A little while later the SDC screamed like it had struck a can but the target was in a low bank and easy to dig so I scraped an inch off to uncover a nice little 2.1g nugget. If it would have been in the loose sand I'd have lifted the coil and kept swinging :)

1548681581_3.145_20-1-19.jpg

By 11am I'd had enough of the heat and headed home.

The two Poms kept swinging all day and only returned when they were well and truly cooked by about 5pm :argh:

1548681760_steve_amp_jan_20-1-19.jpg

They did well with better than 6.5g of gold so headed off with a smile on their dial :) :money:

Nice piece Pat, leave some for me mate, I should be down that way in a couple of weeks, just waiting for it to cool down a bit.

Licking windows said:
Redfin said:
Pity this forum wasn't around in 1869 [sic] , Deason and Oates would have loved to put up their find.

John Tully with a replica at the reenactment last week.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/232/1549358090_capture.jpg

With detector technology improving every year and more and more people taking up the hobby and exploring harder to get to locations does any one think the welcome stranger,s record will ever be beaten??
I hope so, I think there's still plenty of BIG nuggets out there no doubt and with changing landscapes and better technology it's only a matter of time before we see one presented to the public, only time will tell I suppose.

Good evening fellas - took my alluvial gold finds in to sell today and let the gentleman know that was going through my finds that the silver coloured nuggets might be mercury . Anyways after having them XrFed , turned out that they are electrum or green gold (60% gold, 40% silver traces of copper)I decided to keep them . Heres the pic . The 2 nuggets on the left are the electrum specimens , the one on the right is a gold nugget to contrast the difference.
1549363676_2fb93eb2-a999-4199-abce-812752fe41bd.jpg

Danny13 said:
Good evening fellas - took my alluvial gold finds in to sell today and let the gentleman know that was going through my finds that the silver coloured nuggets might be mercury . Anyways after having them XrFed , turned out that they are electrum or green gold (60% gold, 40% silver traces of copper)I decided to keep them . Heres the pic . The 2 nuggets on the left are the electrum specimens , the one on the right is a gold nugget to contrast the difference.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3676_2fb93eb2-a999-4199-abce-812752fe41bd.jpg

Hell Ive been throwing that stuff out thinking its foil. Maybe!
But seriously Ive learnt something today. Thanks Danny13. :Y:

Good find Patrick. Ill catch up next time I get down that way.

1549448877_image.jpg

Takes my tally to 3 this year. A total blank out at 2 inches still within the leaf litter. Dig em all sounded like a horse shoe. Ill let yas know after I work out specific gravity test thingy formula. I reckon has to be easy over 7g is my guess when specie weighs 28.45g. Waiving the nsw flag strong