Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

ched66

Chris
Reaction score
This wasn't here when I posted pics this morning.........I think they're in the wrong place now! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Yeah that's alright mate, we'll leave it as is. Feel free to post them again if you like, up to you.

Reaction score
Hi all, went for a quick swing this morning.
Picked up 13 little pieces and 3 species, there is no visible gold on the larger piece of quartz
but it does give off a really good signal.
All 3 species come from the 1 hole.
Picked up with a 5000 and an 8" Detech coil

Cheers

Hardyakka

1400216228_003-optimized.jpg

kemjak57

Rick
Reaction score
Nice going Hardyakka they might be small but they are the right colour and they're yours. Better than I've found lately. No wonder you don't need the trommel any more :)

Reaction score
Cheers guys, kenjak57 the trommels actually been producing more for me lately....

Reaction score
1400253779_2013-12-25_29.76_gr_resizedb.jpg

Been in the Pilbara detecting for a while as a hobby. If I had to live off it I would be as skinny as a rake, but enjoying every moment of it. Just survived a summer and looking forward to get out there now it is cooler. Using a GPX 5000 with a NF 17 x 11 elliptical coil.

Reaction score
Nice speci. Is that how you found it or after being broken open because that does not look like it was on its own, especially the small pieces on the edge. Nice and sharp good gold that is 100% the original source. Quartz looks good too - the staining is a very good sign. Any coloured slates around the area? Wherever you were, I would be flogging the area for sure. Well done mate!!

G

loamer said:
Nice speci. Is that how you found it or after being broken open because that does not look like it was on its own, especially the small pieces on the edge. Nice and sharp good gold that is 100% the original source. Quartz looks good too - the staining is a very good sign. Any coloured slates around the area? Wherever you were, I would be flogging the area for sure. Well done mate!!

Hi loamer,
No it definitely was not on its own. This is the larger speci piece that I chose to share. More so because I was so excited to have such a great piece showing original source.

The area discovered is very fresh and new. Lucky find indeed.

Hope I can share lots more from the spot.

Reaction score
Great find mate. Just as an example, I got a feint signal on the 4500 using an 18" NF mono for a 1/4 ounce speci. The gold was very similar to yours and basically just kept going down in pockets of about 1/2 ounce for a total of 9 ounces - obviously the deeper stuff would not have registered as it was just too deep. The quartz was the same and the run of what I would call a quartz ledge was intersected by blue-green slates running along a north south heading. either side of the ledge is a duffer and I was on what appeared to be a leader from a larger worked reef some 500 metres away. The slates are always a good 'indicator' and it been a matter of following the intersection between the two. The tools I ended up using were crow bar, cold chisels (to get the gold out of the quartz blocks), sledge hammer and hammer. Trick with the tools? Do not use any el cheapo crxp as you will end up with small pieces of metal breaking off from the poor quality metal which will give false readings. I bet you have already found that extracting the quartz from the main bulk is hard yakka - it can be hard to get a leverage point. One thing I did find was that on the 4500, the 'throwouts' were not registering but running them across an Xterra VLF I got positive readings and when I have some down time I dolly them up for the grand kids to pan off - very fine but good gold. I would not discount any quartz, rocks or soil coming out of your digging area. Well done!! Patience pays off eventually. ;) Good to see one of the forum crew get onto a good find.

joe

Reaction score
Reaction score
Nice speci piece, Well done Lambs 73. :)

Well DD you must have a very nice patch of ground. That's hard yakka digging all them. Well done. DD

G

Thanks for the positive feed back guys.
Truth is I found this spot by accident. I was actually exploring a new mountain bike area (my other hobby when it doesn't break me) Lol.

Anyway I came across some interesting ground and the rest is history. Some of the soil has been turned over by track builders for the mountain bikes. Heading in their detecting I have been very very quite on finding gold there. No issues on detecting, just don't want to give it away.
My story has been to the interested mountain bike riders asking 'what are you looking for mate'?
My reply, someone lost a wedding ring and I'm trying to help them out. Lol

Reaction score
loamer said:
Great find mate. Just as an example, I got a feint signal on the 4500 using an 18" NF mono for a 1/4 ounce speci. The gold was very similar to yours and basically just kept going down in pockets of about 1/2 ounce for a total of 9 ounces - obviously the deeper stuff would not have registered as it was just too deep. The quartz was the same and the run of what I would call a quartz ledge was intersected by blue-green slates running along a north south heading. either side of the ledge is a duffer and I was on what appeared to be a leader from a larger worked reef some 500 metres away. The slates are always a good 'indicator' and it been a matter of following the intersection between the two. The tools I ended up using were crow bar, cold chisels (to get the gold out of the quartz blocks), sledge hammer and hammer. Trick with the tools? Do not use any el cheapo crxp as you will end up with small pieces of metal breaking off from the poor quality metal which will give false readings. I bet you have already found that extracting the quartz from the main bulk is hard yakka - it can be hard to get a leverage point. One thing I did find was that on the 4500, the 'throwouts' were not registering but running them across an Xterra VLF I got positive readings and when I have some down time I dolly them up for the grand kids to pan off - very fine but good gold. I would not discount any quartz, rocks or soil coming out of your digging area. Well done!! Patience pays off eventually. ;) Good to see one of the forum crew get onto a good find.

Hi Loamer

how deep was that first 1/4 ouncer you got with a 'faint signal" on the 18" mono coil ?

thankyou

Latest posts