Geradton rangers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwk

Reaction score
The town of Geraldton rangers have taken their "power" to new extrems in this town.
Although I have a miners right and have tired to explain the rules and rights that it gives me, I have been kicked off beaches and parks by the local rangers who have threatened me with trespass and or vandalisim charges.
No I do not leave holes and I do not dig up grassed areas, all I was looking for were coins and relics.
Now the only time I use my detector is when I go bush or looking around ruins out of town, after I ask permission of coarse.
So all I can say is do not try detecting within the main area of Geraldton or Big Brother will try to put his boot into you.

I'd tell them nicely to p""s off if I were on a beach, I can't see how you can trespass on publically owned land, carrying out a recreational activity that is not hurting or adversely affecting anyone else. Councils simply have too much power these days, and too many powertrippers, you can't even sit in your car with your partner at night on the foreshores of Adelaide, watching the moon over the water without a council paid, private security thug demanding that you move on in certain areas. :rolleyes: There is more danger posed by kids digging holes and making sandcastles than from a beach detectorist.

I'd also ask them to produce paperwork on any by-law that specifically states that detecting is not allowed, pretty sure they won't be able to produce anything.

Many years ago (20 plus) I use to go to the older school grounds and detect for predecimal coins but that was put a stop to by idiots who did vandalise things and other wierdos. Unfortunately I can see a time in the not to distant future where our recreational activity will be either severly cutailed or banned completly.