G'day all

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinman98

John Kleinman
Reaction score
My name is John and I am from Nowra NSW. I currently have a Garrett ace 250 which I like to hit the beach with and have a Garrett ATX on order and cant wait to to get it and go for gold.
I admit I am a newbe at detecting and prospecting however, like so many of us, I have dreamt of doing this for a very long time and now finally have the time and maybe not so much the fitness to fulfill the dream.
So I hope to learn a bit here and hopefully luck willing will share my adventures sometime.

Gday and welcome John
I lived in Nowra for 15 years, moved away about 5 or so years ago. Even played footy for the Nowra Blues :)
you will get lots of info from this site and they are all decent folk with lots of knowledge. Good luck hunting :cool:

Rod

G'day John welcome to the forum :)
I'm new as well and have found it a wealth of information here :)
Happy hunting .

Welcome aboard John.

Once you got your first bit of gold you'll be turned into an addict.
There is no cure, but there is more gold.

Welcome John , This is a great forum with a mix of new and seasoned people and you will find most of the answers and advice you need here, but we are always learning every time we go out. And don't worry the fitness will come ! You will be amazed at how many km you can walk when you got the fever !
Regards Bill :cool:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm currently waiting for delivery of my new Garrett ATX kit and look forward to some detecting after november. Got to pickup a 4x4 to get me out and about and then I'll be all set.

Hello John,
Yes i know about the 4x4 problem. I have bashed my ute..Falcon xr6 into all sorts of places to find that elusive nugget. Poor thing is getting worked to death. One thing id love more than a gpx 5000. is a big crappy 4x4 to bash around into the tight dirt roads they have down here. to find gold down this way i normally have to squeeze through alot of bogged out roads and big rocks.. This is a top site with good info and alot of help. stay positive and id be hitting the beaches your way looking for that diamond ring...enjoy and have fun. the best days out for me are dragging my 2 and 4 year old around with me. i never find gold when they are around as they are a handful , but maybe one day they will find a nugget of their own.. thats what its all about. Never to young never too old. the gold isnt going anywhere. Just have to find it. Cheers Pete

G'day John, welcome. With info and help from the members on this forum you will be an expert in no time. A 4x4 is handy for this hobby. A 2wd will go most places if the owner takes his time and picks his way along tracks but it can be hard on the vehicle (clutch mainly, gearbox if it's auto). A 4wd is going to give you a bit of insurance that your going to get there and back. You don't need nothing big, I know a retired couple who love prospecting, they have a motor home which is their base camp and a suzuki jimmy which is towed by their mobile home with a "A" frame. The Suzi is decked out with just about everything you need for prospecting and camping for a night or two in the bush. This vehicle will sneak into places easier than bigger 4wd's. Good luck.
:) Mick

Suzuki's all the way :D and welcome aboard kleinman

we have a jimny 06 model, gets us everywhere :D has some substantial mods done too it though to get us that extra bit further away :D

I have had 2 Suzies in the past and they were excellent, however, I do intend to bring the wife and daughter out sometimes and possibly around Oz so may need to tow a poptop.

I found out very quickly that pitching a 10 person tent and packing it back up afterwards is a mugs game so have to change tack.

YEP..And camper trailers are a pain as well... My opinion is that a wind up camper with beds both ends are excellent because they are low,light and are a breeze to set up.. You see more of these in the bush than pop tops.. Only 650 kg and 16 foot long set up with double beds in the ends... :)
kleinman98 said:
I found out very quickly that pitching a 10 person tent and packing it back up afterwards is a mugs game so have to change tack.

I used to have a wind up camper many years ago, it was brilliant, I used to tow it with a Suzuki Vitara 4x4 1.6 litre

Welcome to the forum John. Hope the info in the threads helps you in your quest to get that first big nugget and keeps your interest high. There's a lot of good prospecting areas in your area and I'm sure we'll see a pic here soon of that dream nugget.

Bet of luck out there on the streams,

Cheers Wal, :)

Thanks Wal, I hope to meet you and Liz sometime soon. I love the videos you ans Liz have put on Utube