Going wireless on SDC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a similar set up. A tiny lag but great volume time and 12 hrs use time. Also works on the Makro Gold Racer.

I read that the SDC2300 doesn't come with a volume control, so if I use headphones without a volume control are you going to blast your ears off? and does the set that comes with the detector have volume control?

Mick

Sorry Mick but no volume control on the machine or the standard earphones. Wouldn't say that I've blasted my ears off. The real issue is that with just the machine speaker it is pretty hard to hear. I have no hearing issues and I have trouble. Bring in some wind in the trees or a bit of water running in a river - forget it.

Seems to me that people are concerned about a lag on signal response. To me this is probably not worth worrying about. When using the sdc2300 you should be using a slow swing speed. If you are swinging very quickly then a lag could be a problem. But if you are swinging that quickly you are missing targets anyway no matter what machine you are using. Low and slow is the way to go.

neddy said:
Seems to me that people are concerned about a lag on signal response. To me this is probably not worth worrying about. When using the sdc2300 you should be using a slow swing speed. If you are swinging very quickly then a lag could be a problem. But if you are swinging that quickly you are missing targets anyway no matter what machine you are using. Low and slow is the way to go.

The unit I have as linked above from Jaycar has a lag of 40ms as per specs. I have tried it on my TV just to see if the picture and sound was out of sync and there was nothing I could noticeably pick up.

neddy said:
Even at a slow swing it's worth worrying about. For most anyway - people will have differing levels of tolerance or sensitivity to audio latency. I find any noticeable to me lag off-putting & annoying. Over the years of me using a variety of wireless systems on a variety of detectors I've found most people the same when comparing notes. Having lag or delay on the audio sucks & most gold detectorists I know subscribe to the low + slow theory.

If you can watch TV without picking up any out of sync from visual to audio then they will be good for detecting. Some of the cheap Bluetooth sets are akin to watching old dubbed Asian movies. You see the lips move then hear what's being said out of sync. For me that's not acceptable audio but each to their own.

I'd rather pay the money than have the lag ................... now I wonder if Nenad sent me a xmas present :D

Can't see any GPX users buying into this if the only way they could/can use it is to mount the battery on the machine.

Yeah fairly pointless if you've still got your battery in the harness. If you've got a lightweight battery that can be attached to the control box it'd be ok though. More aimed at the SDC IMO.

Yeah i agree i think I'd save the $399 and just use the wired speaker or headphones, coz your still attached to the battery anyway, and with the speaker or headphone lead you can always tuck it in to keep it out of the way. Its a nice idea but not really beneficial for the GPX user unless the battery is mounted to the control box, but then you'll end up with one arm bigger then the other :p

I run the small mine lab battery on the 5000. Battery comes with the full cover/holder etc that goes round the control box. I purchased a small power lead and it works perfect, no leads etc. The battery gives a good three hours and from start of battery low warning you get another 40 mins. So plenty of time for a quick charge in the car over lunch. The weight is negligible and you can get your 6 hours in for the day if you wish. I use Nenads set up and it transfers over to the sdc in quick time.

1483414042_dsc00480.jpg
1483414053_dsc00481.jpg

I know $400 is a lot for a wireless setup but this is good stuff, I feel the audio is actually better than the WM10 and WM12 as even when your body is between the RX and TX it runs uninterupted. The volume control is great, it allows the use of a speaker but with the volume down on the SDC to calm it down a bit, have tried the unit plugged into the GPZ headphone jack and allows a slightly lower volume limit and volume on the Z which helps with EMI and ground noises so you can just then turn volume up on the RX instead of the Z. This is the kind of thing I was searching for when I still had the 5000 as you have one wire going from headphone jack to TX. And Minelab can you put the same metal clip on the WM12 from now on please and the rubberised coating on the plastic.

I've just received two of the Pro Sonics.
One for the wifes SDC2300 & one for my GPX4500. I already run the GPX with the (full size) battery on the back of the detector so I'll be completely free from that bloody curly pig tail lead :mad:
If the units are as good as the packaging they'll be bloody fantastic.
The units are very light & very compact & they look & feel like Minelab have gone the extra mile with them. They just look like QUALITY. I know ........ at the price they should but I believe if ya want quality ya have to pay.
I won't be in a situation where I can give them a full work out for a couple of weeks but I'll let you all know what I think ..... but I already think they are gunna be brilliant.
Rob.

Just had a good look at the new Pro Sonic for my SDC and it seems that I cannot use the supplied SDC headphones because of their unique SDC QD plug? Seems that I would need to purchase another set of headphones on top of the Pro Sonic to use together (the receiver only accepts 6.5 audio jack and I believe no adaptor lead is available, bugger), just need to spend more $$$. Im puzzled why Minelab wouldn't manufacture and supply a cable to go, 6.5 jack to male SDC plug, to suit their designed products?

Does the external speaker have enough practical value to spend on buying the extra phones v's just purchasing PhaseTech's Deteknix Pro setup? I don't know... :|

Hi JD Gold.

I have just cut the unique SDC plug off the end of the SDC headphones & I'm about to (attempt) soldering the wires from an old 6.5 jack I had laying around.
I'm finding it very hard to tin the fine wires running out of the SDC headphones. They also have fine Kevlar (I think) fibers which don't help.
The 6.5 has only two wires +pos & -neg but the headphones have three..... red, white & black. I'll have a go at it & if all else fails I'll call on the son who is a sparky & pretty good at this sort of thing.

Rob.

Latest posts