GM1000 vs ORX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger58

Peter Diggins
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a newbie and after much research have decided to get a GPX4500 and great coil to match as the main beast eventually, but for starters, I am almost sure I will get the GM1000.
I just have that little niggling doubt that maybe the ORX might be a bit better. I saw one vid showing how fast the ORX was finding a target and descriminating.
I am 90% interested in gold rather than coins and relics. I can't find good info or vids about ORX though, so does anyone have a recommendation? GM1000 is a proven and solid machine, so if ORX is about the same I'll still be undecided unless it is way better.

Thanks in advance for your advice, cheers. :Y:

if I was buying a GM1000 today specifically for small gold (prickly/quartz speci etc) it would be a hard choice I think.
But, if I was after a dual purpose machine, I think the XP would take my money, for the better range of coils & higher frequencies available

from the XP website http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/metal-detector/orx/
HF coil technology (21 Frequencies ranging from 13 to 81kHz).
X35 coil technology (35 Frequencies ranging from 3.7 to 27.7kHz).
Extreme sensitivity to small targets with high frequency 50kHz and 81 kHz.

but .... high mineralisation can wreak havoc on any high freq VLF, including the Monster

Hi DD, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've seen that link. Quite an impressive list. I'm tempted but would like to see good vids and feedback from users. I don't like feedback from manufacturers or others associated with a product as they have an interest, even trying to be impartial is not safe as there is bias involved even if they are not aware of it.
Decisions, decisions. Which one?
Cheers DD.

Hi RM, thanks for the reply. Yep, seen that link and have watched him a few times now. Between him and another guy called ShaneO they have had a massive impact on me. If I knew the ORX was as good I would buy it as it does a lot more than the GM.
Cheers RM.

Digger58 said:
Hi DD, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've seen that link. Quite an impressive list. I'm tempted but would like to see good vids and feedback from users. I don't like feedback from manufacturers or others associated with a product as they have an interest, even trying to be impartial is not safe as there is bias involved even if they are not aware of it.
Decisions, decisions. Which one?
Cheers DD.
It's a shame and frankly it's your loss. Most retailers in the metal detecting / prospecting industry I know or have dealt with, have been nothing but honest and will tell it to you warts and all.

Good retailers use the products they sell and most know them intimately. (I'm not talking Anaconda etc) Most also sell competing brands so will encourage you towards what best suits your requirements and budget no matter what brand it is.

There is bugger all profit in metal detectors, so money is made by good customer service and keeping repeat happy customers. It's a small industry so you wont stay in business for long peddling bullsh!t.

Unfortunately there are so many who think because you are a retailer or a manufacturer you automatically have a bias or are a liar and what you say cannot be trusted.
If that is the case just ask and I can give you a list of a dozen or so on this forum who's threads or comments you can skip over...including mine.

Yes, it is my loss madtuna because I can't trust people anymore.

I used to be trusting, but if you only knew of how much I have been ripped off and lied to in my life it would honestly have you believe I am making it all up. Additionally, I have been involved in retail and have seen and heard too much from that sector that would make you as cynical as I am.

I'm happy for you that you have the view and outlook that you do have, I really am.
I'm sad I have my perspective but it is set in stone.

I don't automatically assume "...there are so many who think because you are a retailer or a manufacturer you automatically have a bias or are a liar and what you say cannot be trusted." That is your opinion because I don't think like that, I just am very wary about putting all my faith and belief in anyone.

I'll finish with this, the people who are supposed to be at the top and be leaders and shining examples to follow are: banks, franchises (7/11, Caltex, etc.) Coles and Woolies, Politicians, and the list go on. All have an agenda. All have done wrong to benefit themselves. So if the people at the top can't be trusted who can? No-one?

Cheers madtuna, and Merry Christmas. :)

Hi)
I dont understand which is better than GM1000 or Xp Deus for finding native gold on difficult mineralized ground?

Thank you very much)
In addition to the GM 1000, I am thinking of buying an ORX too, but I think I'll be tortured with the settings on hard ground (maybe someone knows the ORX settings for these tasks?))) :beer: :beer:
Ded Driver said:
On difficult mineralised ground you are far better off with a Pulse Induction machine.
All the VLFs will struggle

Maybe that's the answer. I looked at this same video before buying my ORX 2nd hand. People report finding gold with both. All probably depends on what areas, how versatile, what functions etc etc. Is there one more perfect than the other?

I got my ORX for $700 and reckoned if it ended up being no good for me then I haven't lost too much. So far it has found a few coins but haven't been to any gold areas as yet but am fairly confident that if it goes over some it will pick it up. More about getting out and wandering around anyway for me

Good luck with it

Rodt said:
Maybe that's the answer. I looked at this same video before buying my ORX 2nd hand. People report finding gold with both. All probably depends on what areas, how versatile, what functions etc etc. Is there one more perfect than the other?

I got my ORX for $700 and reckoned if it ended up being no good for me then I haven't lost too much. So far it has found a few coins but haven't been to any gold areas as yet but am fairly confident that if it goes over some it will pick it up. More about getting out and wandering around anyway for me

Good luck with it
Thank you friend :fistpump:
Orx is friendly with coins, this is understandable.
But how with it to look for nuggets on heavy soil where there are a lot of hot stones?
I cannot see the information about the settings.
Maybe you know where they write about this? :beer: ;) :beer:

Ded Driver said:
On difficult mineralised ground you are far better off with a Pulse Induction machine.
All the VLFs will struggle
This is understandable, but what about Orx? There is little information about the settings of this device for finding nuggets in hard terrain with hot rocks. Orx is just convenient and in search of coins, two in one should play) :beer: :) :beer:

GoldenMan said:
Rodt said:

Good luck with it
Thank you friend :fistpump:
Orx is friendly with coins, this is understandable.
But how with it to look for nuggets on heavy soil where there are a lot of hot stones?
I cannot see the information about the settings.
Maybe you know where they write about this? :beer: ;) :beer:

Don't know the answer personally but see link below (in case you haven't already read it) for the manual that may assist

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/telechargement/Instruction_manual/ORX_MANUAL_EN.pdf

Cheers

Rod

Latest posts