Garrett AT Gold Search Coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavymetal

Luke Atkins
Reaction score
I just got my new 9 x 12 coil today and was wondering if anyone has used one of these on an AT Gold and what are the advantages/disadvantages to a mono coil?

I don't think they make a 9 x 12 Mono for the AT series, do you mean the 9 x 12 Concentric? I have one of these connected at the moment. I mainly use the 5 x 8 DD but switch over to the 9 x 12 when I require extra depth or ground coverage.

I find both coils to be sensitive with the Concentric going much deeper, but the DD for me is a better all rounder.

Concentric Advantages over DD:-
Extra depth over DD equivelant

Concentric Disadvantages over DD:-
Doesn't handle mineralised ground as well
More overlapping required

DD Advantages over Concentric:-
Handles mineralised ground better
Better target separation
Less overlapping required

DD Disadvantages over Concentirc:-
Less depth penetration

Thanks for the advice Nugget. I just did some air tests and the larger concentric coil will definately go deeper than the smaller DD. I'm gonna give it a go at my favourite showgrounds tomorrow. I'll post the results when I get home. :)

Hi Guys
Wondering if anyone can tell me the advantage of the Garrett 8.5" x 11" search coil over the smaller 5" x 8" supplied with the unit. Keeping in mind I am chasing nuggets in the Eastern States. Took the AT Gold out yesterday down around Snowball South NSW. No nuggets but found the usual bullets, nails, wire etc. Good learning curve though for the first time. Had a great day in some beautiful country.
Nuggett if your out there I know you have a AT Gold.
Cheers to all
Rockerfella :cool:

Hey Rockerfella,

Both are DD coils but obviously one is larger. The larger the coil, generally the deeper it'll penetrate.

The 5" x 8" is great coil for getting in and around tight places, like creek beds and rocky terrain. Its also very suitable for trashy areas where greater target separation is needed.

If the ground you're searching is relatively flat with minimal obstructions, I'd use the larger coil for greater depth penetration.

I hope that helps.

Nugget.

Hello

Which coil is the beat for wider coverage and qith good accuracy. I see there are a few different types but why and which are the best to have. Im only looking at getting one extra coil. For larger surface area. But what are the differences in the avilable coils.which do you recomend for sandy soils?

I have topics on this same subject - Using my AT Gold for the first time on the gold fields, Whats other AT gold users recommend coil wise for searching for gold nuggets ? and what Disc mode do they use ? Thanks

I know this was posted 7 years ago but I would love to hear some answers to this. I'm dusting my old AT gold off and getting back into it and would love some tips. What coil does everyone recommend, not that everyone has had years to test it I'm hoping there are some new ideas.

I spent the weekend detecting in the high country and was most interested in the readings in the 80s to 100s as the front of the detector says that most likely gold, only to read on here that it is the mid 30s to 50s that i should be more interested in. I still dug everything but it's good to know.

In answer to your question, this is what @Nugget posted in the pinned topics
1644480559_screenshot_2022-02-10_at_18-19-41_garrett_at-gold_depth_and_target_ids_page_1_garrett_prospecting_australia_-_gold_prospe....jpg

Hey guys! Loving my AT Gold now that I have finally gotten back into it. Has anyone upgraded the coil? I'm interested in a bigger coil like the Garrett AT 8.5"x11" Proformance DD Searchcoil, but not sure if it's worth the swap for now? Anyone had any experience with this?

Yeah Sorry about that. It currently had the standard coil that comes with that detector, which is the 5" x 8" PROformance DD Searchcoil.

In my experience beach-hunting in dry sand for coins, jewellery, etc., with both the AT Pro and the AT Gold, that little coil is every bit as good as the larger one, which also unbalances the detector, making it uncomfortably nose-heavy.

If I was thinking of going nugget-hunting, the small standard DD is what I'd be taking, although the 4" Garrett Super Sniper might prove useful too, given that most nuggets nowadays seem to be a gram or less.

Id be interested in swapping my large coil for the smaller one if your still toying with the idea.

Latest posts